42 replies to this topic

#16 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:36 PM

For me the flexibility of a modular design has been key and we would be looking at a design that allowed racks of different calibre to be held together, more importantly with 75mm and 100mm than other sizes I think.

Perhaps some flat bar with vertical poles welded at set intervals, to slot in the larger holes that are on the end of each rack?

#17 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:19 PM

well altering the design for someone else is easily done, if someone wanted a full set of them all the same length its noproblem at all

vertical metal poles on a long bar is a good idea yeah, if it was for a set tube size I caould do them close and if for any size simply allow a maximum gap per rod for the 6" ers

#18 cooperman435

cooperman435

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:55 PM

OK Im listening lol

Now a PART modular design is incorperated, the 2" and 2.5" are the same length, so are the 3" and 4" as are the 5" and 6"

now I can either make upright pins at spacing for 6" racks but use then with 2 and 2.5, 3 and 4 or 5 and 6 or make the upright pins spaced for each pair to make them smaller. Ill probably be going with the 6" spacing to make them all the same though.

To be fair the safety distances of thos sets of sizes are a lot closer, I cant imagine many scenarios where 2" are going off next to 6" unlessa huge display in which case pairing them up in those sizes isnt an issue anyway.

better?

#19 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:11 PM

:) Yes mate, your part modular design is probably how we would set up anyway :)

#20 cooperman435

cooperman435

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:04 PM

Ok got the first one welded up now, Ive cut the hole as per the next prototype will have to insert the wood and it looks good.

Ive as I said altered them slightly to a part modular system now with pairs of racks in same length sets to allow similar sized racks to be used together, I see this as a pretty good comprimise as large shells wont go with small ones anyway.

need to make the pin down holes larger to allow thicker pins, I intended to use 10mm but after hammering one in think 15mm ish may be better

apart from that it looks good now I recon, tell me what you lot think though please

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2766.jpg
  • IMG_2767.jpg
  • IMG_2768.jpg
  • IMG_2763.jpg
  • IMG_2764.jpg
  • IMG_2765.jpg

#21 Firework Crazy

Firework Crazy

Firework Crazy

• UKPS Advertisers
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:06 AM

I think they look really good. I like the ideas of the loops.

I would try and get the 2.5", 3" and 4" all the same length. We use 2.5" & 3" a hell of a lot with a 3" in the middle and 2.5" on the outside or vice versa, makes some great fans.

I'm a bit pissed off with pyroquip at the moment, I've now been waiting over a year for the completion of my order which has been paid for, i've sent several emails in the last few weeks and got no reply.

May be a letter from the court service might speed them up!
Regards.

Mark

Posted Image

#22 cooperman435

cooperman435

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:35 AM

I looked at making them all the same yes but due to the length they worked out at naturally those pairs were just a maximum of 35mm diferent so very little modifications to be made and almost no weight added, to make them all the same would ahve meant a 150mm extra section on two and 130mm on another two which would equate to a lot of weight and more cost.

Id phone them and explain its now past their (ridiculous!) 15 to 60 day delivery time so either send them with some refund for time wasted or refund in full, not the best threat if you actually really need them though :-)

letters from the court are all good n wel but if the goods arent there to send it wont get you them.

#23 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:25 AM

I looked at making them all the same yes but due to the length they worked out at naturally those pairs were just a maximum of 35mm diferent so very little modifications to be made and almost no weight added, to make them all the same would ahve meant a 150mm extra section on two and 130mm on another two which would equate to a lot of weight and more cost.

It can be done, without causing any wasted space on the racks, I managed it on mine.

Out of interest how heavy are the bare racks?

Edited by digger, 25 May 2012 - 03:18 PM.

Phew that was close.

#24 cooperman435

cooperman435

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:22 PM

If I sacrificed some of the spacing between shells then yep making them all the same length is easilly doable, BUT Ive gone for decent gaps to aid safety in the case of CATO, Id rather have very safe racks than convinient lenths :-)

If I remember right the 2" one came out as 7.1kg on the paperwork, could be less as it may have been when they quoted them to me made of 3mm throughout and now the top n sides are 2mm. DONT quote me on that though,

#25 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:46 PM

If I sacrificed some of the spacing between shells then yep making them all the same length is easilly doable, BUT Ive gone for decent gaps to aid safety in the case of CATO, Id rather have very safe racks than convinient lenths :-)

If I remember right the 2" one came out as 7.1kg on the paperwork, could be less as it may have been when they quoted them to me made of 3mm throughout and now the top n sides are 2mm. DONT quote me on that though,

Are the pictures of a 3" rack? they are closer together than mine.
Phew that was close.

#26 cooperman435

cooperman435

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:53 PM

no its a 2" with 10mm gaps

#27 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:54 AM

I think I have 17mm maybe more on 2" I will have to dig out the drawings. I did try and get as much space as was reasonable without sacrificing count.

P.S. not argueing. If were to do mine again I would make a couple of changes to make the mounting system slightly different and I would change the detail on the tie off's slightly.

But I have to say having them all the same length is pretty useful, it can be done without sacrificing / wasting space or count. It does take a bit of design time on CAD moving things around until the best fit on length and count is found.

One of my main design aims was to present as little area to a CATO as possible. Hence the low profile sandwich at the bottom and round tubular connections between the top and the bottom. There has been a detail change to the bottom since the pictures were taken.

What I do like about your racks is the minimal welding. They have given me an idea for a new design.

I do like the general idea of the pyroquip racks, but I do think they can be improved on.
Phew that was close.

#28 Firework Crazy

Firework Crazy

Firework Crazy

• UKPS Advertisers
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:57 AM

Don't forget if racks aren't the same length you can't strap them together either, well you can but you will end up with huge voids.

On a small show you would be setting up numerous pods of racks, defeats the object really. Just my 2p
Regards.

Mark

Posted Image

#29 Firework Crazy

Firework Crazy

Firework Crazy

• UKPS Advertisers
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:58 AM

It's all well and good saving a few bob in the build, but the extra time it takes to set up transport more equipment than necessary would soon cost more than the initial extra outlay.
Regards.

Mark

Posted Image

#30 cooperman435

cooperman435

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:13 AM

Lol Dont worry, my reply was as my eyes were dropping so short as possible :-)

I assume that the 17mm gap on the 2" was due to the calculations used to fit a decent number in whilst maintaining rack length?

Ive increased the gap per tube size to give what I feel is a good standoff for the given size

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users