• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sam Miller

Sam Miller

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:17 PM

I've made many a star before but I'm new to the making of comets.

Can anyone suggest an easy simple comet formula to make?

They will be 22mm

Cheers

Sam :)
I am a artist in many ways but I can not draw...

http://www.youtube.c...0123legoman3210

#2 Sparky

Sparky

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:42 PM

There will be far more experienced people along with good advice soon I'm sure but here's my 2 cents.

I'd start with a nice simple tiger tail type formula and experiment with the charcoal mesh. Or even try some titanium / ferro-titanium too.

Basic Tiger tail
Potassium nitrate 44
Sulphur 6
Charcoal 44
Dextrin 6

I use wet mixing initially so the KNO3 soaks into the Charcoal, I'm not sure if that really makes a huge difference but I've had good results. I also sometimes use about 75% air float and 25% 60 mesh as it increases the duration of the tail. It won't pump nicely with too much moisture so I let it dry first and then get it to the right dampness for pumping.

I also use a home made comet pump made from PVC pipe and jubilee clips though for 1.5 inch comets. I've cut the pipe down one side so the clips hold it in shape and after pressing the comp I have to loosen the clips to get the comet out. Anything smaller just looks like a single shot candle to me.

You need to make sure the comet is nice and hard and let it dry well. A good binder is vital I find or they come apart during the lift.

I've also converted a silver waterfall formula by adding plenty of red gum as a binder and that works brilliantly too. You just nee to make sure the burn rate is right for the air time.

#3 Sam Miller

Sam Miller

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:32 PM

There will be far more experienced people along with good advice soon I'm sure but here's my 2 cents.

I'd start with a nice simple tiger tail type formula and experiment with the charcoal mesh. Or even try some titanium / ferro-titanium too.

Basic Tiger tail
Potassium nitrate 44
Sulphur 6
Charcoal 44
Dextrin 6

I use wet mixing initially so the KNO3 soaks into the Charcoal, I'm not sure if that really makes a huge difference but I've had good results. I also sometimes use about 75% air float and 25% 60 mesh as it increases the duration of the tail. It won't pump nicely with too much moisture so I let it dry first and then get it to the right dampness for pumping.

I also use a home made comet pump made from PVC pipe and jubilee clips though for 1.5 inch comets. I've cut the pipe down one side so the clips hold it in shape and after pressing the comp I have to loosen the clips to get the comet out. Anything smaller just looks like a single shot candle to me.

You need to make sure the comet is nice and hard and let it dry well. A good binder is vital I find or they come apart during the lift.

I've also converted a silver waterfall formula by adding plenty of red gum as a binder and that works brilliantly too. You just nee to make sure the burn rate is right for the air time.

Thanks :) I'll give it a go, dose the mix need to be milled?

Sam

#4 Sparky

Sparky

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:35 PM

Thanks :) I'll give it a go, dose the mix need to be milled?

Sam

Nope I just buy my charcoal air float anyway and the rest I coffee grind. I screen it all together through an 40 mesh usually. The wet mixing of the KNO3 really means it doesn't have to be too fine as you are partly dissolving the KNO3 in the water. use a bit of meths too to aid the drying times.

You actually don't want to burning too fast and the trick seems to be getting the KNO3 soaked into the charcoal and getting the fire dust effect from the charcoal.

#5 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:45 PM

Hi Sam,

This is a very nice comet formula,(one of my favourite) blonde streamer by Dave Blesser,

Kno3 45
sulfur 6
charcoal 29
dextrin or sgrs 5
ferrotitanium 100 mesh 15 or similar

Bind with 75/25 water/alcohol.

I would start with airfloat charcoal and then you can experiment with adding a percentage of 80mesh etc.

I use willow charcoal with a percentage of 80mesh pine,they have a faster burn rate but are beautiful.

These charcoal based formulas are easy to over wet,you need it to be crumbly but when squeezed in the hand it will hold together but not ouze any water.

Should take about 4 to five days to dry,also even though they should not need it i also give them a B.P prime for some cheap insurance.

Good luck and it would be good to hear how you get on.

#6 Sam Miller

Sam Miller

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:03 AM

Hi Sam,

This is a very nice comet formula,(one of my favourite) blonde streamer by Dave Blesser,

Kno3 45
sulfur 6
charcoal 29
dextrin or sgrs 5
ferrotitanium 100 mesh 15 or similar

Bind with 75/25 water/alcohol.

I would start with airfloat charcoal and then you can experiment with adding a percentage of 80mesh etc.

I use willow charcoal with a percentage of 80mesh pine,they have a faster burn rate but are beautiful.

These charcoal based formulas are easy to over wet,you need it to be crumbly but when squeezed in the hand it will hold together but not ouze any water.

Should take about 4 to five days to dry,also even though they should not need it i also give them a B.P prime for some cheap insurance.

Good luck and it would be good to hear how you get on.

Thanks :) I've got a load of aluminium flake powder which I was going to look into using to create a "flutter" effect?

#7 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:04 PM

Substituting the Ti with flake aluminium should work fine,it will give you a lovely looking comet.

#8 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:13 AM

With the addition of 325# (250 and 300 will work) aluminium and sodium bicarbonate, you could try D1 glitter.

Potassium Nitrate 53
Sulfur 18
Charcoal Airfloat 11
Aluminum, atom, spher, 325 mesh, 32 micron 7
Sodium Bicarbonate 7
Dextrin 4

Make sure all components are fine powder, and dampen with 6-8% moisture and pump. You can ballmill the meal components for a very short time and screen in the rest, I seemed to get bushier tail after 15 minutes in the mill, but it's not needed. A good screening will do!

#lancasteryellowglitter
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users