Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:14 PM
I've got a really simple small rock tumbler for making small batches of BP (<100g) and I'm already getting better results than I have managed by any other process but I keep having a problem.
I use about 700g of ceramic media that fills the jar about half way. I add in the 100g of comp which the components of have been stored in a nice dry shed in an airtight containers. The jar is under-speed (I am going to fix that) but my understanding is it should still work even if it's slow.
After about 4 hours of milling I find that the powder has clumped together into a grey ball in the middle of the mill. It's not sticking to anything else inside except forming this ball. When I break it up it readily turns back into a very fine, well integrated powder. I granulated some last night to test it and it's not bad. Still lots of room for improvement but still a load better than the CIA method!
I've tried drying the comp in a warm location but it clumped again. I'm going to try drying the components in a warm oven tonight and will try another run on Friday.
Aside from the possibility that my chemicals being a little damp could it be anything else? My storage area is pretty snug and not damp at all so I wasn't expecting this problem. The shed is usually in sun all day too so it's usually quite warm in there.
Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:17 PM
Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:28 PM
That's a new one on me, clumping in the corners yes, but a ball in the middle....
I know it's weird...it's a lovely grey ball. All the comp in one lump right in the middle with all the media going round it.
Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:42 PM
Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:14 PM
An hour spent melting lead + casting your own media will make a massive difference.
I used one to make 20mm balls, about 120 of them. A big improvement on ceramic media.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users