#1 Sparky

Sparky

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:14 PM

Hi all

Does anyone know where you can buy large comet pumps in the UK? I'd like to try comets around 1.5 or 2 inches or possibly even more.

I've made myself a pump out of PVC pipe and jubilee clips but it isn't quite good enough to make them solid.

#2 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:20 AM

Ive the pipe now spare to make 2" and if I remember 3" too, cant't remember who has bought them from me in the past but there a plunger type with interchangeable bases to make flat, indented (shatter) and crosette comets depending on which base you want.

Think of a stinless pipe with a syringe plunger type insert and a plug in the bottom to create cavitys or flat sections

#3 Sparky

Sparky

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:10 PM

Phil, not sure if you are saying that you're going to make some up or not there?

I would definitely be interested in the 2 and 3 inch ones. I absolutely love comets and I want to try making the larger ones with micro stars in the lift.

#4 cooperman435

cooperman435

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:42 PM

yep I do have to make them to order and I'll check tomorrow what size pipes I've got for the outer casings.

#5 cooperman435

cooperman435

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:43 PM

That's what it looks like

This is a 2" comet pump, actual ID is about 42 or 45 mm to allow a leader or wrapping of shatter/crosette comets.

The two bases on the left are top flat comet and bottom shatter comet, I've never actually made up a crosette end for it yet.

photo.JPG

#6 Sparky

Sparky

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:41 PM

Definitely interested in either a 2 inch or 3 inch pump. Let me know how much for either and when you think you'll have some.

#7 cooperman435

cooperman435

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:01 PM

I'll check what pipe I have as that is the limiting factor and is hard to come by. Assuming I've got both I'll do some quick reckoning up to work out materials and time taken and let you know. I'll probably knock myself up a 3" at the same time if I've got the pipe. :)

Would you want a specific base/s for it/them ie flat, crosette, shatter?

#8 Sparky

Sparky

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:13 PM

Not too worried about the base as I'm really focusing on straight comets and want to keep the build time down. Knowing me though I'll probably be asking you for a different base within weeks :unsure:

#9 cooperman435

cooperman435

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:33 PM

Well a flat base is easiest and shatter is pretty much the same, Crosette will take me a bit of work to get right and I suspaect may have to trial some plastic types to get decent release from the comet when its pressed too.

#10 martyn

martyn

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:21 PM

What's a shatter comet? :blush:
Perhaps I know it by another name - is it a comet which uses a rolled shot rather than powder in the crosette cavity?

#11 cooperman435

cooperman435

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:34 PM

shatter is similar to crosette but hasnt the inwards deflected square hole, simply a round one (see the picture I put up as theres a shatter comet plug in it)

they simply shatter randomely rather than split perfectly into 4 peices

#12 Sparky

Sparky

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:44 AM

Phil - I imagine the crosette basis would be a pain to get right. I'm more than happy with a flat base to get me started.

#13 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:44 PM

Crossettes do not need to break into 4 even pieces you know. The fluted square design was I believe made by Rich Wolter sometime in the 80's, and has since been copied, up to an including those brass monstrosities from China. Before that all crossettes had a round hole, and many of the builders still use this traditional design.

#14 cooperman435

cooperman435

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:50 AM

but surely a round hole will not give an even 4 sided break? It wouldnt be a "crossette" but random sized chunks in random directions as there was nothing to regulate the break?

#15 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:54 PM

Round hole will not give a even break but it is the preferred crossette to some, easer to get right.
Freud. Artists, in this view, are people who may avoid neurosis and perversion by sublimating their impulses in their work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users