80 replies to this topic

#1 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 04:43 PM

I've been thinking about UK sources for non mortar tubes, suitable for mines, candles, and other small devices. Is my best bet to re-enforce spiral wound tubes with kraft and paste, or is it worth buying custom made pyrotechnic tubes?

I have found a company which can supply pyrotechnic tubes with an ID of 56mm upwards and decent wall thicknesses, but it isn't economically viable to buy small amounts, as the fee for setting up the machine makes up most of the costs.

Example: 56mm ID, 500mm long, 8mm wall x10 ?43
x20 ?45

Does anyone know of any sources for small tubes which don't need strengthening, or a company which holds small tubes in stock?

#2 a2wpyro

a2wpyro

When i say bo u say selecta, BO!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 05:08 PM

http://www.essextubes.co.uk/flash.html
Then if you go to enquires, you can select what types of tube you need.

Edited by a2wpyro, 19 February 2004 - 05:09 PM.

#3 pyrodude

pyrodude

pyrodude

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 05:16 PM

are you looking for small tubes (up to 3 1/2 inches long) or long tubes (any longer)

#4 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

Light Up The Sky - KF Pyro Crew

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 06:47 PM

If you deal with Essex, dont go over 4 - 5mm wall or the quotes start going all over the place. There equipment is not capable of producing thick walls on small diametere tubes but on larger tubes it is no issue and they do have stock of mortars.. see list on there web site for sizes in metric.

Mark
KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

#5 sasman

sasman

Sasman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 02:04 AM

I was just about to place an order for some cardboard tubes but having just seen the shipping costs from USA(90$) for 25 30"long 3/4" ID) i think id better either Buy them in the uk or make them myself :(
The tubes im looking for are parallel wound tube 3/4" to 1" ID by 30" long wall thickness 1/4... For 1 pound rocket and stinger,fountain... etc..Has anyone on the forum got any good quality tubes from the uk?
Djinn you say if dealing with essex tube? dont go over 4 or 5mm The tubes im looking for are 6mm..are there any other good suppliers in the uk?(crayford tubing?)..
I just watched a video (AFN Paper paste & String by John "doc" Vico) I was hoping it would show hand made paper tube but it didnt :unsure: ..It was more about finding the right materials for the job...I know people hand roll paper tubing for salutes.. but what about making larger thick walled tubes for big rockets..etc..

Ps The 90$ P&P was for 30" tube if i got smaller length 7 1/2" it dropped to $40+ :blink:
im posting this at about 2am in the morning because i have had to wait for my Gf to go to bed before i could watch as she put it "Boring Video paper paste & string" :o ....

#6 Jerronimo

Jerronimo

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 05:54 PM

Hello,

You say that you're looking for tubes with a wallthickness of 6 mm.
I think that 1 mm will not make much of a difference.
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

#7 sasman

sasman

Sasman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 09:50 PM

Yes you are probably right.. But im only just getting started in pyro and on skylighters page it says use 1/4"(6.5mm) so i would rather go for stronger cases than weaker ones..if i get the right size and my rocket Catos then it should be some other fault other than the tube not holding up to the pressure..

#8 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 07:59 AM

There was a discussion on tube rolling a while back, do a search.

Wall thickness isn't everything, the quality of the tube material, the adhesive and the winding density makes an enormous difference. It is very hard to achieve the strength of commercial tubes by hand-rolling, at least for the same wall thickness.

I often roll small to medium mortars from chipboard (the bulk of the thickness) and kraft or typing paper (for the surface). The over-wrap of thin paper is to give a good surface and hold the chipboard in place while the tube dries. Some people start rolling with paper too, which limits the size of the discontunity inside the tube, which can be quite important for candles and rockets. I've heard of people tearing and feathering the starting edge to help with this, seems like it would just make it harder to start the rolling.

I use a rolling board when I really want a solid tube with good walls, inside and out.

#9 mrpyromx

mrpyromx

Pyro Hobbiest

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 02:16 AM

I use a 3/4" wooden dowl and prepasted craft packing tape with string woulven into it. I think you could find it at any packing supply store or office suppy store. the tubes that are made out of this are great for fountins, and pretty much anything you want. I would stear clear of using them for any sort of morter, unless its going to be the load and not the morter itself.

#10 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 11:52 AM

Sasman,you will need to stick to 1/4" thick tubes for stingers due to the side vent. If the tube is not as thick there will be less "spin up" leading to a dangerous and unstable device!
If you are going to make stingers stick to 1 lb ones 3/4"id for some reason are more easy to make. Tooling can be made in 10mins for one at hardly any cost at all. However the tubes are a different matter. I have made some but for a decent one took me about half an hour each :blink: A quicker way is to do it the Mrpyromx way if you can find any 3" wide gummed Kraft packing tape.

With rockets starting smaller and working up is a good idea. I know you've seen my 12mm id x80mm fly. They're not bad even if I do say so myself. :D

Maxman

#11 Phoenix

Phoenix

UKR Forum Ex Regular!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 12:49 PM

Since stinger tubes are quite short, this method for making super strength tubes, posted on rec.pyrotechnics not long ago, should be quite a good way to make them. You layer thin cardboard and thermoplastic, then bake it.

#12 sasman

sasman

Sasman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 02:08 PM

Maxman The video clips you emailed me were very good and i only hope i can get my rockets to perform as good as yours :) I liked the nice tail and the glitter Payload was very good ,i cant wait to actually start making some myself..

Edited by sasman, 21 March 2004 - 03:14 PM.

#13 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 02:13 AM

Glitter tailed rockets? I've never been able to pull that off to my satisfaction.

You *can* make thin-walled stingers if you are careful:

http://www.vk2zay.ne...vice.php?id=110

#14 Mike R

Mike R

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 12:36 PM

Hi.

I find that thermal fax paper tubes are a good tube especially for salutes ,
not tried rockets with them yet ,but do have one that i need to attach a correct length stick too then its ready, So wish me luck.

tubes Have an internal diamater of approx 11mm and about 3mm for wall thickness and are quite solid.

hope this helps.

Edited by Mike R, 12 March 2005 - 12:38 PM.

#15 Jules

Jules

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 05:34 PM

For larger tube, try a local carpet warehouse or upholsterers or something. These guys throw away loads of tubes and in my experience are happy to give them away if you take them with you.

Among many others, I got a 4m long 4 1/4" ID tube with 8mm walls, which could come in handy ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users