• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#31 Ghost_Walker

Ghost_Walker

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 02:25 AM

I just bought materials to build my own Compression Spring Mandrel for hand rolling tubes...if there is enough interest in the device i will document my assembly and build a tutorial on how to make it. I'll host the pages myself...just looking for input from you guys on if it would be useful

Edited by Ghost_Walker, 16 November 2005 - 02:26 AM.

#32 Ritual33

Ritual33

Mooooo!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 02:44 AM

Sounds like a nice idea to me.
In Development...
--------------------------------------------------------------
Drew's World - http://drews-world.co.uk
Pyro World - http://pyro-world.co.uk
----------------------------------------------

#33 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:12 AM

I just bought materials to build my own Compression Spring Mandrel for hand rolling tubes...if there is enough interest in the device i will document my assembly and build a tutorial on how to make it. I'll host the pages myself...just looking for input from you guys on if it would be useful

Will be quite interested in seeing your device! You can quite happely host the information in the Tools Section!

#34 JamesH

JamesH

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:26 AM

Sounds very interesting Ghost Walker, can you tell us a little bit about the device?.
HE WHO HATH ONCE SMELT THE SMOKE IS NE'ER AGAIN FREE

#35 Ghost_Walker

Ghost_Walker

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 12:50 PM

Sounds very interesting Ghost Walker, can you tell us a little bit about the device?.

Sure. Its actually rather simple...imagine if you will your roll of craft with a dowel afixed throught its center, now on each end of the dowel pressure is added to the ends on each side to resist rotation. this is done by one series of fixed blocks and another using springs and a few carriage bolts and nuts so you can adjust the compression on the dowel...

on the other end a similar set up is used except the dowel on this end is the one you are rolling the tube on. and pressure is used on this on to resist the paper becoming slack..

so in theory once you are set up and the paper is taught.. you can apply your glue/paste, turn the dowel, rinse and repeat..and have a nice tightly wound tube

i got the idea watching my wife cross-stitch with a holder for the cloth that keeps the material tight

Edited by Ghost_Walker, 16 November 2005 - 12:52 PM.

#36 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 04:24 PM

Sure. Its actually rather simple...imagine if you will your roll of craft with a dowel afixed throught its center, now on each end of the dowel pressure is added to the ends on each side to resist rotation. this is done by one series of fixed blocks and another using springs and a few carriage bolts and nuts so you can adjust the compression on the dowel...

on the other end a similar set up is used except the dowel on this end is the one you are rolling the tube on. and pressure is used on this on to resist the paper becoming slack..

so in theory once you are set up and the paper is taught.. you can apply your glue/paste, turn the dowel, rinse and repeat..and have a nice tightly wound tube

i got the idea watching my wife cross-stitch with a holder for the cloth that keeps the material tight

Sounds simple and very effective, hope to see pictures of it soon. Dont you just love the way ideas are generated!!

#37 Steve

Steve

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 05:18 PM

I recived 1000 1/2 I.D 3mm wall 500mm long Parralell wound tubes today!!!! I think my housemates are starting to get p***** off with me filling the house with great big boxes / barrels of stuff.

I'm not selling them, I'm only bragging, I plan to make the world's biggest cake (honest 8*D)
Inoxia Pyrotechnics - The UK online store for chemicals and other pyrotechnics supplies

#38 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

Light Up The Sky - KF Pyro Crew

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 08:03 PM

going to need more than a 1000 tubes to beat the biggest cake :)
Kimbolton have a 1000 shot whisteling dragon cake... guess you can add more tube and make it a 1001 shot cake...lol

Mark
KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

#39 Steve

Steve

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 10:11 PM

Or cut each tube into 4....
Inoxia Pyrotechnics - The UK online store for chemicals and other pyrotechnics supplies

#40 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 10:40 AM

I thought my 30 shot 2" ID tube cake was going to be pretty awesome, matching colour mine with shell burst in each shot. Now I am beggining to see that 4,000 tubes might better it.

Anyhow, what is the price per tube?
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

#41 rooster

rooster

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 08:28 PM

I can very much recommend grocery tubes the plastic bags are rolled up on. I asked this fruit-store to spare their tubes for me, for an art project;)

I went by them once a week for about 3 months, and this is now my inventory, completely free:

Grocery tubes

Edited by rooster, 19 November 2005 - 08:31 PM.

My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But, ah, my foes, and, oh, my friends - it gives a lovely light.

#42 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 10:42 PM

bet that cost a bit. :P
i get tubes out of old firework tubes, so i have a glut of them atmo.

#43 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 11:16 AM

Nice work Rooster! See, another positive thing about amatuer pyro - we are the recycling pioneers!
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#44 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 12:53 PM

Yes, I have a very large collection of tubes ranging from 8mm to 8", and I have not paid fore a single one of them, and all would have been thrown out. All those grocery tubes says something about the quantity of plastic we throw out though. All hail reudsable cloth bags I say!
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

#45 Ritual33

Ritual33

Mooooo!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 04:05 PM

All my family supply my tubes atm, mostly from tin foil/cling-film rolles, quite thick walled and plenty big.

Drew
In Development...
--------------------------------------------------------------
Drew's World - http://drews-world.co.uk
Pyro World - http://pyro-world.co.uk
----------------------------------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users