Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

Thanks for your help.

#17 helix

helix

• UKPS Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:50 PM

Hi Triton

I would just go with a BP based delay maybe with some 40 mesh charcaol added for a tail if you are hand ramming these.

The amount of delay will depend on the weight of the header and the calibre of rocket but for a 1lb BP rocket maybe start about .75", that may be too much even, if so try about 0.6", its better that than having too long of a delay and the thing just about hitting the ground before the header breaks.

You might also need a clay bulkhead over the delay if the header is heavy

#18 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

Hi Triton

I would just go with a BP based delay maybe with some 40 mesh charcaol added for a tail if you are hand ramming these.

The amount of delay will depend on the weight of the header and the calibre of rocket but for a 1lb BP rocket maybe start about .75", that may be too much even, if so try about 0.6", its better that than having too long of a delay and the thing just about hitting the ground before the header breaks.

You might also need a clay bulkhead over the delay if the header is heavy

I would add a clay bulkhead as a matter of course to keep everything all tight and contained.

#19 TritonPyro

TritonPyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

I ended up with a clay bulkhead with a 2 second piece of time fuse. I primed it with chlorate/antimony tri/nc slurry and black powder for the report. Worked a treat! Thank you all for your feed back. Yes, I am aware of sulphur and chlorates but I do not use flash.

#20 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

Also nozzle- less motors don't need a bulkhead, just a delay, which My preference would be whistle propellant as you get two rockets in one

Edited by dr thrust, 18 January 2013 - 03:02 PM.

#21 martyn

martyn

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

......... I primed it with chlorate/antimony tri/nc slurry and black powder for the report. Worked a treat! .........

There are probably less controversial primes to use  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users