• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 Deano 1

Deano 1

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:10 PM

Just a little suggestion, could it be recycled acetone, I work with acetone everyday with my job (fibreglass) and occasionally  we receive recycled acetone. The liquid is clear but the smell is different from virgin acetone, it all depends what it's been used for previously. The recycling method uses a sort of distiller to boil out the liquid from the solids, which also creates water vapor in the condensing process, so if you have water present, this could be the answer.

Our saviours : In the ninth century, a team of Chinese alchemists trying to synthesize an "elixir of immortality" from saltpeter, sulfur, realgar, and dried honey instead invented gunpowder.

#32 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:01 PM

I mean't few pharmacy type chemists and if they are they keep it pretty quiet, i use the same chemist all the time for prescriptions and such like, yet i still got forty questions when i went in for some liquid paraffin.

Their doesn't appear to be any water present evaporates fairly quick and disolves polystyrene pretty well. But yes certainly in the case of solvent number 3 contaminated acetone seems most likely !!

Yo Ho Ho, a pyro's life for me

#33 whoof

whoof

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:16 PM

They are pharmacists these days not chemists.

Ask them a chemical name and they look at me like I just got off a banana boat.

Liquid paraffin, oh dear , got fur balls again ?

#34 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:59 PM

Some of them are a bit lacking in actual chemistry knowledge.

Yes they are a constant problem :)

Yo Ho Ho, a pyro's life for me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users