• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 felixthecat

felixthecat

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:47 AM

hi everyone,,im joe from glasgow.i thought it might be a good thing if inexperienced newbies like me could post questions regarding the safety of specific proceedures,,,so if i may start the ball rolling....Q...is it safe to mix course 10-100 magnallium with flash for rocket headers or would it be prudent to use a flash bag and if so how is an even disperal of metal in the bust best achieved

#2 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:44 AM

Your main issues will be safety of flash in the first place, adding MgAl will maybe increase the sensitivity a tiny bit but with the fines up to 100# may also begin to alter the fuel ratios.

#3 felixthecat

felixthecat

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:05 AM

thanks cooperman...and rest assured im aware of the dangers of flash and take all necessary precautions...i wasnt shure if the larger particles of metal would generate enough friction to cause an ignition of kcl04/al if the rocket was dropped or had an imact

#4 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

I assume the reason for adding the Mg/Al is for a spark effect,if you use the larger particle sizes,say up to 60mesh you should get a prounounced effect,but even better would be to use about ten to fifeteen percent Ti sponge etc which is probably the effect you are looking for.

As you probably know,any additional metals should be added after you have diapered your flash.

#5 felixthecat

felixthecat

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

thanks starseeker..i already have some titanium sponge on order,,and yes i added the metal to already mixed flash prior to loading

#6 Sparky

Sparky

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:22 PM

I suspect Ti will give you a superior effect but it will be interesting to know what the results are like. I think the MgAl will be consumed in the instant the flash ignites.

#7 cooperman435

cooperman435

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:08 AM

Id actually imagine it wont ignite at all or very little will

#8 felixthecat

felixthecat

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:21 AM

im intending on lighting some visco on sat eve so ill post my thoughts on mg/al 10-100 versus tisponge on sun..my intention was to create a multi ring effect as the different sized particles burnt out at varying distances from the burst instead of a uniform pattern of fine sparks,,,your input is appreciated

#9 cooperman435

cooperman435

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:48 AM

Id expect to find a globe of sparks at best unless you can VERY well refine the particle sizes to very well defined sizes and gaps between each size. I hope Im wrong

#10 felixthecat

felixthecat

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

you were spot on cooperman,,,the 10-100mgal was pretty duff,only the smallest particles ignited,,,10%tisponge,5%al flitters was quite a nice effect,thanks for your input on this and the blue al

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users