#1 Sparky

Sparky

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:47 PM

Hey all

I thought it might be useful if I record a diary of my experiences getting the various licenses as and when I need to. Not only to share for others but also to get input from anyone here with experience.

So quick update number 1.

I've reached out via email to my local ELO and he has replied. My initial request was probably too much in one go because I have other interests in clay shooting, I have that cannon and I was also interested in a rim fire .22 for vermin control. I also mentioned model rocketry.

Main areas of difficulty seemed to be the FAC license and the rocketry actually which surprised me. I've replied and stated that if it makes it easier then I'd be happy to focus on the aspects that are more important to me. I have asked about the BP A&K for experimentation (I also explained about the new precursor legislation as I wasn't sure he knew anything about that). The second request was on how to license my cannon for use with BP etc. If that is a shotgun license then I asked whether I needed a gun cabinet for it. Not sure how I'd fit it in a cabinet as it weighs 35lbs and is a rather odd shape lol.

He gave me info on the MSER case for the BP so that seems like a pretty simple part of the application process.

I'll keep you all posted.

#2 wayne

wayne

• Admin
  • 422 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:59 PM

Good stuff!

With regards to the precursor license, this won't be dealt with by the Police.  As far as I know, this will be issued direct from the Home Office.  Obviously, this still has to be clarified.

#3 Sparky

Sparky

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:34 PM

Good stuff!

With regards to the precursor license, this won't be dealt with by the Police.  As far as I know, this will be issued direct from the Home Office.  Obviously, this still has to be clarified.

I was wondering and I assumed it would come from the home office.

#4 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:30 PM

As long as you have a legitimate reason for a FAC there should be no problem getting it,

I have mine for a .17 which i use for vermin control,you must have suitable land in place with permissions granted before they will grant you one,you will also need two signatures to verify you are of sound mind etc.

#5 Sparky

Sparky

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:55 PM

Crikey I have another reply already....

He is recommending the BP license and shotgun license. I'm still a little confused how the cannon will be licensed as it doesn't meet the criteria he has quoted in his last email. He has stated that it will probably be enough for the cannon to be secured via a cable to my property rather than have it in a gun cabinet.

So once I hear back about whether the cannon is covered by the shotgun license I'll be completing the forms. 

#6 Sparky

Sparky

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:19 PM

Regarding the cannon old or new you well may come across this, there may not be a proof certificate for the barrel, of course this can be done for you at a huge cost.

My understanding is that cannons do not need a proof certificate but I will let you know!

#7 Sparky

Sparky

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:20 PM

As long as you have a legitimate reason for a FAC there should be no problem getting it,

I have mine for a .17 which i use for vermin control,you must have suitable land in place with permissions granted before they will grant you one,you will also need two signatures to verify you are of sound mind etc.

Rather interestingly my ELO is requesting that I just need one reference but they must have shot with me and have a FAC already. I'm not yet sure how I'm supposed to have FAC experience without a license. To be honest I'm not so worried about getting a FAC as yet if I don;t need it for the Cannon.

#8 Sparky

Sparky

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:42 AM

OK so looks like the cannon will have to be licensed as a firearm but they seem to get special treatment, I'll know more during his visit.

They don't fall under a shotgun license as the barrel is too short by the way. Rather amusingly it seems easier to get a license for a really big cannon!!

Edited by Sparky, 27 June 2014 - 10:43 AM.

#9 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:58 PM

My understanding is that cannons do not need a proof certificate but I will let you know!

I very much doubt that a cannon will go out of proof due to the rather sturdy design ,i would imagine that a lot of the old cannons you see around could still be safely fired .

#10 Sparky

Sparky

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 07:22 PM

I very much doubt that a cannon will go out of proof due to the rather sturdy design ,i would imagine that a lot of the old cannons you see around could still be safely fired .

I don't think the proofing will be an issue, I mean the barrel is about 70mm inches wide with a 40mm bore and only will be fired BP and empty.

#11 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 07:31 PM

You will have to pack some wadding after the B.P though for some containment.

#12 Sparky

Sparky

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 07:53 PM

You will have to pack some wadding after the B.P though for some containment.

Yup, the guy who owned it before me demonstrated and it didn't need much at all!

#13 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:49 PM

Maybe when you get everything sorted out you could put a video up, :)

#14 Pyro-centric

Pyro-centric

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

OK so looks like the cannon will have to be licensed as a firearm but they seem to get special treatment, I'll know more during his visit.

They don't fall under a shotgun license as the barrel is too short by the way. Rather amusingly it seems easier to get a license for a really big cann

Basic definition of a shot gun; “Shotgun” means a smooth-bore gun (not being an air gun) which:

a) has a barrel not less than 24 inches in length and does not have any barrel with a 
bore exceeding 2 inches in diameter.

#15 Peret

Peret

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:36 AM

Basic definition of a shot gun; “Shotgun” means a smooth-bore gun (not being an air gun) which:

a) has a barrel not less than 24 inches in length and does not have any barrel with a 
bore exceeding 2 inches in diameter.

That's interesting! I have a Mossberg 12 bore shotgun with a barrel less than 20 inches long. I wonder how it would be classified in the UK, or even if it would be permitted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users