• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Alan Fox

Alan Fox

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 01:21 PM

Im interested in any work anyone else has done with nozzless rocket motors. Especially BP motors in the one pound range( 3/4 ID by 7 or 8 inch length). My desire here is to produce a motor quickly and easily for pyro use. Namely lifting a 2 to 3 inch shell to a safe height. I also plan to add TI to my fuel for a nice sparking tail effect. And before anyone says it Yes I know I could go the normal nozzled BP rought ,been there done that and now want to try something new and different. Any thoughts or experence?
Dont touch that!

#2 dfk

dfk

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 02:19 AM

This sight could probably tell you more on the subject than all the people in this forum together. Not that no one has the knowledge but probably more likely not the time.

http://www.angelfire...kets/index.html

As far as this guys concerned he invented the things. He's got specs for the tooling, the recipe for the comp he used plus some pictures and videos.

He recently added a section on a blue strobe comp for rockets that he developed that uses sugar as its primary fuel and CuO for color.

check it out.

Marcus
Marcus; 'In the practice of manipulating fire for 4 years'

#3 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 02:49 AM

Check out DJ's hidden page too, it has some amusing as well as interesting videos.

Telling you where to find the link to it would take the fun out of it. :)

#4 Phoenix

Phoenix

UKR Forum Ex Regular!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 12:27 PM

I bet his ears rang for a while after THAT. (You'll know what I mean when you look at the page). Nice shell videos too.

Edited by Phoenix, 13 March 2004 - 06:10 PM.

#5 Alan Fox

Alan Fox

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 12:31 PM

Ive seen the guys site on anglefire and he is the one that got me started on this kick. His using WD-40 to slow down the fuel and make a good hard grain is a great working idea Ive tried it and it works super. I did hope to find others who are expermenting with it with the hope of speeding up my learning curve. And keeping the large booms from coming from the area of my yard down to a mininum. :D
Dont touch that!

#6 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 12:41 PM

Nosing is your friend with non-whistle nozzleless motors.

#7 Alan Fox

Alan Fox

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 02:33 AM

Wow just when I thought I knew almost everything.......what is "Nosing"? I did a search and found it not. :blink:
Dont touch that!

#8 dfk

dfk

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 02:54 AM

I have used this method, incorporating 10w-40 motor oil when I was first starting out.
I used this in buzz b**bs, oil SLOWS so if anything it will prevent your rocket from CATO not the opposite.

So oil does work for slowing a comp but why not just use extra charcoal, you get the desired slower comp with an added charcoal tail.
You can't loose

Marcus

#9 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 03:16 AM

Nosing in this context is a wrap of paper around the device tubing which extends beyond the end of the case. The fuse or other matching goes through the nozzle as normal, then the paper is drawn around the fuse and tied in place with some string, usually tied off with a clove hitch.

A drawing would explain it better.

#10 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 03:33 AM

The "nosing" Alany mentions is also known as a capping. Like on gerbs.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#11 dfk

dfk

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 08:38 PM

So oil does work for slowing a comp but why not just use extra charcoal, you get the desired slower comp with an added charcoal tail.
You can't loose

I take that back.

While thinking about it today I realized the oil serves a more important purpose than I origionaly gave credit for. Being that it is nozzless, the oil serves to better hold the BP grain intact since the nozzle is not there to do it.

sorry for the mess up, I guess you'll just have to make do without the tail.

Marcus

#12 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 10:21 PM

Hello!

I work with nozzleless rocket motors for pyrotechnic effects. They use potassium nitrate and sorbitol as the propellant. It is poured in when still hot and soft. Then a 8mm stainless steel rod is inserted.... For pics have a look on this:

http://deutsch.250x....m/raks_25mm.htm

These rockets are quite powerful

The rockets casing is produced like this:

http://deutsch.250x....m/doit/doit.htm

Sorry if it doesn?t fit in here, cause its no blackpowder rocket motor. But I think its worth a look, because these rockets are powerfull and less labourous as blackpowder rockets! Also very cheap...

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#13 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 07:27 AM

I take that back.

While thinking about it today I realized the oil serves a more important purpose than I origionaly gave credit for. Being that it is nozzless, the oil serves to better hold the BP grain intact since the nozzle is not there to do it.

sorry for the mess up, I guess you'll just have to make do without the tail.

Marcus

Yeah the petroleum jelly in whistle does the same, makes the grain much less likely to chip or crack if abused and makes it easier to press. Both are mainly used a phlegmatizer though, the other benifical side effects are just a bonus.

#14 Alan Fox

Alan Fox

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 01:59 AM

Just got back to working with these lately and have come up with a reliable motor. Im building a one pound motor/ 3/4inch by 6inch. at the "nozzle" end I use normal core burner tooling and the first scoop is BP with 5% oil added it makes a nice clean and hard end to the motor then ram as normal with your standard 70 15 10 B P mix that is ball milled for several hours. I ram until to the top of the core then switch to a very slow mix propellent to the top of the motor sealing with a normal clay plug. The motors are very loud and fly especially fast. IF you use a coarse charcoal in the slow mix part of the motor you get a interesting tail that shows up after most of the noise has departed. I often top them off with nice BP willow stars, it makes for a great rocket that is quick to put together.
Dont touch that!

#15 chim-chim

chim-chim

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 11:53 PM

Paul mentioned Sorbitol, which was interesting because I hadn't thought of a sugar based nozzless rocket. Alany mentions whistle. This got me thinking, whistles are coreless. Does anyone know of any other compositions that could be used for end-burning. I wouldn't want the rocket to whistle, and have no benzonate and no press. We all know not to ram whistle mix. If it can't be poured to set or rammed, the advantage of ease slips away.

Probably a pipe dream but,

fuel...ram...fuel...ram...fuse...stick...done,

I had to ask.

P.S.- Hi everybody, newly registered long time Guest here.
Old (33), Long-haired (center-back), Geek (software trainer) Yank(California). Thanks all for the great info and ideas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users