18 replies to this topic

#16 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:57 PM

Fast nitrate flashes work for nozzleless end-burning rockets.

4 Potassium Nitrate
4 Magnesium (100 mesh, granular) (coated - DUH!)
1 Dextrin

Dark Aluminium may work, 16um bright flake doesn't, never tried magnalium.

The obvious cautions apply to flash mixtures, but they can be pressed by hand moistened slightly. I wouldn't make more than a few grams at a time, and I'd stick to bottle-rocket scale devices. The result is a rocket as bright as an illumination flare which incenerates its case and stick very rapidly.

I've never tried vanilla Al/perchlorate flashes, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't get them to work, and result in a cheaper and perhaps safer mix. Probably a lot more messy to deal with though.

BTW: Most whistle rockets have a core, and you can press smaller devices by hand quite easily.

#17 chim-chim

chim-chim

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 11:23 PM

I've never tried vanilla Al/perchlorate flashes, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't get them to work, and result in a cheaper and perhaps safer mix.  Probably a lot more messy to deal with though.

BTW: Most whistle rockets have a core, and you can press smaller devices by hand quite easily.

Being afraid of Flash, well, cautious, No, afraid, as we all should be, I use very little. As a result I've had several rockets designed to report, but using too little flash, they instead had a fraction of a second of incredible thrust and a visible Al tail just before burn out. This would lead me to believe Perc/Al would work, wereas the case came down undamaged.
Not scientific I realize, but until then I never would have considered that a cardboard tube would stand up to flash, in any amount, nozzle-less or otherwise.

With the KNO3/Mg/dextrin, will linseed oil (have it) work or would you suggest Dichromate (don't)?

I didn't remember Whistling bottle rockets having cores, but I haven't taken apart (or even seen really) a whistling bottle rocket in 15 years, and now that you mentioned it, I realized 15 years ago, I didn't know what a core was to recognize and remember it. I am regularly reminded of dumb I used to be, it makes me worry, because if it's still happening in ten years, it's means I'm still dumb now. :blink:

I was thinking, "wahoo, cool little rockets I can make with paper tape and pen tube" I guess I'll have to get off my lazy butt and make some little B.R. tooling, and if I do that, may as well drop back to the relative safety of BP. I'll give it a try though, every little test is something learned.

"I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work."
- Thomas Edison

As Always, Thanks and Keep Safe.
-Chim-Chim

It's gonna take a lot of fireworks to clean this place up.
-Homer Simpson

#18 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 12:12 PM

Oil/wax coated Mg should be fine. I tried it using fine magnesium filings coated with a little candle wax dissolved in a solvent, like making whistle mix or treating clay.

I've had bottle rocket size devices jet rather than report too. Adding a little pulverone to fluff up the flash seemed to solve that, as did cab-o-sil, or just using more and being careful not to pack it solid.

Many whistle bottle rockets are coreless, but larger ones seem to use cores. I've tried small end-burner whistles with nozzles, quite loud, spluttering sound at at times too, seems to be a complex function of their geometry.

#19 newtoolsmith

newtoolsmith

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 09:35 PM

Where will I find DJ?s hidden pages?

I searched on http://www.angelfire...kets/index.html but I have found nothing and some of the pictures seem not to exist any more.

Any ideas?

MfG
newtoolsmith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users