• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Demented Ferret

Demented Ferret

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 05:23 PM

Mainly because ANY metal contaminating a chlorate is very unstable - and a metal powder with a chlorate is just asking for trouble. If you're going to do flash with a chlorate, don't use the conventional 'paper' technique, unless you want your hands spread over a 5 mile radius. Don't even think about storing it either, it'll just spontaniously explode within 20 minutes. It makes me wonder, regardless of the mesh of my Aluminium - why I didn't get much of a reaction at all.

#17 pyrodude

pyrodude

pyrodude

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 08:19 PM

I got the same AL powder off of ebay. Could you ball mill it to a smaller size suitable for use in flash??

#18 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 10:11 PM

Discussion of milling aluminium and other metals was widely covered in the past, including a disagreement between me and another member. Please search.

PFP database contain from unique composition to unbelievably dangerous ones. Chlorate flash or Perchlorate flash with antimony salts is hazardous business and should not be attempted by anyone who does not try to win the best report PGI composition.

As for Yugan Biki Question:
"BigG --> First, flash works only with very fine powder (nothing above 12 micron)<--." How come my works?

Well, there is no scientific definition to how fine AL for flash is ? but I don?t remember seeing it mixed with more then 8 micron. I am not sure how many people saw real flash powder at work. 500g detonated UNCONFINED in a wooden shed completely shredded the shed into sawdust. If someone can get a video from the PGI convention when they demonstrated that - it will be a good example for everyone to remember. I guess that 25micron might work, it won?t be as strong as the American black head 8 micron and the Indian black head 3 micron (master of flash?).

Edited by BigG, 13 March 2004 - 11:56 PM.

#19 Demented Ferret

Demented Ferret

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 12:14 AM

500g detonated UNCONFINED in a wooden shed completely shredded the shed into sawdust.

:o I've heard making 50g is a deathwish.

Oh - I have a friend who assures me that Aluminium Powder must oxidise instantly, so it becomes useless straight away. I know this to be untrue, but I haven't the scientific knowledge to fight against it. Any help?

Edited by Demented Ferret, 14 March 2004 - 12:14 AM.

#20 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 06:47 AM

Simple, just say if stuff that fine was to oxidise straight away, you would get a pyrophoric effect and a very hot flame.

Stuart

#21 Yugen-biki

Yugen-biki

Pyro is forever

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 12:22 PM

Richard H

Just how fast is it?

I have never used anything but my bright Al. About 5g makes a quite loud bang and 20g makes one of the larges salutes I have heard. I use a paper container some 5-10mm thick. The mix needs to be in a container to make noise. Shimizu "Thunder #3" by the way. I have great respect for the mixture and only makes it rarely. Reading the label again I foud the text "25microns by avarege".

adamw

To me there is no 'good' and 'bad' flash powder. There is a powder for every use.

I?m completely on your track. The flash I use is good to me! The thred was first started to answer the question how big Demented Ferret?s Al was. And the result is that it?s to big.

/ :)

#22 Demented Ferret

Demented Ferret

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 01:03 PM

Yep - cheers for the help guys :).

#23 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 07:26 PM

Spontaenously explode within 20 minutes? Please explain then how the Maltese make and fire their multi-break shells with KClO3 + Al bottom shots in under half an hour.

I am not saying that the chlorate mixture isn't more dangerous or sensitve, IT IS, but it will not spontaneously explode in 20 minutes, even with sulphur (however a sulphur with lots of free acid will gradually react with the KCLO3 and the you have a nasty thing on your hands).

Regarding making flash powder and other similar admixtures - there are two schools of thought: 1] Make a small amount and then if the worst happens there will be minimal damage and 2] Make just enough so it will wipe you out, sparing you flopping about with no hands and half a head.

Not that I am happy with either, but you see what I am saying...
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#24 Demented Ferret

Demented Ferret

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 08:14 AM

Ah, yes - I forgot to mention the inclusion of Sulphur...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users