#1 Stevesloan

Stevesloan

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 11:11 PM

I own a co2 powered gun that fires 400fps
I wish to make some targets such as what the brand firebird makes
I would like to ask a question please and hopefully receive some interesting positive answers

I need some/a product then when hit/striked could release a colourful smoke.... And possibly a bang

Amateurs use match heads and a smoke bomb grinded up
But this wouldn't make a bang however as I'm a newbie and just learning I'm searching for some available uk products/ ingredients to make match heads or similar to make a friction compound that when fired at upon impact would ignite the smoke bomb material / chemical and produce a nice puff of smoke with a bang if possible
Ps I wish to use this mixture to make small discs like bottle cap size for use in a home back garden

#2 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 12:10 PM

IIRC exploding targets are available retail from gun shops.

http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#3 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 05:49 PM

I can usually buy fireworks much cheaper than making them. A three inch shell by the box into my store is about £2.00 the ingredients cost more than that then there is the small matter of the time taken.

#4 helix

helix

• UKPS Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:05 PM

Have a look at Copper Oxide/ Aluminium thermite.  You should get a bang and some smoke - not coloured though.  Be careful with it as it is impact sensitive and don't use too much!.

#5 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:13 PM

The mixtures typically used (DIY) by American shooters are either Armstrong's mixture which is incredibly sensitive or Amonal which is a high explosive used by people who lay roadside mines in warring countries, Either of these could bring any UK user into adverse contact with law enforcement. 

#6 spectrum

spectrum

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:06 PM

I developed the firebird composition for the present owner of the company, the composition is a matter of public knowledge since we patented it at the time and I'm sure it would be revealed on a patent search.

I didn't do the coloured smoke version for two reasons, firstly the individual I worked with (in his infinite wisdom) insisted that colours and noise would not appeal to the market (!) and secondly, as we were at the time seeking to use the products on clay pigeons, the same effect was achievable using coloured powder which would be dispersed on strike by the forward motion and spin of the clay - this was already in use and cheaper.

We were going to go into production but the partnership fell apart when my opposite number revealed that he couldn't meet his financial obligations and wanted us to sell our shares to fund his commitments - I decided to take a pay-off (money miraculously appeared) and we walked away satisfied with a healthy profit from a days R&D.

I did look at re-entering the market but decided there wasn't really a market to re-enter and ended up leaving Firebird to try and recover their investment from what few sales were around. 

Technically it's quite elementary, if the patent search fails PM me

#7 spectrum

spectrum

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:16 PM

I should add...producing a shock sensitive composition without the appropriate license/explosives certificate is not to be recommended, quite simply it's illegal (sorry to be stiff). There are very obvious dangers - no-one anticipates an incident of course, which is why they are so dreadful when they occur.

Before I undertook the firebird project, I was told of a similar previous attempt by a father and son team, sponsored by a european target producer. They were advanced money for the necessary chemicals and set about doing the job on a snooker table in the games room in a private dwelling. An ignition occured which shattered the slate bed of the table and caused the floor to collapse - part of the table ended up in a cellar and, I was told, one of the individuals lost part of a limb.

Think on....

#8 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 07:36 PM

I also note that your rifle is 400fps while the Americans I chat with can have issues with 1100fps rifles not being energetic enough. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users