Jump to content


Manufacturing License Process

manufacturing license

  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 samboradford



  • UKPS Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:44 PM

Some of you know I'm going to be embarking on applying for a manufacturing license.  There is already a great offer and associated thread from Icarus on a project in the Midlands and I understand Dean fireworks who have successfully gone through the process.  So there are some things in process, and if I'm successful I will open it up for other hobbyists as best I can.


I have started information gathering as best I can and it's pretty daunting.  I've had a very kind and generous offer of some advice which I know will be forthcoming and greatly received ( to that person if you're reading this please don't feel hassled !!!) but I would love to know if anyone else has ANY experience in this at all.  The more people I can talk to the better I think / or at least might be able to give me a clue as to where to find a contact for Dean fireworks as Google is drawing blanks.


I think Icarus's post has really fired me up to getting on with this.  Any help or clues very gratefully received.


Thanks in advance,


#2 spectrum


    Pyro Forum Regular

  • General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:22 PM

I'm duplicating this response from a previous one posted by Samboradford, its more appropriate here.


This member is doing the right thing - a licensed manufacturing set up is the only way to proceed in my opinion, and it's not beyond the reach of most people with the land to base their activities on.


The process involves:


1. Plan your site / planned activities and ambitions.

2. Set up a company to hold the licence.

3. Draft the license - this is the biggest part of the application process. You will need building schedules, plans - site and location, licence schedule (setting out what will be made, used in manufacture or brought in and stored)

4. Prepare a safeguarding plan - not needed yet but do it all the same as this will illustrate clearly where you stand in the location and who might be affected.

5. Establish the position in regards to planning - refer to the safugaurding plan and make it available to the planners - they will need it eventually anyway.

6. Submit with fee.

7. Wait (and wait).


If the draft has been produced properly - that comes with experience or can cost a lot - the process can be minimised at the Inspectorate end. Our last application cost £360 from memory in inspectors time.


By the time the license is granted you will receive a certificate - I kept mine for years as a keepsake because it was nicely set out then lost it, you get so long to pay up the final fee for time then the license is issued, usually with a caveat that nothing can happen until the first inspection. This gives you three years to get the fabric of the place up and running - at least the bits you want up and running to allow you to operate legally.


Our last big variation created a number of ambitious additional magazines, our latest removes them - they existed on paper and are being removed without ever existing! 


It needn't be a headache - although when I first applied in 1995/6 they didn't ask about planning, that came after the application was made. I might suggest that if you have a suitable location you:


1. Ensure it's suitability - or else risk wasting your money at the end of the day.

2. Site a magazine and small shed as soon as possible thereby establishing prior use.


You may find objections on the forum to these last suggestions but they worked for me.


Paul M.

#3 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

    General member

  • UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 09:13 PM

Current HSE ruling is that they will not discuss a site that doesn't have planning permission.


Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#4 spectrum


    Pyro Forum Regular

  • General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 10:11 PM

Didn't know that Roger - it has never affected me.

#5 samboradford



  • UKPS Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:04 PM

Thanks again Paul,


I'm going to start informally with the planning office.  At the moment I have land for agricultural usage.  It already has a shed there with an A + K so we'll see what they say........

#6 Gp01



  • General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 12:51 PM

How did this go Sam I know it was years ago but did it get anywhere 


has anyone else gone down this route?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users