• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 bartd

bartd

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 10:54 PM

I've sent them a copy of my licence but they haven't seen my ID yet. I'm still waiting for further information on how this will go down.

When you say it was going to be "pricey", how much did they quote? Asking just in case everything goes south and I have to arrange my own courier...

#17 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 03:15 AM

The thing I'm asking about is that the home office were very clear that the suplier needed your physical licence and your ID in their hand, this didn't have to be in person but the actual documents themselves had to be in their hands, then the courier was required to photo ID you on delivery. If it was the company themselves delivering to you then at the door they could satisfy this requirement but not if its APC delivering for them as a courier service

#18 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 11:36 AM

This is the largest problem that the hobby in the UK currently faces.

I believe Wayne may be talking with the Home Office, but it seems to me they would be delighted to stifle our hobby by the back door.

Some thoughts:

1) There is a lot you can make without any of these pre-cursors. Black powder mixtures etc.

2) Some suppliers might be willing to trade in person at meets - if we had any!

3) You could create a limited company, in which case this law does not apply. However, that might cause even more paperwork - has anyone done it?

Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#19 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 12:23 PM

Wayne is indeed currently discussing this exact problem with them but to the contrary they seem very proactive in enabling sales take place, it's just that currently the regs are requiring a process of ID checking that is prohibitive for courier services to do for us.

I've always been happy to do face to face transactions but I do fully apreciate that being "up north" restricts the convenience or possibility for a good proportion of the community.

Setting up a Plc is frowned upon by them as its seen as circumnavigating the regs, they did say at the agm that checks would be done in those circumstances though I think this was aimed at large purchases rather than the hobby quantities we require :-)

#20 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 01:30 PM

A Ltd Co would need to trade, with some research possibility, a company with 100% research activity would need to sell (by some means inc licensing) the results of that research. Also a Ltd Co would bring you into the scope of all the statute law about safety etc inc HSWA so there would be a huge compliance cost.

With members from Scotland to Cornwall and Kent there is no way that ANY one supplier is convenient for all. 

http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#21 bartd

bartd

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:19 PM

Hi all,

Just a quick update that the order has now come through. It took a little while as some of the stuff that I had ordered wasn't in stock I think.

Thank you for all your help!

Bart

[Edits: excessive details removed]

Edited by bartd, 09 April 2016 - 08:02 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suppliers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users