• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 rocket

rocket

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:29 AM

My god thats shinny, it looks like chips of black glass. Never seen BP like that before. How did you get it like that?

#17 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:45 AM

I have never seen bp take on a shiny look, you must of added something..

#18 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:49 AM

I am about to make a new batch of BP and am intrested in Polishing the grains after i have corned it..I have found an old batch of powder that i have kept in an airtight drum...The grains varied from 4 mesh to 30 + mesh..I half filled my Hexagonal Milling Jar with this BP i added a few grams of Graphite..and left it to run for a few hours..

I have noticed some of the larger grains 4 to 8 mesh...were smoother with no jagged edges there was a slight sheen to the larger grains but overall the powder did not shine like i was hoping..Any ideas how long i should tumble the powder for?.

Yes he did! if you read the post, sasman says that he polished it with a few grams of graphite!

#19 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:00 AM

That's some sexy BP you've got there! I'm definitely going to give glazing a go next time I make some corned BP!

#20 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:12 AM

That looks like the lift powder that air b**bs used to use, i opened one years ago to see what was inside and found that the air b**b was sat on half a teaspoon of granuals that looked the same as yours all shiny. I put a granual on the floor tried to light it with a lighter, it took about 10 seconds to ignite so looks like it is a bit more resistant to ignition than uncoated powder. How long did you run the mill for??

#21 TzaRocket

TzaRocket

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:19 PM

Can you record how that shinny BP burns and show us?Tell me what exactely did you put in that BP?

#22 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:50 PM

Tell me what exactely did you put in that BP?

Graphite powder.

I have seen some commercial glazed BP, and while it was shiny, it wasn't nearly as lustrous as that!

#23 TzaRocket

TzaRocket

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 01:09 PM

OK.That ansers my question but I know from my own experiments that BP whit pure carbon does not burn how it should.Am I wrong?

#24 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 01:22 PM

The B.P is still made with normal charcoal but it is coated in graphite powder
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#25 TzaRocket

TzaRocket

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 03:58 PM

Oh now I understand,thanks.

#26 sasman

sasman

Sasman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 06:50 PM

I havent really tested the glazed powder.. i intend to use it for lift for my next batch of 6" shells...so will see how it goes, glazed powder does burn slightly slower than unglazed..but burning a loose pile of powder you cant see the difference..I intend do do some accurate testing of my BP using my sonys 250 frames per second super slomotion that will enable very accurate timing..

To glaze your powder just tumble your grains with some graphite powder for a few hours..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users