• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#46 Zinginex

Zinginex

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:51 PM

That motor would be OK IF you had three phase power and planned to handle 50 kilo batches. 1.5 Horse Power is WAY over the top

A 1/10hp motor would be sufficient to spin a small home mill with say up to 500g compound and maybe 5Kilos of media inside.

Also you must work out how to spin the drum at a speed between 50 and 100 RPM and big drums need lower speeds!

Sorry but what's the difference between 1 phase 2 phase and 3 phase motor? lol and thanks i get it now

#47 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:04 PM

http://en.wikipedia...._electric_power

You haven't got three phase at home, unless its a pub, commercial premises, farm, or really huge house say over twenty bedrooms.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#48 Zinginex

Zinginex

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:14 AM

http://en.wikipedia...._electric_power

You haven't got three phase at home, unless its a pub, commercial premises, farm, or really huge house say over twenty bedrooms.

Ah ok so do houses only have 1 phase power?
Thanks

#49 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:26 AM

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Single-phase

If your still stuck for a motor then your best bet would be one off a washing machine ( thats what i use ). Try your local scrap merchants, though you'll also need the rubber belt and the pulley off the drum.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#50 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:42 PM

WC71N is a Maplin motor about the righe speed to drive a drum directly

WC70M is a faster motor from the same range which would drive a roller to sit a drum on.

Both of these are suited for 12 volt operation so can be left to run for hours off a car battery down the garden. Both are brush motors so there is a need for care and a good case to keep dust out of the motor.

Search http://rswww.com for parvalux and you find hundreds of motors in the 20 - 200 watt range with gearboxes for anything from 0.5rpm to 200rpm from single phase ac mains. Look through these for a motor that suits then look for TEFC then look for the gearbox style and ratio that suits your need.

Buy the Maplin motor if this will be a short term hobby or the parvalux motor if this will be along term need.

Parvalux do have a number of agents round the country who stock motors and gearboxes and will assemble whatever you want at a price. (parvalux.co.uk) They do not sell direct in singles!
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#51 icarus

icarus

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:09 PM

if you want a really cheap ac motor strip an old tumble dryer. Ignore washing machines they have complicated motors dependant on controller boards. the motor in tumble dryers is a capacitor run motor. it has 2 coils, no slip rings or brushes to create sparks. one coil has mains voltage across its ends the other is connected to the mains with the capacitor in series. The shaft is long with a great big fan for the heater blower rivetted on. just saw it off, its not needed. ive got 3 dryer motors in my junk box at the moment, if anyone is struggling to find one pm me .Also look for old type writers the platten rollers make tumbler rollers as do conveyor rollers .
protodezine@gmail.com

#52 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:35 PM

Ignore washing machines they have complicated motors dependant on controller boards.

I somewhat diagree steve.I stripped everything out, all i had left was the motor,belt and the drum pulley.With alittle woodwork and a few store bought bits, i was able to build a ballmill, which basically , kick ass ...when i get the time i'll take a few pics.

Dean
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#53 Pyrogeorge

Pyrogeorge

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:16 PM

i bought dual drum rotary tumbler (6lb).it has got two separate barrels 3lb capacity each barrel..and the barrel size is 4-3/4"H x 4-1/2"OD.what size of grinding media must I use or it doesn't matter the size?and capacity of grinding media?
Posted Image

#54 Zinginex

Zinginex

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:31 PM

i bought dual drum rotary tumbler (6lb).it has got two separate barrels 3lb capacity each barrel..and the barrel size is 4-3/4"H x 4-1/2"OD.what size of grinding media must I use or it doesn't matter the size?and capacity of grinding media?
Posted Image

Hey I'm not sure about the size of media but can i ask where you got that rock tumbler from? Is it good for grinding bp?
Thanks

#55 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:54 PM

hi for that size of barrel you will need 20mm ceramic media, or 12 mm brass rod cut up,or 12mm to 20mm lead balls, but i suspect by the time you have filled the barrel with media/comp your tumbler will only handle one barrel comfortably! :( i know i bought a four barrel Joby and it struggles its b*lls off

#56 Pyrogeorge

Pyrogeorge

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:05 PM

yes one barrel i will use because the machine will brake down :D ..
but i don't know how many lead balls must i use..??

Edited by pipipi, 01 April 2008 - 05:54 PM.

#57 Pyrogeorge

Pyrogeorge

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:21 PM

Hey I'm not sure about the size of media but can i ask where you got that rock tumbler from? Is it good for grinding bp?
Thanks

from ebay..
in another forum said that it is good if you haven't got a ball mill,but need more time than the ball mill to grind the chemicals.i bought this and when i have free time i will make a homemade ball mill ;)

#58 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:04 PM

well thought i'd have a go at building one , using the guts out of an old pillar drill i got of a car boot for £5 :) but these can be purchased for about £35 from machine mart, what you get is a 1/4 horsepower motor ,start/stop button two cast stepped pulleys a vee belt and belt cover, so not to bad, just add mdf, four pillow block bearings from ebay a length of 20mm tube from b&q and a plastic pipe to go over the steel tube for grip

Posted Image

Edited by chris m, 31 March 2008 - 06:06 PM.

#59 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:25 PM

in the spirit of blue peter here's one i made earlier :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

just finished today, a few issues, these definitely need an extra belt between the two rollers to drive the second roller as one on its own wont turn the drum

Edited by chris m, 01 April 2008 - 09:33 PM.

#60 Zinginex

Zinginex

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:50 PM

in the spirit of blue peter here's one i made earlier :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

just finished today, a few issues, these definitely need an extra belt between the two rollers to drive the second roller as one on its own wont turn the drum

Man that's wicked. Wish i could make something like that... maybe soon lol :rolleyes:
Just wondering aren't those rollers too far apart? I obviously cant see the mill in real life but they look quite far apart

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users