Posted Image

#107 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:42 PM

nice job on the mill pipi its certainly well made, got any video of it in action? and is that a rubber inner tube i see on your jar to stop slippage

#108 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:01 PM

Its a nice jar that! hmmmm yep very nice indeed :-)

Indeedy

#109 Pyrogeorge

Pyrogeorge

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:17 PM

nice job on the mill pipi its certainly well made, got any video of it in action? and is that a rubber inner tube i see on your jar to stop slippage

Yes it is rubber inner tube.Also maybe i must reduce the rpm because the media heared like "pause and start".

Its a nice jar that! hmmmm yep very nice indeed :-)

Indeedy

Do you want one?i shell it :P .

#110 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:53 PM

i think its just slightly to fast, i counted the white label on your jar ( lol i need to get a life) going around and around and it rotated 65 times in 44 secs so whats that? about 85 rpm, correct me if im wrong

#111 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:37 AM

( 65 / 44 ) x 60 = 88.63 rec so nearly right Chris (close as dammit anyway lol)

#112 Pyrogeorge

Pyrogeorge

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:16 AM

it rotates 93rpm now.I calculated with passfire calculator and the recomended rpm is 69..Soi think that i must reduce it.

#113 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:52 PM

I recently bought a ball mill similar to pipipi's. What to do when the plastic on the rotating bars, that the jar is put on, is starting to wear off? I must repair it, of course, but how? I'm not a very technical guy. :unsure:

Edited by Pyroswede, 20 August 2009 - 03:53 PM.

"This salt, formerly called hyperoxymuriate of potassa, is
used for sundry preparations, and especially for experimental
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#114 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:01 PM

Glue some rubber from an old bicycle inner tube around the rollers is one solution, or if they are of a big enough diameter slide a whole section of inner tube over the roller.

Edited by Mortartube, 20 August 2009 - 04:02 PM.

Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#115 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:51 PM

OK, thank you. ;)
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#116 Pyrogeorge

Pyrogeorge

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:39 PM

it will be better to put rubber hose.

#117 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:05 PM

I think it is rubber hose, a very thin one though.
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#118 whitewolf_573

whitewolf_573

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 03:52 PM

Well, this is the sketch of my future ball mill (well , i have bought all except the rollers,the heater hose , and a pulley for the motor, but until october i won't be able to buy it , and finish the mill).

Posted Image

As you can see in the image i will use a big (1,60 m) steel rod as axle fixed by three Pillow block bearings (Like this), and two Ball-Bearing Rollers ( I didn't buy them yet ), one of them nearer to the axle , so be able to use different size jars.

When i bought the pulley for the axle (this pulley), i didn't think in use more than one size jars,so i only made the calculations for a 1 gallon jar only.

But i started to think that it would be interesting to be able to use a smaller jar to mill small quantities of compositions or like, or use a bigger jar to mill more bp or individual chems.

But the dude i have is,what is the better way to be able to use two different jars at same time (so you could mill some bp , and some TT composition while you are doing other things, and don't have to mill first the bp , and then the other composition)

And if this is the better way to do the things,beause perhaps , wanting to be more efficient,i am doing the things a bit harder that they are, i mean perhaps try to use two different size jars , complicate the things too much,i don't know.

Perhaps I could use the design show in the image,but playing with the jar diameter and the diameter of the rollers and axle to have the correct speed in each jar, no ?

Other thing i can do is calculate the pulleys need for have each jar at right speed , and only use jars of the same size, not mixing different size jars (For example first use 1/2 gallon jars , an then change pulleys and use 1 gallon jars for mill bp).

But i think this is a less efficient approach,why use only one or two jars of the same size,when you can prepare the ball mill to use different size jars at the same time ?

Well as you see, i want to be able to use more than one size jars,but i don't know the better way to do it

Do you have any ideas ?

What are your experiences in milling, what do you think about have different size jars, and how implement it? ( I think all here we think that have the possibility to use for example a 1/2 gallon jar,also of 1 gallon jar,for small compositions or like , is a good thing no ? )

Edited by whitewolf_573, 19 September 2009 - 04:02 PM.

I should say I want to believe ... (Fox Mulder X-Files II : i want to believe)

The truth is out there (X-Files)

I am an artist,a painter that paint the sky with blackpowder and fire

#119 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2009 - 04:32 PM

Well, this is the sketch of my future ball mill (well , i have bought all except the rollers,the heater hose , and a pulley for the motor, but until october i won't be able to buy it , and finish the mill).

As you can see in the image i will use a big (1,60 m) steel rod as axle fixed by three Pillow block bearings (Like this), and two Ball-Bearing Rollers ( I didn't buy them yet ), one of them nearer to the axle , so be able to use different size jars.

When i bought the pulley for the axle (this pulley), i didn't think in use more than one size jars,so i only made the calculations for a 1 gallon jar only.

But i started to think that it would be interesting to be able to use a smaller jar to mill small quantities of compositions or like, or use a bigger jar to mill more bp or individual chems.

But the dude i have is,what is the better way to be able to use two different jars at same time (so you could mill some bp , and some TT composition while you are doing other things, and don't have to mill first the bp , and then the other composition)

And if this is the better way to do the things,beause perhaps , wanting to be more efficient,i am doing the things a bit harder that they are, i mean perhaps try to use two different size jars , complicate the things too much,i don't know.

Perhaps I could use the design show in the image,but playing with the jar diameter and the diameter of the rollers and axle to have the correct speed in each jar, no ?

Other thing i can do is calculate the pulleys need for have each jar at right speed , and only use jars of the same size, not mixing different size jars (For example first use 1/2 gallon jars , an then change pulleys and use 1 gallon jars for mill bp).

But i think this is a less efficient approach,why use only one or two jars of the same size,when you can prepare the ball mill to use different size jars at the same time ?

Well as you see, i want to be able to use more than one size jars,but i don't know the better way to do it

Do you have any ideas ?

What are your experiences in milling, what do you think about have different size jars, and how implement it? ( I think all here we think that have the possibility to use for example a 1/2 gallon jar,also of 1 gallon jar,for small compositions or like , is a good thing no ? )

having two jars can be a bonus when milling. But both jars would need to be the same diameter or one would turn faster / slower than the other therefore would be less efficient.

Do you have a passfire account?, there's a great calculator on there that work out from your jar size / media size, which gives you the most efficient RPM. It also tells you the pulley size ect needed to get that RPM ect

though if you really want to have different jars size you could gear down the 2nd roller to change the speed to suit the different size jar.

also remember larger diameter jars will mill more efficient than smaller diameter one.

looks good though.

Edited by PyroPDC, 19 September 2009 - 04:35 PM.

#120 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:10 PM

i see a few options here
option one get two mills lol
option two get a speed inverter ( £££)to slow down or speed up your motor
option three have two driving shafts being run from one motor one with a big pulley wheel one with a smaller pulley wheel so in effect you have two mills from one motor
option four by far the easiest for small batches would be to reduce the length of your barrels! lol

Edited by chris m, 19 September 2009 - 11:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users