1 reply to this topic

#1 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 19 July 2021 - 11:55 AM

Fireworks don't kill horses , the equine business (or hobby) certainly does. Here is the article. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57881979

I didn't want to start a topic about the "anti" fireworks people, nor mention names. But none the less, I do find it very frustrating and depressing that the sort of people who viciously campaign against fireworks on the grounds that they are "distressing to animals" are not objecting to stuff like this which goes on all the time and has been for many years in the horse owning world. It's not just the racing industry, although that does seem like the current target of investigation from the BBC, and fair play to them for that. 

I actually support open and honest discussion about fireworks including potential distress, but struggle with people whose very grounds for banning fireworks is based on a double standard. That said the BBC themselves are hardly blameless as they screen the Grand National and promote it as a classic British Tradition. Maybe they should have a content warning along the lines of "The sporting event you are about to watch has a high chance of death for some of the animals involved." 

OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#2 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 10:57 AM

A bit more- If anyone saw the Olympics, today was actually the Modern Pentathlon. One of the events is horse jumping, and the horses are notoriously "moody." What they mean by this is that they are hard to ride, and refuse to do the jumps. Looking at the event, I can see why. One horse, called Saint Boy refused a jump and then was sort of half pulled into it, and knocked the bar off with his legs. He then sort of fell backwards across the jump. 

I'd be curious to how is that not deliberate cruelty to horses? The riders approach a jump with speed, and if the horse doesn't make it, then it's the horse's legs that literally take a hit from the bar. 

I think Wales has now banned animals from circuses. Strange really that they still allow similar in Olympics. And of course, Dressage... what is that if not a circus performance? 

Edit Saturday 11:15am: from the Guardian. https://www.theguard...e-annika-schleu

Edited by David, 07 August 2021 - 10:19 AM.

OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users