• Please log in to reply
823 replies to this topic

#751 Karl Mitchell-Shead

Karl Mitchell-Shead

MIExpE & Director - Illusion Fireworks Ltd

• UKPS Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:20 PM

No chlorine donor, ok the colour wasnt brilliant but clearly visible :)

www.illusionfireworks.com - A SKY FULL OF MAGIC!

#752 CCH Concepts

CCH Concepts

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:27 PM

my comment about negative explosives was over looked, am i asking about a banned subject here or just not alot of people have come across them before?

#753 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:12 PM

I love the idea of negative flash, sounds safer than normal flash and also doesn't contain the dam bright flash associated with it, depending on sulphate used etc.
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#754 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:54 PM

my comment about negative explosives was over looked, am i asking about a banned subject here or just not alot of people have come across them before?

It can be quite frustrating when you post on a forum and you get no replies, but it is a reality of the way things work unfortunately, and I doubt that there are any members who have not made posts and waited for a reply that never came.

While it does not mean that people are interested, it could be that people are interested but have nothing to contribute. Older members are also quite likely to have posted about, or read about negative explosives at some point in the past, since they are a topic that has popped up every few months for the last few years on the firework forums.

Personally, while I find such compositions interesting, they do not get me all that excited because of the use of Mg.

(4) In practical use it is necessary to protect the noise unit which contains the magnesium sulfate/magnesium mixture from moisture.

That, in my opinion, is what will stop Mg based negative explosives ever being widely used, and why I will continue to use Perchloeate/Aluminium for flash powders. It does not corrode, and while the sulfate/Mg mixture may not be as sensitive as the perchlorate/Aluminium mixture, the idea of fine magnesium with a water-attracting sulfate seems like a situation where the precautions to get it to work and be safe far outweigh the benefits that the composition gives.
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

#755 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:06 PM

MgAl seems to work also
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#756 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:31 PM

You could also try using a non-hygroscopic sulfate, such as strontium or barium sulfate. Hydrated CaSO4 works fine too. I doubt you'd get much of a color, but if you were worried, a mix of barium and strontium will make a white color anyway. I don't know what you're talking about with "and also doesn't contain the dam bright flash associated with it, depending on sulphate used etc. " The flash is still going to be blindingly bright. It is the Metal oxide that really makes the bright light.

One caveat associated with the negative explosives is that they are notoriously hard to initiate. You have to use a booster or ignition charge of the more sensitive 70/30 to get them going in some cases.

Another saluting mix that is said to be safer is an Ammonium Perchlorate and aluminum mixture. I have no idea why this would be any better than KP. However, this carries with it some risk. Ammonium Perchlorate is known to be able to be detonated. I've heard many people say that AP based mixtures are louder, and this may be why.

#757 CCH Concepts

CCH Concepts

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:24 PM

does the negative explosive have to use Mg, cant another metal be used such as Al. the little i have read didn't go into the chemistry behind the reaction. my assumption was it was a displacement striping the 4O from the sulfate.

#758 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:15 PM

Yes, but you would have to omit magnesium and copper sulfate. The other sulfates will work with aluminum.

Did anyone I try the calcium sulfate flash I recommended several pages back?

#759 CCH Concepts

CCH Concepts

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 02:33 PM

i havnt tried it, intended to. but my workshop got quite damp over the winter, so i decided all chems best left sealed and wait for the summer before i start experimenting again.

out of interest was a right that this is a displcment similar to thermite? the sulphate acting like the FeO?

#760 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:14 PM

Not quite a thermite, in the sense that no metals are produced. I believe someone posted an equation above where the sulfate gets reduced to the sulfide, and the metal forms it's oxide.

#761 CCH Concepts

CCH Concepts

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:46 PM

so its not as simple as the higher reactivity metal displacing the lower.
would there be any way of getting at all the oxygen, that reduces it from 4 to 2 atoms, could the other two not be reacted?
or is this due to bonding i see sulphide is two atoms are double bonded and 2 are sigle bonded.

i would be interesting to see if this could be reduced down to

CaSO4 + Mg = S + Ca + 4MgO

i appolgised for any spelling mistakes i cant use the spell check at work.

#762 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:14 AM

Forming CaS or MgS would be more energetically favorable, so I have my doubts.

#763 CCH Concepts

CCH Concepts

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:14 AM

by that do you mean the sulfur will react with the magnesium before the oxygen will so you will never get 4MgO

#764 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:00 PM

I'm more interested in sending a mole to Malta and gathering their colored flash secrets.

You can make incredibly nice green flash either with barium chlorate and magnalium or with barium chlorate, magnesium, potassium chlorate and PVC, though this flash isn't very safe, of course;

Ba(ClO3)2 50-65%
MgAl 35-50%

or:

Ba(ClO3)2 36%
Mg 46%
KClO3 11%
PVC 7%

Both will be incredibly green even in broad daylight.
"This salt, formerly called hyperoxymuriate of potassa, is
used for sundry preparations, and especially for experimental
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#765 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:39 PM

What I mean is that it will go CaSO4 + Mg ---> CaS + 4 MgO

Forming Ca + S + 4 MgO wouldn't be as energetically favorable as forming CaS. It would take a bunch of extra energy to break it apart into Ca + S. Calcium Sulfide is more stable than Magnesium Sulfide, so even with excess Magnesium, you couldn't form MgS and Ca metal.

Edited by Mumbles, 05 April 2010 - 03:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users