256 replies to this topic

#61 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 05:06 AM

Balsa is technicly a hardwood and Rimu, a new zealand native tree, is technicly a softwood. Rimu timber is so hard that it is basicly imposible to hammer a nail into it, even the strongest nails bend when hamered into the wood. so because It is called a hard wood does not mean that it is actualy that hard or if called a soft wood that soft. As far as I know fast burning charcoal comes from quick growing low ash producing wood.

it would be handy if someone wrote some info on wich woods to use and where to get the charcoal with pics and all it will be something ill try to do in summer when im not so busy

I agree and It would be good if they were referenced into sections for fast burning, long lasting sparks and burn rate concistency woods etc.
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

#62 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 02:17 PM

Hey everyone. A few days ago i started to construct my big charcoal making aparatus :D

It will work like the one shown here:
http://www.wpag.us/charcoal.htm

www.kkpaul.rpgames.de/pix/2.jpg
This is the barrel

www.kkpaul.rpgames.de/pix/1.jpg
This is my 60L Barrel with the screws and the lid

So, finally I can make more than 100g charcoal at once. Before that I had to do it in a "ckae tin".

I hope this will do a better job :)

Greets,

paul

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#63 Yugen-biki

Yugen-biki

Pyro is forever

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 05:16 PM

Quite large drum :)

Now you don't have to make like 100 small batches any more! :)

#64 StarScream

StarScream

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 08:01 PM

So, finally  I can make more than 100g charcoal at once. Before that I had to do it in a "ckae tin".

View Post

Paul: In another thread about charcoal you mentioned that you used to use the "Tin with Al-Foil and methylated spirits burner" method. I was just curious how that setup works. The picture showing it, that you had linked to in the post, is no longer available to view.
"Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think."

#65 s2525

s2525

Irish Pyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 10:34 PM

Well correct me if im wrong.
a tin like a tin of beans with youre wood in it top coverd in tinfoil and a few small holes put in it.Then placed about meths burner.
Youre Friend
S25
===

#66 broadsword

broadsword

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 11:57 PM

That would be VERY inefficient! You would not get very much charcoal out of that at all!
I would suggest using a tin rather like a 'celebrations' tin andpunch a few holes in the lid and fill with wood, then put the tin on a fire/red coals
Broadsword Calling DannyBoy....

#67 s2525

s2525

Irish Pyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 09:34 PM

No youre completly right broadsword but i dont do it like that i use a biscuit tin.I was replying to starstreams post on page 5 (very last one)
Youre Friend
S25
===

#68 DrDerekDoctors

DrDerekDoctors

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 04:49 PM

Does anyone know if buddleia makes for good Charcoal as my neighbour just chopped down a shedload of it which I have free pickings of. I can't seem to see if it's a hardwood or softwood online at all but the branches are nice and thin (1/2") so I'd imagine it'd convert into Charcoal pretty happily if I stuffed a biscuit tin full of it.

#69 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 04:56 PM

Pyrolyse some and see?

Worst case you have lots of charcoal for stars, rockets and gerbs.

#70 DrDerekDoctors

DrDerekDoctors

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 05:00 PM

Pyrolyse some and see?

Worst case you have lots of charcoal for stars, rockets and gerbs.

View Post

This is true, it's just as I haven't located any willow yet (apparently I've left it a little late) I have no way of making a comparison. I do know where I can get a load of poplar, though, so I shall grab a bunch of that as well.

#71 Yugen-biki

Yugen-biki

Pyro is forever

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 05:09 PM

DrDerekDoctors

Hardwood and softwood has no connection with the pyrotechnical quallity of the finished charcoal.

As long as you don't use BBQ charcoal from the super market, you can make working coal. Milling the ingredients is more important when makeing BP.
But after you have perfected the method of makeing BP, the charcoal is the only factor that may improve the BP.

Conclution: try and see. You don't have anything to lose if you don't make loads of it.

#72 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 05:12 PM

You can never have enough charcoals!

One day you might find the odd one in the shed is perfect for senko hanabi.

#73 Flashy

Flashy

Safety First!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 12:12 PM

Well i'm going out wood collecting today, I have access to plenty of poplars, they're all over the place. The willow is a little harder but I know where there are some, question for anyone out there who knows. Does it make any difference using "weeping willow" or the "non weeping willow"? I know where there is a huge bank of the non weeping kind.

#74 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 12:36 PM

It would probibly not affect the charcoal quality much but I prefer the non weeping type, purely because it is so much easier to debark. Just slit short lengths of the branch lengthwise and peel it off as aposed to time consuming scraping. This only works with branches with green bark though.
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

#75 broadsword

broadsword

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 02:16 PM

I dont use weeping willow! And my BP is great! :D
It shouldnt matter.

DrDerekDoctors: when you said you left it abit late, I dont think you have because its now spring so the leaves will be comminf out and willow is a hell of alot easier to distinguish from the leaves!
I know most people when they first start go looking for weeping willow, (me included :P)

But i have an endless (nearly) source! Someone I know is a gardener and one of the people that he has done work for ownes LOADS of land and there is SOOOO many willow trees on it! You stand at her house and every tree you can see is willow :D . I have been told i can take as much as i want! :D
Broadsword Calling DannyBoy....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users