Photo

What type of glue you lot use for making tubes?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#46 FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 10:35 PM

Yeah, but without the holes punched on the edge. They're called file folders in the U.S., though I believe you folks use the term Railex folders.

You want the larger format ones with a single tab for less waste (you have to cut off the tabs to make a nice rectangle sheet).

My way is simple but effective:

I am using kraft paper, 50/50 good wood-/ cheap wallpaperglue and steel/alu rods for the work.

Roll them up, kutting while still moist on the steelroller (much easier to cut), slide them off and let them dry om the aluroller.
The space betewwn each tube also seems to speed up drying, since a bit of moisture escapes there.

I will try "Manilla folder", but a bit unsure of what it actually is.
Are we talking about the thick paper used to divide papers in a "ring portefoil"?

#47 aquarius

aquarius

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 07:18 PM

Thank you, I have probably found what the equalent in my own homecountry.

Are we taking about this product or this one? They come quite cheap in bulk.

#48 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:23 PM

not sure if this is the place to mention it, but I now use 'lining paper' (plain wallpaper) for nearly all my cases. Its strong, you can get it in various thicknesses and it's cheap as chips!

You can get it in all DIY superstores from grade 400 (thin) to grade 1000 (thick)
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#49 aquarius

aquarius

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:29 PM

Hmm, not a bad idea. Are you using wallpaper and wallpaperglue, thats it?

And if possible, could you post a close-up picture of the paper?

#50 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:43 PM

I use PVA, as it dries much quicker than wallpaper paste.
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#51 FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 09:09 PM

You want the first one that you linked to. The second one might work too, but you'd have to do a lot of cutting to get rid of that left edge with the holes.

Ours look a bit different, but I'm sure it's the same material.

http://www.officedep...=...rue&An=text

Thank you, I have probably found what the equalent in my own homecountry.

Are we taking about this product or this one? They come quite cheap in bulk.

#52 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:04 PM

Another thing to think about is card stock. It is the stuff greeting cards and what not are made from. They come in normal sized sheets, A4 I think. Standard computer paper size. I think I've also seen it in larger sheets. It is approximatly the same thickness as manilla folders. I do believe about 100lb in US measurement. I don't know the metric equivalent off the top of my head, sorry. 5x whatever computer paper thickness is.

#53 aquarius

aquarius

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:23 PM

Right, thank you lads.

As for Mumbles last post; it is only size or thickness we want, but not also the special paper?
Or else we could use thin cardboard, I know som articles use the therm cardboard.

#54 EnigmaticBiker

EnigmaticBiker

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:46 PM

not sure if this is the place to mention it, but I now use 'lining paper' (plain wallpaper) for nearly all my cases. Its strong, you can get it in various thicknesses and it's cheap as chips!

Good idea!
I'll try it when I run out of Kraft.

The Manilla folders are a good one too, the original Manila hemp fibre is derived from banana leaves and one of the toughest fibres.

Two easy methods for checking whether paper will be strong as a casing:-
How strong is it when wet?
Does the wet paper stay as a sheet when crumpled?
Tear it and check the length of the fibres, the longer the better.

#55 Jerronimo

Jerronimo

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:01 PM

What paperweight are we looking at?
I looked on the net and it seems there's alot of difference in quality.
110gr/m2, 180gr/m2, 190gr/m2 all sold as filefolder.
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

#56 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:17 PM

It's both thickness and quality. I agree than manilla folders are very hard and strong. The cardstock tubes I've rolled I've noticed very little difference though, mainly in hardness of final tubes. I don't make salutes or rockets really at this point so I dont have that to compare. I do use manilla for fountain tubes and such. Mostly because its longer than card stock and allows thicker tubes without multiple strips, which I feel lowers the integrity of the tube.

#57 burningbush

burningbush

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 02:12 PM

Another thing to think about is card stock. It is the stuff greeting cards and what not are made from. They come in normal sized sheets, A4 I think. Standard computer paper size. I think I've also seen it in larger sheets. It is approximatly the same thickness as manilla folders. I do believe about 100lb in US measurement. I don't know the metric equivalent off the top of my head, sorry. 5x whatever computer paper thickness is.

One more if you care to try, I use heavy construction paper normally 65#is its rating.
I use white glue then dip in Minwax woodhardner. Ive made a few tubes this way and they work very well, better then more turns or thicker walls . The wall thickness is only 1mm + .
Ive used epoxy before but it is to brittle, it creates small sharp shards of glue . Too danerous!
but the woodhardner works and doesnt create the hazards. give it a try you wont be sorry.
I think I got this info from skylighter's newsletter some time ago now.

Hope this helps

P.c
[COLOR=purple][SIZE=1][FONT=Impact][B]
I love it! I can buy a pack of smokes which will hurt me for sure! Yet theres a 1000 laws in place to protect me from myself . I guess its ok to harm your self if its slow and will help the economy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users