• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 Sprengman

Sprengman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 01:42 AM

I have noticed that strontiumnitrate based stars are burning with the best red color that is possible.

I used the following composition:

Sr(NO3)2 : 55%
Mg: 28%
PVC: 10%
Red Gum: 7%

Solvent: Alcohol

These stars make a very bright but also deep red color. They dry very quickly. So the stars can grow with a high speed. The Red Gum prevents the Magnesium from water very good.

#17 Dj Killerboss

Dj Killerboss

Firedevil

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 09:16 AM

This is also a good star

KNO3 20
Mg 60
SrCO3 10
Schellack 10

The star burns with a red flashlight. It is shortlive but had an very nice effect
Do you have fire??

#18 Yugen-biki

Yugen-biki

Pyro is forever

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 12:02 PM

I have tested some different red stars. The first one i tested some years ago was the red one in the picture. The star is very bright and the flame center tend to get a more white color.
The "green" star found on the same page in Lancaster (p.214) did not work as good. The star in the picture was at least one year old and the Mg coated with lins-seed oil. When new the green was OK but after some time on the shelf if became quite bad.
Also notice the "embers" in the top of the flames of both stars. This is due to a large PVC content. (red 17% and green about the same).
The stars were tested on the ground in the picture. The red star was very nice in the air, but the green not so because of the bad color.
They need a hot prime!
(They contain SrNO3, Mg and PVC (or BaNO3 for the green)).

Posted Image

I tested the star in lancaster on page 212 useing clorate, red gum, dextrin and SrCO3.
This one had a different depth of color. More to a deeper shade of red. Very beautiful but not as illuminating as the one with Mg (of course).
And they light easy compared to the Mg ones.

The third used SrNO3 but no Mg or Al. This is my favourite because it is very easy to ignite and the color is good.
It has no "embers" in the top of the flame and the center of the flame is as red as the rest of the flame. Not like the Mg illuminating stars in the picture.
This star is found on p.66 in Best of AFN II. Is contains coal, red gum, SrNO3, dextrin and PVC.
It is has a little brighter color then the one with SrCO3 in Lancaster.

I use 100% StarsolvTM in star containing SrNO3 (and stars with Mg!). Useing water will end up with moist unigniteable stars.

I like the last star because of the good color and because it is easy to ignite. In AFN it is listed as "Deep red", and it is deep.

Edited by Yugen-biki, 03 January 2005 - 07:12 PM.

#19 broadsword

broadsword

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 12:38 PM

Do you think you might be able to make that pic a bit smaller please :)
I think the mods/admins may want you to aswell.
Broadsword Calling DannyBoy....

#20 BurlHorse

BurlHorse

Burlhorse

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 07:12 PM

If I make a Strontium Nitrate based star, do I need to use just Alcohol for wetting?  I'm thinking about using Red gum as a binder, but I'm unsure about how well these stars will dry.  Strontium Nitrate is hydroscopic (right :blink:? ), so will wetting them with water mean they wont dry? 

I know I sound stupid :rolleyes:

Not Stupid, and They will Dry, Red Gum and Alcohol as a binding system works well for cut stars, but rolling it nearly impossible, or I guess really wasteful at best. Depending on the formula, which you did not post so I don't know the other chems involved, however, Strontium Nitrate is not nearly as Hygroscopic as say....Sodium Nitrate, So I don't generally have any problems with Strontium Reds drying, additionally, if dextrin is an option, don't forget, pure alcohol will hinder it's binding proerties and you will end up with a yunky gunky mess that wont hold together or be easy to work with....... Good Luck, Happy New Year and as always,

Stay Green,

Bear
There are old pyros, and there are bold pyros, but there are not very many old, bold pyros....

Check Out My E-Bay Auctions !!

#21 Deafaid

Deafaid

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 10:53 AM

Sprengman...or anyone else

Can I possibly replace the Mg with Mg/Al?
Are those stars pumped or rolled?
thanks in advance

#22 Jerronimo

Jerronimo

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 04:28 PM

For a realy good saturated bright magnesium green you should try the ''green star briliant'' by Shimizu it's realy very nice!
The magnesium red is also very good.

A realy good magnalium green:

barium nitrate 55
potassium chlorate 5
magnalium (200 mesh) 15
parlon 15
dextrin 10
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

#23 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:02 PM

hmm just purchased a kilo of strontium nitrate, any tips on storage to keep the moisture out? how do you store yours?

#24 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:09 PM

In tight bottles or cans of plastic.
"This salt, formerly called hyperoxymuriate of potassa, is
used for sundry preparations, and especially for experimental
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#25 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:12 PM

any tips on storage to keep the moisture out? how do you store yours?

Just airtight plastic containers, though before use heating it will remove any moisture, around 100-ish C ????
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#26 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:53 PM

I bought "super dry" KClO3 from K*t*N. It's awesome. B)
"This salt, formerly called hyperoxymuriate of potassa, is
used for sundry preparations, and especially for experimental
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#27 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:20 PM

I dry mine then seal in a ziploc bag. I then put the ziploc into a sealable plastic container with a few (oven dried) dessicant packs, like the ones the box with new shoes or other stuff you buy.

#28 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:49 PM

Quote from FAST. Takeo Shimizu

“Pulverized barium or strontium nitrate consolidates onto a hard mass over a period of time. These substances are dried above 100 degrees C and stored in a moisture proof contained, e.g. a steel drum. Nitrates are sometimes placed in a iron pan and heated over a direct heat with constant stirring. It is not dangerous unless a combustible material is added to it. It should be stirred with a spatula made of incombustible material such as aluminium.”

New concept for stir frying.
Freud. Artists, in this view, are people who may avoid neurosis and perversion by sublimating their impulses in their work.

#29 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:06 AM

thanks, i'll go down the path of drying it, the only reason i was asking was that i remembered reading that there was a study on it, and even in an airtight jar it could lose up to 40% of its effectiveness as and oxidizer over a period of six months, how true that is i don't know, it just stuck in my mind so i never bothered buying it.

#30 spanner

spanner

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:52 AM

...i remembered reading that there was a study on it, and even in an airtight jar it could lose up to 40% of its effectiveness as and oxidizer over a period of six months...

In my experience, strontium and barium nitrate both lasts for years when stored in dry airtight containers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users