• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Dan

Dan

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 04:18 AM

i was looking on the net today and came across a website that says u can make Copper (II) oxide using sodium hydroxide and Copper sulfate. can any one tell me if it is safe to do and if so how to? thx

#2 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 06:24 AM

Why do you want to make it anyway, it is easier to just buy it? If you do want to do it anyway...

It should be possible. The same method can be used to make Iron Oxide. Dissolve the Copper Sulphate and Sodium Hydroxide in a minimal amount of water each. Now pour one into the other. You should instantly get a precipitate. Stir it for a few minutes and leave for half an hour. You can then either slowly pour off the excess liquid and then add some more, clean water or leave it. Gently heat the mixture in boiling water and it should slowly change colour and change into Copper Oxide. Once done, leave it over night and then decant and wash you Copper Oxide.

No safety needs to be taken into account other than the obvious, don't breath in or eat anything, wash hands if anything gets on them etc.

Edited by Stuart, 07 July 2004 - 06:25 AM.

#3 Dan

Dan

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 01:03 PM

cool thanks stuart. i just find it to be a challenge and sort of fun to make ur own things rather than buy them which takes most of the fun out of it.

btw are Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate (CuSO) and copper sulfate the same thing and if not what is the difference?

here is a link of the MSDS root killer k-77

Edited by Dan, 07 July 2004 - 01:49 PM.

#4 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 02:18 PM

They are the same chemical except in the Pentrahydrate, there are water molecules trapped inside the crystal lattice. It shouldn't make any difference to the reaction but if you want to use Anhydrous Copper Sulphate (no water), just put your Hydrate in the oven for an hour or so.

#5 Dan

Dan

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 02:23 PM

cool thx stuart i will let u know if it works.

#6 Dan

Dan

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 01:09 PM

ok stuart i got everything mixed. when i mixed them together they made a blue solid color and i waited about 30-45 minutes. it had turned a black color. then i boiled it and it didnt change color. isnt blaack what i a looking for? cant i just run it thru a coffee filter to take out he water? what is the stuff mixed with the water after the reaction?
thx for the help
Dan

Edited by Dan, 09 July 2004 - 01:09 PM.

#7 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 02:42 PM

Sounds like you might have done it. Copper (II) Oxide is black. The blue solid you first saw would be the Copper Hydroxide formed. It sounds like you don't have to boil it though so yes, just run it through a coffee filter and omit the boiling bit.

Well done :)

Stuart

#8 Dan

Dan

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 02:54 PM

COOL thx stuart. i will boil one and filter the other and let u know which one is better.

#9 completebeginner

completebeginner

Made My First Working Shell!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 05:55 AM

would it be possible to make copper oxide using copper powder and hydrogen peroxide?

#10 Frozentech

Frozentech

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 06:43 AM

would it be possible to make copper oxide using copper powder and hydrogen peroxide?

I do not think so. I am curious as to whether Dan was able to use his precipitated Copper II Oxide. When looking for info in my library, I only found references such as Weingart, that stated "only the fused (Copper Oxide) form is useful, the brownish-black, light precipitated oxide is useless."
"The word unblowupable is thrown around a lot these days, but I think I can say with confidence..."
KAABLAAAMMM!!!
"OK... that shows you what could potentially happen."
--Homer Simpson

#11 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 06:46 AM

I've used precipitated copper oxide before. It seemed to work alright. They burn fine and a nice blue on the ground. I didn't prime them well enough in the air.

#12 JamesH

JamesH

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 10:47 AM

You can convert copper (II) carbonate to copper (II) oxide by heating it. Have you tried that approach?
HE WHO HATH ONCE SMELT THE SMOKE IS NE'ER AGAIN FREE

#13 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 01:10 PM

No safety needs to be taken into account other than the obvious, don't breath in or eat anything, wash hands if anything gets on them etc.

and don't do it in an aluminium pot.

#14 jerke

jerke

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 10:54 AM

and don't do it in an aluminium pot.

And store it in a airtight plastic pot, because it reacts with air to form Coppercarbonate ( Green powder )

#15 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 12:55 PM

And store it in a airtight plastic pot, because it reacts with air to form Coppercarbonate ( Green powder )

i idn't know that, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users