40 replies to this topic

#16 Loci

Loci

Time Lord

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 03:06 PM

well, the stuff seems ok for my pnumatic and propane spud guns, perhaps I could be wrong...
"There are always alternatives. "
"If your Aunty had balls.... She'd be your Uncle!"

#17 Phoenix

Phoenix

UKR Forum Ex Regular!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 05:12 PM

In a pneumatic spudgun the pressure builds slowly, and is then released so there is no "positive" shock on the chamber, and the pressure cannot go above a certain level (usually about 100 PSI max). With the fuel/air ones, I believe the pressure seldom reaches over 20 PSI (using propane or butane and air, rather that acetylene or something crazy like that). I have a pressure gauge on mine, which jumps to about 7 PSI when it fires. Even so, I have seen reports of combustion chamber shattering, so mine is made from HDPE.

According to Ofca's "Condensed Fireworks Chemicals Reference Manual" saran, a.k.a. polyvinylidene chloride, is "softened by chlorinated hydrocarbons and soluble in cyclohexanone and dioxane." However, saran wrap won't be pure saran, so its solubility may be different.

#18 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 05:24 PM

Please, no talk of 'potato cannons' here. It isn't pyro in my eyes...
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#19 miniskinny

miniskinny

Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 06:53 PM

You can actually make a very effective spud gun with gun powder, and I would consider that very pyrotechnic
When one plays with fire, one is bound to get burndt.

#20 Dan

Dan

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 04:01 AM

i was searching the net a few days ago and i found a company where i live and the sell saran pvc barium carbonate and strontium carbonate. does any onee one any good excuses why i need the chemicals besides a home experiment just incase they ask?

#21 Matt

Matt

Another Aussie Trying To take Over

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 09:12 AM

Or you could not be paranoid.......
Try to run! try to hide! Break on through to the other side!! YYYEEEAAAAOOHHHHHHHHAAAAHHHHHHHH

#22 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 09:14 AM

Soulds like they could be a pyrotechnic supplier (saran, PVC, etc), so just say pyrotechnics! I don't really think it's a good idea to lie to a supplier about uses for chemicals. If it's for home experiments, then just say so. Some companies will (or claim to) check chemical compatabilities on your order, so use common sense.

#23 Dan

Dan

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 01:09 PM

Soulds like they could be a pyrotechnic supplier (saran, PVC, etc), so just say pyrotechnics!  I don't really think it's a good idea to lie to a supplier about uses for chemicals. If it's for home experiments, then just say so.  Some companies will (or claim to) check chemical compatabilities on your order, so use common sense.

no Creepin_pyro i am positive they r not.
chemical supplyer
above is a link to there website.
is barium carbonate useful in green stars? i know barium nitrate is.

BTW can i use sculpty as a binder too?

Edited by Dan, 12 July 2004 - 01:22 PM.

#24 lord_dranack

lord_dranack

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 02:12 PM

Dan, as you live in Texas, why not just order your chemicals from one of the many american pyro suppliers, like skylighter?

#25 Dan

Dan

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 04:45 PM

Dan, as you live in Texas, why not just order your chemicals from one of the many american pyro suppliers, like skylighter?

ya lord_dranack, i live in texas. i try not to order things off the net because i hate paying shipping and handling which somtimes costs more than the actual thing i am buying. i am strongly thinking about ordering potassium perclorate from a supplier off the net as i cant find it in town :( :unsure:
I also dont have very much money to spend so i try to get the most for my buck. :(

Edited by Dan, 12 July 2004 - 04:49 PM.

#26 lord_dranack

lord_dranack

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 05:38 PM

fair enough!
the shipping charges are, understandably, even higher to England bout its the only option for some chemicals.

#27 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 05:50 PM

I'm not so sure what you do with your 'guns' but any device meant for causing harm or damage, wether it be by compressed air, black powder or by farting, is not to be discussed here. I'm sure there are plenty of 'Spud Freak' forums where you can discuss the right bore, chambers etc to your heart's content. But not here. Says I.
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#28 Dan

Dan

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 05:52 PM

fair enough!
the shipping charges are, understandably, even higher to England bout its the only option for some chemicals.

that is why i am not to happy about posibly needing to order perclorate. i usually try to find formulas for colored stars using kno3.
Dan

#29 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 05:08 PM

Doe anyone know a UK supplier of HDPE pipe who will deal in smallish quantities with joe public? Had no luck finding one so far and am using cardboard morters at the moment...
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#30 Dan

Dan

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 05:27 PM

I dont know about the UK but i found a supplier near the city where is live. I found them by going to google and typing in hdpe pipe. Hope that helps.
Dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users