102 replies to this topic

#31 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 02:48 PM

Yes I have worked with Ron and Bob, Bob is the main firework designer I designed some fireworks for this years bonfire night Guy Fawkes 400th year anniversary so I wad designing some fireworks for black cat. Ron is leaving soon or has gone he is retiring :o . I got lots of info about fireworks from Ron and Bob since Bob made rockets and other stuff and Ron made fireworks and also was at the military building explosives. I got my tools from them they make some fireworks still in one shed only like fountains or modifying rockets and stuff. The women doing that used to make rockets with Bob and mostly every one working making fireworks was women lol. Some men were to and I was told it was hard work working with them lolololololol :D . I had a good time there. I saw the man ho owns Pyro 200 I forgot his name thou now lol. He told me about different display fireworks and stuff.

Did you work with Ron to Adam?

Edit i did not put charge ther it was soposed to be B*omb for B*omb fire night.

EDIT: Spelling mistake corrected by RH :)

Edited by Richard H, 25 July 2004 - 11:36 AM.

fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#32 Phoenix

Phoenix

UKR Forum Ex Regular!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 11:29 AM

Edit i did not put charge ther it was soposed to be B*omb for B*omb fire night.

It's "Bonfire Night" - as in "Big heap of burning stuff Night." After Mr Fawkes's death, people lit bonfires to celebrate the fact that the country's leaders hadn't been blown up. Since fireworks weren't so widely available then, it was the bonfire that was the main attraction and gave its name to the event.

#33 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

Light Up The Sky - KF Pyro Crew

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 09:39 AM

A few dates to put in your diary's

13th August
Cowes, Isle of Wight
Cowes Week Firework Display

4th September
Festival of Fireworks
Shugborough Estate, Stafford

* 25th September * - watch the boy's from BPS in action.
K-Lob 2004
Southview Farm, Heckington, Lincolnshire

21st August 2004
Firework Champions - 4 teams
Stanford Hall - Saturday

Mark

PS: Have moved this topic back to where it originaly was as it falls under pro displays / consumer fireworks. Please do not post queries / questions relating to devices or equipment - use the relevant areas of the forum.

Edited by The_Djinn, 25 July 2004 - 09:49 AM.

KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

#34 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 06:48 PM

Dont forget the Cowes Week display this Friday (13th) for those of you in the far south. More information can be found by clicking HERE . The music track for the show can be heard on Cowes Radio on 106.2FM

Mark
KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

#35 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 05:51 PM

Upcomming events

Come watch Adam - MLE in action at the Firework Champions 2004
21st August 2004 - Stanford Hall, Leicestershire
(anyone not supporting Adam and the MLE team will meet his stick afterwards!)
Click HERE for more info.

Friday 20th and Saturday 21st - Northampton Balloon Festival 2004
Kimbolton Dispaly to music.
(Great family day out with plenty to do)
Click HERE for more info

Mark
KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

#36 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 10:37 PM

For anyone who made it to the Northampton Balloon festival on Friday, the display was pulled due to wind as well as wind direction.... safety comes first.
Anyone there on Saturday would have seen a brilliant show with a broad spectrum of effects.

Those of you that made it to the Fireworks Champions copetition to Support Adam and the rest of the MLE crew, thanks. Unfortunately I was drafted in to crew on the Balloon festival shows hence my absense at the competition. From feedback I have had, it was worth the trip and there were great displays from all the teams involved. I expect that RichardH will have some pictures in the gallery soon for us all to drool over. I have some footage of the Ballon Festival show which when I get a chance will get it down to a semi reasonable size and will find somewhere to put it for people to access.

Upcomming events...

St Ives Music & Arts Festival
Firworks Display Saturday 28th
More info HERE

Festival of Fireworks
Saturday 4th September
Shugborough Estate
More information HERE
Watch the "meeting up" thread for information on the BPS gathering for those of you who will be attending.

Great one for those of you with kids... or younger siblings, nephews etc..

Legoland
KNIGHT'S KINGDOM FIREWORKS
23rd - 24th & 29th - 31st October

To celebrate the end of our ninth season, catch our stunning fireworks display with amazing special effects to thrill the whole family.
More information HERE

Watch out for the November listings... its going to be long and its going to be country wide.

Mark

Edited by The_Djinn, 24 August 2004 - 10:38 PM.

KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

#37 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 08:41 AM

Okay, Shugborough was great but as I am to dam tiered I will not do a write up on it as even my fingers are aching today. There were enough people from the forum present who can put a write up of their views and experiences at the event in this thread.

Mark
KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

#38 RegimentalPyro

RegimentalPyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 10:02 AM

An excellent show.

Kimbolton were jawdroppingly good, and the first display of *handfired* classic 50's/60's fireworks by the Rev. was just sublime in its effects. Large,slow,counter rotating wheels that threw out effects that were easily 5m across

Both Spitfire and Merlin gave good tight, well choreographed displays, with spitfire demonstrating clearly the prowess that won them British Musical champions 2 years running. Merlins final sequence accompanied by SpandauBallet's "Gold" and featuring [suprise-suprise] only gold pyro was exceedingly well received.

Jubilee however, was quite clearly plagued by technical problems and their show did not live up to the reputation they have gained from prvious years shows. Large blank spots in the display and poor timing indicate their sequencer was kaput. In addition a stray comet caused quite a bit of consternation. This was a great shame as they were hosting the event.

But the stars of the show were quite clearly Kimbolton. They filled the sky from horizon to azimuth with coordinated well timed bursts that just built and built. And then built some more. If I tell you that the musical accompaniments started with FrankieGoesToHollywoods "Two Tribes" and Darude's "Sandstorm" that should give you some idea of the pace and the spectacle on show. Awesome!

Finally this shoot had the benefit [to me] of putting faces to a lot of you guys. A big hello to ChemicalWazi, CreepinPyro, TheDjinn and RichardH who were all in attendance. Also to SASman who I understand was there but I did not get a chance to talk to.

#39 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 02:58 PM

What a great night :D

Kimbolton really lived up to their reputation, with awe-inspiring set-piece intro, followed by a jaw-dropping display. I was thoroughly impressed with Merlin and Spitfire's efforts - I've never seen choreography that good before!

I felt a little sorry for Jubilee, who were clearly having promlems with the firing system, and the stray comet was quite worrying, but they still managed to put on a great show.

I took some photos, but have yet to organise them properly. Fiddling with exposures and trying to watch a display is harder than you might think, but some actually turned out allright :lol:

Here's a few little samples until I sort it all out: sample pics

All in all, 'twas a wonderful evening - as RegimentalPyro said, it's great to put some faces to some of the names on the forum. Hopefully we can get another meet organised soon.

EDIT: err, hosting problems.... I'll try to sort it soon :rolleyes:

Edited by Creepin_pyro, 05 September 2004 - 03:00 PM.

#40 Phoenix

Phoenix

UKR Forum Ex Regular!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 04:42 PM

I've seen a few references to this stray comet. What happened? I know that there was a period during Jubilee's display where comets were launching a bit close over the audience, and a couple shells got launched to the left and right hand sides, which seemed to burst very low above the audience, and scatter (If I remember rightly) red stars and silver comets or hummers over them. Is this what people are referring to, or was there a different incident? Apparently no one was hurt, though.

On a brighter note, judging by the parts of Jubilee's display that seemed to be working as intended (the sweeping fans of comets to the Matrix theme, for example) it would have been have a very good display to end the evening with.

Kimbolton definately nailed it though... I've always wanted to see some set pieces like that at a display, and the front of 75mm titanium gerbes were amazing. Their finale actually filled more sky with stars than you could see all at one.

Spitfire and Merlin clearly had a lot to follow, after Kimbolton's display, but they were very well choreographed and went well with the music, and were both excellent displays with a good variety of effects, including some interesting ground effects.

My dad took some photos, but they really don't do it justice. I might put a few of the better ones on Stuart's site. All in all, it was a very enjoyable evening, so thanks to everyone on the firing crews.

#41 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 10:55 PM

I've sorted out my photos of the evening, and divided them up into zipped forders for each display, starting with Kimbolton's introduction. I've reduced the quality, and cropped a few, so the file sizes range from .6mb to 1.8mb.

Kimbolton Set-Pieces

Kimbolton - main display

Spitfire

Merlin
Take a look at pics 104 (the orange stuff) and 111. Did anyone notice this effect? Hard to explain - like a dense rain of low-power go-getters :unsure:

Jubilee
All I saw of the stray comet incident was a low breaking shell to the left, then I looked to the centre to see some crew running into the crowd :( - glad to hear no-one was hurt. As you can see from the stills, despite the problems, they still painted the sky rather well :D

Enjoy the photos.

#42 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 11:10 AM

Great photos, thanks for that!

#43 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 10:31 AM

Just to remind people everyone - a quote from the djinn post:

* 25th September * - watch the boy's from BPS in action.
K-Lob 2004
Southview Farm, Heckington, Lincolnshire

Event info: www.ukra.org.uk

So you will have a chance to see a nice display and maybe have a word face to face with members of the administration team.

One note to make, because there were plenty of disappointed people in the past in those events - we are there first thing to WORK, and probably wont have too much time for a cheat chat. Later on in the afternoon, if we finish things well ahead of time, we will be happy to have a word.

#44 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 05:11 PM

Okay,

Spent the day dissecting the KLOB show. There were some issues and the show lacked pace through the middle stages. Some of this was down to me, and some down to technical issues.
The intro was bang on, the only thing I would do different is add another 6 to 10 metres between each of the 8 front positions and likewise with the 5 mine positions.
The finale fired bang on time to a point that the best display designers would have been proud of.
During the middle stage there was a bank of 28mm candles on the left and right positions that did not fire even though they past the continuity test. This put a heart wrenching 20 second blank spot in the show ? unfortunately there was no shell?s cued for this piece otherwise I would have got away with it. There was also another two 5 second gaps due to me allowing 7 to 10 seconds for a 10 single shot fan which I thought would fire one at a time and not all 10 at once. Only on Saturday when the stock arrived did I find out the ones that were ordered were all 10 shots fired at once? 3 seconds tops, left me with 5 seconds of nothing.
Even though we had spent a bit of extra time in the morning checking all the e-match prior to fusing, there was still issues. Only saving grace was that everything was symmetrical on the left and right of the display area and if a cake failed on the left the one on the right fired.. thank goodness otherwise there would have been more blank spots, but it did make the display appear a little thin at times.
Would I fire the same show again ?... most definitely but with a few minor alterations. I would drop a few of the 6? shells and increase the 4? and the 3? shells to keep them pumping through out the show. I would also tighten the timing up a little and make sure I had more cover on certain areas.
Was a big learning curve for me as this was the first computer fired show I have attempted, and at the end of the day a lot of valuable lessons were learnt.

To round off, all the folks From BPS that were present had a great time and it was nice to meet some of the other faces I had not had chance to meet before. Thanks to Regimental Pyro and Richard who spent most of the day digging holes in the field for the 8? and 6? mortars, Adam who did a lot of the fusing pre prep, and everyone else for all the mounting and wiring in of the firing system.

Last but not least, a special thanks To Matt from MLE for supplying some of the pyro and all the mortar tubes as well as pitching in on the day to give us a hand.
Another Special thanks to Darryl from Kimbolton for the loan of Firelite and for downloading my script into the system as well as supplying some of the pyro.
Another thanks to UK Fireworks Review for donating the 8? shells used in the finale as well as a few other bits and bobs and for chipping in on the day.

From me personally, thanks to everyone who took part and helped on the day and to those who made financial donations as well, with out you we could not have done this.

We will be back? bigger and better

Mark

Edited by The_Djinn, 26 September 2004 - 05:23 PM.

KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

#45 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 10:03 AM

Okay, 2 weeks to the 5th Nov... and no one has posted any info on displays. Doesnt anyone know of public displays / events in there areas ?

Here is a few that I know of..

24th Legoland (Windsor) - Kimbolton
6:30pm start

29th / 30th / 31st Legoland (Windsor) - Kimbolton
6:30pm start

5th Peterborough - Round Table
Ferry Medows

5th Whittlesey - Rotary
Bank Farm - 7:30pm start

3rd Cambridgeshire ? - Kimbolton
Will update

4th Liverpool - Kimbolton
SETUP ONLY

5th Liverpool - Kimbolton
3 Positions... Liverpool Dock being Central Main position.

6th Norwich - Kimbolton
Will update

7th Cambridge - kimbolton
Will update

Most towns that have Round Table or Rotary International will have displays, and all proceeds from the gates go to charity so get along and support worthy causes.

Mark

Edited by The_Djinn, 01 November 2004 - 09:13 PM.

KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users