• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#46 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 10:42 AM

November 3rd: The Fleece - Ripponden, Sowerby Bridge, West Yorks.

November 5th - To be updated

November 6th - Rocketeer pyro fest, Sheffield

November 7th - East Anglian Rocketry Society firework display, Elsworth, Cambs.

I will be involved with all of these displays, It should be a fun week!

#47 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 03:38 PM

The Fireworks magazine also lists displays here:

http://www.fireworks...rg/disp1104.htm
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#48 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

Light Up The Sky - KF Pyro Crew

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 12:42 PM

I hope everyone had a good Nov 5th and stayed safe. To all the people working on proffesional crews, hope you all had great shows and got back safely.

Please feel free to use this area of the forum to give write ups on your displays and experiences, especialy for those working on crews for the first time.
I will add here later giving you a round up of various displays, including the largest in the country for the 5th.

Mark
KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

#49 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 10:23 PM

I'll do a write up soon, I need sleep now :) Been a really busy week, shows practically every night!

#50 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 07:09 PM

It appears that no one had any displays worth mentioning over the November period?

I will give a brief run down on some of displays that I was involved with over the past few weeks

Sat 30th / Sun 31st Oct.
Legoland ? end of season.

These were the last 2 of 5 shows, 2 the weekend prior and on Friday 29th. We had a reasonable size crew due the spread of the shooting area which was probably half the total width of Legoland itself. There were three main positions with shells, cakes and candles with 9 front positions comprising of candles, mines, single shot candles etc. With out having to rig mortar racks and lay out the positions there was still a good six to seven hours loading time which gives you an idea of the amount of stuff used.

The show was based around the Lego Knights and was set to depict a battle in the sky over Legoland. Due to the theme, care had been taken in the selection of colours to be used which had to depict each of the colours of the Lego Knights. All in all it was a good show set to music with a build up event in 2 arenas within Legoland which set the scene for the sky battle. Care was also taken with the selection of devices used due to our close proximity to London?s Heathrow airport and it was interesting to see that during the show the aircraft would bank onto one side as they passed next to the area which shows that the pilots were trying to offer a better view to all those on board.

Wed 3rd Nov
A College in Cambridge

This was to be a smallish show lasting around 15 minutes and all hand fired. With only a 2 man crew we managed to set up everything in around 3 hours. Due to the fact that it was to be hand fired, we paid attention to the layout as we wanted to be able to move around the area with safety and ease during the show. The firing was split between 2 of us, myself doing the cakes and candles and the other person doing the shells.
Nice part about this show is that we had a few new cakes so it was nice to watch the newer items as they went off. Great little show and only my second hand fired show.. get spoilt with all the larger Fireone and Firelite shows. A 4? shell decided not to leave the mortar during the show hence a nice flower pot which left my ears ringing for a day or so.

4th / 5th November
Liverpool

Now, this was a nice show, the council had laid on a fireworks spectacular for the people of Liverpool with no entry charge to any of the sights and I expect that we will see more of this from other councils in the future. I think they tend to work on the principle that if they put on a free show, people will come to that rather than having there own bonfires and there will be less calls through to the emergency services?. And it seemed to work.

There were two parks used and two barges (seem to like putting me in the middle of the water, I think they recon I can do less harm out there). There was to be 2 shows at one of the parks, a matinee show for the younger kids was fired around 6pm with the main show being shot at 8pm from both parks and the two barges. The last crowd count I heard would have taken the head count across the 4 locations to over a 100 000? now that?s a nice little audience to shoot for.
We arrived on the Thursday and immediately rigged all the mortars on the two barges which went surprisingly quickly.. so quickly that the decision was made to complete the loading of one barge which would leave us one barge and two parks to load the following day. On the Friday, the 4 crews went off in different directions with a secondary crew helping to complete the second barge before moving on to assist at the other two locations.
Spent a few hours in the morning with a BBC crew who kept insisting on asking questions and shoving a camera in my face?. Would have been better if I had been forewarned that I was going to be interviewed.. plenty umm, aah.. umm..lol. Although listening to the guy doing his closing take made it sink in? over 2 tons of pyro, two days to rig and it would all be gone in 18 minutes.
Now, for the techy brigade out there, this show was done with Fireone and 3 firelite systems? controlled from the shore with time code being transmitted via two way radio to the fireone and firelite systems on the two barges.
I will end off there as Regimental Pyro can add his experiences as he had joined us to work on the crew for a few shows.
Overall a dam fine show.. just hate not being able to hear the music that it is being shot to and you don?t get much of a view sitting right under the show although we did have the benefit of watching the second barge which gave us an idea of what was happening over our heads.

6th Nov
College in London

Another great show shot with Firelite and to music, the duration was around 15 minutes. Large amounts of shells, mines, candles and cakes were used with a few of the lovely set pieces that a few of you saw us use at the Shugsborough show. Spent most of the day rigging in a fine drizzle that had descended over much of the country which kept me thinking about a comment the DTI inspector had made to me at home a few days earlier? ?Pyrotechnician ? Now that is a glamorous job?? yeh right.. water running down your neck and dripping off your nose, hands black with powder residue, cold.. Where is the glamour in that?
Show was okay.. note I only say okay. Music was great, pyro was great, but like many shows around the country we lost all the high level stuff in the fog that had descended over us. Great pity or it would have been another great show.. crowd loved it all the same.

That?s all for now, I know they are brief rundowns but hopefully it will kick a few others off to give us a run down of their shows and experiences.. especially those working on professional crews for the first time etc.
Stay safe.. have fun..
And let the show go on..

Mark

Edited by The_Djinn, 21 November 2004 - 07:10 PM.

KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

#51 milly

milly

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 08:42 AM

It's a great pleasure to know this informative web. i am a fireworks lover from China at the same time a member of international fireworks information web. there is some information about fireworks manufacturers there, and some information about display here. i am not good at using this forum, if there is something wrong hope you can forgive me.
Best regards!
milly

http://www.fireworks...asp?TID=17&PN=1

#52 Phoenix

Phoenix

UKR Forum Ex Regular!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 05:44 PM

I put on a small display for my family on Sunday the 7th of November. I'll be doing a bigger one for friends too for my birthday in the spring (profile readers will know my birthday is in December, but I prefer to wait till it's a bit warmer and drier to put on a display).

The bonfire night display consisted of:

2 x 20mm Fe and Al fountains
2 x 15mm Roman candle batteries
1 x 15mm reversing saxon
1 x 50mm glitter mine
1 x 70mm tiger tail shell
1 x 4" dummie shell

Not a huge lot of pyro, but it actually all worked very well, so I was very pleased with the display, and the results of the 4" dummie were, as I have said before, pretty encouraging.

#53 BurlHorse

BurlHorse

Burlhorse

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 08:39 PM

Sounds excelent - I hope to get to a show sometime... need to pass my driving test :-)?  Would love to have been there filming - it sound like you guys put on a fantastic display.?

I've always wondered, assuming you e-match everything (nessicairy for a musical show?), where do the matches sit in the shell leaders? surely you want as little physical delay in the piped matches to get that millisecond precision...
then again, you don't want to be sitting there with a 10" shell on your lap, cutting the quickmatch right next to the lift pouch, and inserting a friction sensetive (is that right :rolleyes: ) e-match......

View Post

If you remember the pictures I posted, You'll see Scissors and a Splicing Knife on my Belt, Well, Depending on the device, Is where you put the E-Match, as Mark said, it's all a matter of timing, some "Loosely" choreagraphed shows, The Operators simply Put the Match Just inside the end of the Leader of the shell and Tape it. Since the ignition occurs inside the pipe, it's only milliseconds before the match hit's the lift. If it is a long show, those milleseconds will add up and throw the timing off, especially Computer Cued Firing, So I prefer to Slit the Lift Bag and Match it Right at the shell.

If it's salutes, Finales or chains especially, and If your Using 10 Foot Ematches, So They will Reach the Bottom of the Mortar, then I always slit the Lift bag and Gently insert the Business end of the E-Match in the Lift Bag and A Spot of Masking Tape and you just lower the shell in the gun. I might add that Most E-Matches Come with the Not Business End, The wire ends, are twisted and capped, DaveyFire E-Matches etc come that way. If you decide to try making your own Ematches, Always Twist Those Bare Copper ends together to short them out, until your work is done and you or the Lead shooter start Connecting things, E-Matches are notoriously sensitive, especially to static and shock, They are usually equipped with a thin cup like cap over the match itself. this serves two purposes, obviously it protects the end of the match but it also directs the flame spit towards it's intended target. As to the shock sensitivity, should you want to see for your self, slide that cap back to expose the Match, AWAY FROM ANYTHING ACTIVE, and grasp the wire about a 2 feet foot back, a gentle swing with the elbow as the pivot, whack it on a curb, you'll respect them from there on out, so that being said, do not remove that cap when Inserting it in the piped match or device you are wiring up, it protects the tip from friction while your doing your thing.

As I Side Note to The Ten Inch in your Lap, It really would make no difference where the ematch was in the leader if it was accidently energized, just too fast...... :mellow:

Regards,

Stay Green,

Bear

Edited by BurlHorse, 22 November 2004 - 08:51 PM.

There are old pyros, and there are bold pyros, but there are not very many old, bold pyros....

Check Out My E-Bay Auctions !!

#54 PyroKid

PyroKid

PyroKid

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 05:24 PM

Date - 28th May 2005

Time - 10:00PM

Location - Caer Beris Manor Hotel (Builth Wells)

Event - Wedding

Firing For - Phenomenal Fireworks

I left Swansea train station at approximately 1:30 PM, arriving at Cilmery Train Station at aproximately 3:30 PM 2 hours later, where a car that had been aranged to pick me up from the train station was awaiting my arival.

Upon ariving at the hotel and having checked in, it was time for a cup of tea and a chill-out whilst awaiting the arival of the rest of the crew.

Due to the fact that the display was a surprise put on for the guests, it was important to stay quiet about the fact that a firework display was going on.

The other two members of the display team arrived at approximately 7:45 PM.

Having informed the reception of their arival and having been informed of the area in which the display was to be put on, we made our way down to the lower garden which was to be our display site.

The first job was to come up with an appropriate layout taking into consideration the hazardous nature of the setting (uneven ground and trees posing a risk of obstruction).

The material featuring in the display was a V shape consisting of red and brocade candles layed out in a V formation, a variety of display cakes, a fanned cake and a fanned lift of 2 1/2 inch shells as a finale.

The setup took aproximately 1 hour, leaving us plenty of time in order to make sure everything was as it was supposed to be and that everyone knew what they were doing.

Due to the nature of the display site, the viewing area was above the display site, so it was necessary to fence off a suitable area surrounding the display site as well as fencing off the stairways and paths leading to the lower garden in order to prevent people from entering the display site.

Come firing time, the display organiser signaled the start of the display by flashing a large tourch in order to signal that all guessts were ready in order for the display to commence.

Everyone attending the display seemed to enjoy, including a local scout group who were camping in a nearby field, which ended with a kiss from the bride and a shake of the hand with the groom, who then invited us in for a drink.

A few buisness cards were handed out, and all in all a great show was had by all.
Who said there wasnt fireworks between us?

#55 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 05:36 PM

As the display season is really starting to kick off, post any news of forth comming shows in the various parts of the country.

http://trafalgar200....tumnevents.html
look under the "Son et Lumiere" link
28th June

Believe you me, this is one that is worth taking a trip for.

Mark
KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

#56 PyroKid

PyroKid

PyroKid

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 01:58 PM

Hey guys!

This message goes out to all forum members within the Cornwall area, and specifically in or around the Penzance area over the Golowan festival period over the dates of 18th - 26th June 2005.

On the night of Friday 24th June at approximately 11.20 PM, Midsomer Fire takes place - A spectacular fireworks display which will be fired by Fantastic Fireworks at the Jubilee Pool, Penzance.

Show details are as follows:-

Budget - ?4000

Electronicaly fired

Hard Site

Crew of 4-5 techniciens

Max Shell - 5"

Watch this Space - Full review featuring soon!
Who said there wasnt fireworks between us?

#57 RegimentalPyro

RegimentalPyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:43 AM

http://trafalgar200....tumnevents.html
look under the "Son et Lumiere" link
28th June

Believe you me, this is one that is worth taking a trip for.

Mark

View Post

This week the Midweek radio programme [Radio4 - Wednesday 9AM] is doing a piece on this display.

From the BBC website....."Darryl Fleming is Display Director for Kimbolton Fireworks in Cambridgeshire. He is organising a dramatic fireworks display which will take place on the River Solent on 28 June, when Tall Ships will be staging a re-enactment of the Battle of Trafalgar."

The website is here - You can listen to the programme as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...l/midweek.shtml

EDIT: The fireworks piece is in the first 15 minutes of the programme. Very interesting piece, and well worth a listen.

Edited by RegimentalPyro, 15 June 2005 - 08:15 AM.

#58 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:20 AM

Yeah I tuned in, quite informative. I really should try and get down there.

#59 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 09:40 PM

Well,
for those that managed to watch the show live in Portsmouth I bet you were not diasapointed. To everyone who tuned in on Sky / ITC / BBC / CNN and various other networks and web links around the world I hope you enjoyed what has to have been one of the biggest shows on this little island for a long while.
I did grab a few words with BigG pre show and Richard had a brief interlude of live sound feed mid show. Definately an evening of "drum & base" sitting out there on the water.
Anyone who missed it, http://news.bbc.co.u.../uk/4627453.stm
there is a link to the entire show on the page.
The feed back has been great, I have had calls from Australia, Canada, South Africa and various parts of the UK from friends and relatives saying how spectacular the show was.
I aint going to do a write up as I am knackered, click the link and see the show for yourself as a description would not do it justice.

Mark
KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

#60 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 11:17 PM

Was cool talking with you during the show, get any pics of setup?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users