128 replies to this topic

#91 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 01:33 PM

I'm actually note sure what is happening with Cube- I think they are now part of Brothers, possibly bought out?

although, it is still on their website, RRP£200.

Edited by David, 06 November 2007 - 01:36 PM.

OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#92 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:17 PM

I got a "superstar" TNT Selection box, just for a bit of fun of an evening, and I must say- yeah, it was fun! 23 fireworks, including 9 (deliberatly) Titchy Fountains fountains- Actually great fun. Ok, they arn't good enough for any size crowd, but for a bit of back garden fun, they are ace. Click on the underlined words for some footage- Each word is a different video.

Also got a couple of pop rockets, a couple of Roman candles and 10 back garden sized fountains- nothing "wow" but all good fun to light, and harmless ( ie quiet ) enough not to irritate neighbours.

Edited by David, 30 December 2007 - 11:17 PM.

#93 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:49 AM

A good you tube video- Bright Star box

#94 redcone

redcone

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:40 PM

Very nice.

I'm always impressed with how they make that rich green colour.
Oh for Barium Chlorate I guess!

Simon.

#95 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:51 AM

I bought a few selection boxes over the summer. In fact, about 20. Just for the fun of lighting something- I also found that they were a useful way to keep children entertained when babysitting.

Even in the smallest selection boxes we are starting to see a few different effects. The typical Chinese "chuck out fo gold flitter" is still popular, but there also are some microstars, some decent flares etc on some. And of course the ever present crackles.

For sure, the old British selection boxes certainly were better, but hey- these Chinese ones are cheap fun.

#96 pyroduck7

pyroduck7

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 04:25 PM

id prefer to make a few 3" shells, its abbout the same price to make 3-5 3" shells as it is to buy like 3 or 4 crappy fouantains.

but, then aggain sometimes its nice to see someone elses work.

theres a all year round supplyer near me its in norwitch but its in a toy store (called langleys) and its always been good for me. i know im going to have a artellery of fireworks for bonfire night its also my cousins birthday and im shure he wants some big 3" shells!

#97 Cosmic-16

Cosmic-16

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:47 PM

found cosmic to be a good brand other the last few years. The saturn and mars selection boxes are very good, proboly be getting these again this year.

#98 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:58 PM

We have a Brothers 'Companion' Selection box as part of our Bonfire Night stash this year, so thought I would take a few pictures and post them to show whats inside.

According to EpicFireworks.com the RRP is £59.99 per box. They are doing a buy one get 2 free deal, buy one at the RRP price, get 2 free...

Clicky

Or buy it in this pack for £39.99 incl VAT with 4 packs of rockets, we did...

Clicky

So onto the pics...

Posted Image

Complete with carry handle!

Posted Image

Inside.

Posted Image

A barrage of coloured comets and whistles 'Desire'.

Posted Image

Posted Image

A fan barrage 'Glamorous'.

Posted Image

2 fountains.

Posted Image

The other 4 fountains.

Posted Image

3, of what look like 15 shot cakes, a good weight anyway.

Posted Image

And you also get 4 Brothers keyrings in the box!

Posted Image

And a video of the box on Youtube, courtesy of Epic Fireworks.

It looks pretty decent stuff to me. :)

Thanks.

Edited by Prestonboi, 14 October 2008 - 09:02 PM.

#99 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:17 PM

Its a decent selection box- better than a selection box, really, more like a barrage pack!

The fountains are pretty enough- typical sparks, crackles, colour, flitter etc and whistles.

The cakes are good quality small cakes- a range of bursts, colour, stars etc too. the fanned one is comet effects- the same effect as used in Brothers "FanTastic".

Decent value at £40, including the rockets too! It is certainly much much better than any of the stuff s*permar*ets will be sell at that price.

Edited by David, 14 October 2008 - 09:23 PM.

#100 jindivik

jindivik

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:45 PM

i think i'm taking a trip to epic this weekend if my money comes through.....

penny for the guy looks quite tempting, i don't have a very big budget but this should leave me enough "change" to get a few cakes....etc

i was thinking of buying the "Professional Rocket Box 2", but i checked the individual prices of each item listed in the picture...and the individual prices with VAT £55.59 .... but the pricetag for the whole lot in the "professional rocket box" is £73.38 ..... are there some items not included in the picture?

#101 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:56 PM

i think i'm taking a trip to epic this weekend if my money comes through.....

penny for the guy looks quite tempting, i don't have a very big budget but this should leave me enough "change" to get a few cakes....etc

Thats exactly what we did.

Penny For The Guy +

Predator 500
Brothers Choice Imperial
Fragma
Heavy Duty
King Cobra
Thunder King
Humming Hornets

And a pack of Tomahawk Rockets. All for £137. :)

Thats our stash for Bonfire night but still want to pick up a few small bits from Seasonal Shops. And not sure about the rocket box, I was tempted to get one of them, but decided on more cakes and 1 pack of big rockets instead.

Edited by Prestonboi, 14 October 2008 - 09:58 PM.

#102 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:01 PM

i was thinking of buying the "Professional Rocket Box 2", but i checked the individual prices of each item listed in the picture...and the individual prices with VAT £55.59 .... but the pricetag for the whole lot in the "professional rocket box" is £73.38 ..... are there some items not included in the picture?

You appear to be correct! Quite a difference, too. I guess to balance it the higher price for the pack might be because delivery of packs is free (they don't deliver single items,) or if you call in to buy packs you can claim a free gift.

Or rather- whilst single items may work out cheaper, these can't be delivered.

But yeah- the moral here is don't always assume that a package is cheaper than buying individually (the classic example being when you book a holiday) .

Edited by David, 14 October 2008 - 10:06 PM.

#103 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:11 PM

The Men Shun Ammo box is also the same price.

You get 3 of the rocket packs in the Rocket Box 2 with the Penny For The Guy pack!

#104 jindivik

jindivik

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:11 PM

Thats exactly what we did.

Penny For The Guy +

Predator 500
Brothers Choice Imperial
Fragma
Heavy Duty
King Cobra
Thunder King
Humming Hornets

And a pack of Tomahawk Rockets. All for £137. :)

Thats our stash for Bonfire night but still want to pick up a few small bits from Seasonal Shops. And not sure about the rocket box, I was tempted to get one of them, but decided on more cakes and 1 pack of big rockets instead.

that sounds like a lot of fun!

looking back at your stash pics from last year, i think i spy a couple of "mega" rocket packs from epic. How did these perform money wise? i think the penny for the guy and mega rocket pack should cover me well for rockets and i can spend my money on some lovely cakes. Think i might buy the firepack from aldi again too, just so i can fire a couple of quet ones every night in the run up to bonfire night :)

#105 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:31 PM

that sounds like a lot of fun!

looking back at your stash pics from last year, i think i spy a couple of "mega" rocket packs from epic. How did these perform money wise? i think the penny for the guy and mega rocket pack should cover me well for rockets and i can spend my money on some lovely cakes. Think i might buy the firepack from aldi again too, just so i can fire a couple of quet ones every night in the run up to bonfire night :)

Yeah we had 2 packs of Mega Rockets free last year, one with the £99 pack and another with a £35 selection box. From what I remember the 2 bottom rows of rockets in the pack (smaller ones) were pretty good, but the top row of biggest ones were pretty poor in comparison.

But you still get a lot of rockets for £13. I think the packaging has changed on them this year though, from looking at pictures all the rockets now have Orange tops, they didn't last year so not sure if the stuff inside them has changed.

Hope that helps anyway, they have a huge choice of rockets at Epic, I only decided on the day to get the Tomahawks, let us know how you get on. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users