1235 replies to this topic

#301 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:39 PM

Yes, chilean potash is Sodium nitrate usually. It does specifically mention it providing potassium though. I think it may be a mixture of Sodium and Potassium Nitrates.

#302 jcow

jcow

master of disturbing neighbours

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 11:28 PM

ah, thanks

so it is probably better to go for the nitrate of soda (sodium nitrate) becuase it is purer the the chilean nitrate?
suppose it is so cheap you cant go wrong.

is NaNO3 a useful oxidiser, or is it better to go for the KNO3? i assume it is slower than KNO3 becuase NA is less reactive than K.

#303 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 12:07 AM

I'm afraid it doesn't quite work like that. I would say all the nitrates are more or less equally powerful oxidants. Generally though, NaNO3 is less useful than KNO3 due to its hygroscopicity. NaNO3 however was used in B type blasting powders because it was cheaper.

NaNO3 is still the oxidant of choice in military illuminant work, but these articles are manufactured to operate in harsh environments and will be sealed from moisture in the air.

#304 lord_dranack

lord_dranack

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 12:17 AM

It does say chilean nitrate of potash, as a pose to soda, or plain chilean nitrate which are definatly sodium.
Could it perhaps be an impure form of potassium nitrate?

#305 EnigmaticBiker

EnigmaticBiker

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 10:27 AM

It does say chilean nitrate of potash, as a pose to soda, or plain chilean nitrate which are definatly sodium.
Could it perhaps be an impure form of potassium nitrate?

I'll second that.

If it is specifically named as Chilean nitrate of potash I would expect it to be a mixture of both sodium and mostly potassium nitrates. This is the "organic" form hence the difference in name, it will probably contain small amounts of the minerals from the rocks it was mined from.

Chile Saltpetre (or Nitratine) was the old name for sodium nitrate.

#306 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:13 PM

anyone have a source for sodium salicayte?

i've searched the forums for ideas, but what comes up (in this thread) is "check your pms".

so i know some people know.

pm me if you are kind and know.

thanks

#307 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:57 PM

I know where to get it, search google. Or look in yellow pages and find chemical suppliers, it has other uses other that pyro.

#308 Jerronimo

Jerronimo

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 08:17 PM

Did you mean sodium silicate?
sodium silicate or Na2SiO3 is normally sold under the name water glass and should be easy to get.

Edited by Jerronimo, 17 March 2006 - 08:18 PM.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

#309 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 08:43 PM

Sodium Salicylate is commonly used as a fuel in whistle compositions, whistle made with sodium salicylate has more power than the original made with a benzoate.

Sodium Salicylate can be bought from skylighter, no shipping restrictions. But you can probobly get it somewhere closer to you, it is used as a food preservative and a raw material for preparing antiseptics if i remember correctly.

#310 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 09:01 PM

Did you mean sodium silicate?
sodium silicate or Na2SiO3 is normally sold under the name water glass and should be easy to get.

no i don't mean water glass, i mean the stuff used in whistle.

#311 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 11:24 PM

Not sure where you can get sodium salicilate, but I do know a source of potassium benzoate if you are looking for whistle chems - pm me.

Doh my mistake (it was some time ago I used them) it was sodium benzoate, not potassium benzoate... anyway, still good for whistles. I have PMed those who asked...

Edited by phildunford, 21 March 2006 - 09:59 PM.

Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#312 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 10:32 PM

Often times they sell waterglass at ceramic suppliers. I know there are at least a few ceramic chemical suppliers in the UK, perhaps call them up. I think it is used to give a glossy coat to the outside.

#313 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 06:33 PM

I found a polish supplier, which WILL ship most things to the uk except visco.

http://www.keten.org.pl/

most of the site is in polish, but i could understand alot of it. 5 zl = ?1 approximately.

shipping is very high for small amounts, but better for big lots.

0-2kg 100zl 18,50GBP
3-5kg 131zl 24,20GBP
6-10kg 140zl 26 GBP
11-15kg 150zl 27,7 GBP
16-20kg 160zl 29,6 GBP
21-30kg 170zl 31,50 GBP
31-40kg 215zl 40 GBP
41-50kg 220zl 41,6 GBP

#314 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 06:55 PM

I found a polish supplier, which WILL ship most things to the uk except visco.

Well found Fishy! ...... I feel an order coming on since they have AP :P :P :P. Shame they're out of magnesium, and perhaps a little worrying to see that they're selling pentaerythrit*l amongst oher pyro stuff :huh:. Does anyone know how reliable these guys are please?

Edited by pyrotrev, 29 March 2006 - 07:02 PM.

Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#315 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 07:59 PM

Well found Fishy! ...... I feel an order coming on since they have AP :P :P :P. Shame they're out of magnesium, and perhaps a little worrying to see that they're selling pentaerythrit*l amongst oher pyro stuff :huh:. Does anyone know how reliable these guys are please?

i've been reading on them in other forums, and they are reliable and recommened. extremely good communicating appartently. if anyone's interested in buying together to cut the postage down.....

EDIT: they sell 70% perchloric acid. :o

Edited by fishy1, 29 March 2006 - 08:10 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users