1569 replies to this topic

#436 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 06:56 PM

i think i will let you do that one, thanks!! i have my design on paper now so all i need is to stock some more chems! money! oh well its a good cause! :D

#437 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 03:49 AM

It is, but people keep telling me that 10kg of Zn powder is exessive! Well some people, they are so simple minded. :D
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

#438 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 10:59 AM

anyone used benzolift for shell lifting? i am planing on using it but have never tried it, heard its bit to powerful from some people. just finnised making 10 4inch paper hemis and spoolettes for them. with the help of pyrotools i am getting a delay time sorted

k

#439 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 03:56 PM

just made the 4inch blue/silver palm shell with blue-silver tail. i will post a picture of it when i can! wont set it off for a while....drying time! i decided to use benzolift in the end. i have finished my mortar racks, if anyone wants any racks building then give me a shout. 5x 3in, 4x 4in, 4x 5in. maybe 6's too!

karlPosted Image

Edited by karlfoxman, 21 July 2005 - 06:22 PM.

#440 Guest_PyromaniaMan_*

Guest_PyromaniaMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2005 - 06:19 PM

I thought you said i could help you build that :( Oh well. can I be there when you set it off?

#441 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 06:24 PM

i will build more, i just did a test with benzolift and wow its good! just hope it wont blow my motar apart...30g for lift in that shell.

#442 LadyKate

LadyKate

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 01:36 PM

i will build more, i just did a test with benzolift and wow its good! just hope it wont blow my motar apart...30g for lift in that shell.

View Post

I'm just testing my first batch of benzolift. It is certainly powerful.

I used more water than necessary when making it - I felt much more comfortable with a slurry that was almost impossible to ignite (tested that - had to hold the flame on until it dried out) - homogenization was easier, too. I dried it in two stages - one to get it to screening or clay-like consistency and then one for the resultant screenings.

Has anyone experiemented with cutting it with even more meal so it isn't quite as hot? If used for lift, the amounts are so small that a dropped grain or two would make a difference.

#443 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 06:27 PM

I plan on doing more tests using benzolift, i have used it to shoot a small (25mm) bombette and it made the poor thing go really high. When i complete more tests i will post the results.

k

#444 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 08:29 PM

Bit quiet at the moment, been thinking of new ideas for shells. Seeing as i can now make good whistle has anyone ever added stars/effects to the lift of a shell? I'm thinking of making a 4inch shell with 5 whistle inserts in the lift, a whistle spoolette and silver peony with 6 whistle inserts. Does it sound a good idea guys and gals? Or too much noise? :ph34r:

#445 ProfHawking

ProfHawking

3... 2... 1... Umm

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 10:30 PM

I dont know how they would work actually used in the liftbag, but attaching a whistle to the shell itself, like you might a comet, i think would make a great effect. Boom Whistle Bang!
anyone tried this?

#446 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 06:41 AM

I have seen shells on videos that looked like whistle inserts were in the lift bag, i cant see what would stop it from working in my mind. They would be small, about 5mm ID by
30mm long. I imagine i could make a second spoolette with whistle inside and just block the end off. Just deciding on whistles or tourbillions for the shell.

#447 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 10:10 AM

Once, I added an lift-effect to a 3" shell and it kind of whistled, too... :D

http://www.kkpaul.rp..._mischstern.mpg

Sorry, if that was an non-productive post :)

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#448 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 06:05 PM

That shell was great, what stars were those? Two of them looked like they had flash cores? I like the tone of the whistle as the shell spun, very nice! looks like i better get on with a plan for it. :D

#449 Jerronimo

Jerronimo

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 05:48 PM

Lol, it sounded like a whistling bird :D
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

#450 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 09:06 PM

Agh, i've run out of potassium perc! :( Have to wait till next pay day before i see anymore! All the lift whistle inserts are made and filled, just drying out before i prime them with blackmatch and slurry. I decided to put tourbillions inside the shell, would make a change from the whistle............Will keep you all posted. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users