1569 replies to this topic

#451 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 07:40 AM

The stars were SilverStreamer. (Shimizu GoldenWave N?3)

The lift-effect was a 25mm no-antimony white glitter with Ti substituted with Al...

No, I did not use flash cores. But the stars were primed heavily, so a few of them lighted too late.

greets,

paul

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#452 LadyKate

LadyKate

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 08:17 PM

I plan on doing more tests using benzolift, i have used it to shoot a small (25mm) bombette and it made the poor thing go really high. When i complete more tests i will post the results.

k

View Post

I just made my second batch and it is much less powerful than the first. The basic formula was followed in both instances but there were some differences:

Batch 1: Potassium Benzoate, Perc, BP Dust after compressing to 1.7gr/cc.

Batch 2: Sodium Benzoate, Perc, Charcoal, Sodium Nitrate, Sulphur (75/15/10) all mixed at the same time (Perc last after wetting).

Batch number 1 required 3 grams to send my dummy 1.75" mortar shell up. This is much more powerful than 2Fg.

Batch number 2 required 5 grams to send my dummy 1.75" mortar shell up. This is about what 2Fg powder would do (not quite).

While this is unscientific, it does show that Benzolift can have quite a bit of variability. This seems to contradict the idea that you can just throw the ingredients together and get about the same quality of Benzolift each time.

My conclusion (it ain't earth shaking) is that to get repeatable results, one should carefully pick a formula and methodology and stick to it. I think just mixing in the ingredients for green mix works but does not produce as vigorous a lift powder as using properly prepared BP

Edited by LadyKate, 29 July 2005 - 12:20 PM.

#453 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 06:34 AM

Thanks that is very helpful, i have been using sodium benzoate for my benzolift. I have read somewhere that potassium benzoate is slightly quicker than sodium benzoate. My tests are on hold as i have very very little perc left now!! :( Anyone use grass seeds as carrier for burst charges??

Karl

#454 LadyKate

LadyKate

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 08:38 PM

Thanks that is very helpful, i have been using sodium benzoate for my benzolift. I have read somewhere that potassium benzoate is slightly quicker than sodium benzoate. My tests are on hold as i have very very little perc left now!!  :(  Anyone use grass seeds as carrier for burst charges??

Karl

View Post

Could the difference between the Potassium and Sodium Benzoates merely be the Sodium version's tendancy to draw moisture? I couldn't tell much difference between the two when all other variables were equal.

I haven't used grass seed - would be interested in finding out how well it works. I have used Rice Krispies (a puffed rice product) and that works fine - although the flakes are big (not a drawback if you are filling space).

I just received some empty plastic 2" cylinders so I'm ready to experiment. The first thing I noticed is that it holds a lot more than the round shell does! A lift enhancement that seems really easy (haven't tried it) is to use some Falling Leaves fuse for the delay fuse. I'll try it first - it's cheap!

#455 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 10:00 AM

Today i will make a 2" cylidrical shell with willow bp on grass seeds. i will put just two of my gold tourbillions and one small bp banger inside. With my mob i will photograph the parts and the finished shell. More to follow as i only just started it......

So sodium benzoate is gives almost the same performance as potassium benzoate, thats good then as i can get loads and loads of sodium benzoate!!!!

Edited by karlfoxman, 30 July 2005 - 11:30 AM.

#456 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 11:34 AM

Well here it is, the two blue tubes are the tourbillions filled and primed.
Posted Image
This is the bursting charge willow bp on grass seeds, with casing and spoolette glued to disks.
Posted Image
Finished shell ready for quickmatch leader, lift charge and label.
Posted Image

Karl

#457 ProfHawking

ProfHawking

3... 2... 1... Umm

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 01:05 PM

Looks very nice!
how much does it weigh?

video is always a treat, you got a camera?

#458 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 04:51 PM

I dont have a camera, i will try to borrow one if i can. I think i will wait a while before setting it off. I need to get some 2" mortars ya see. Its weight is 89g on its own.

Posted Image

Spoolette end drying, string around the spoolette to stop flowerpot. This idea was from a vulcan shell on passfire

Edited by karlfoxman, 31 July 2005 - 06:47 AM.

#459 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 08:52 PM

Wow i am happy, my burst worked great!!!! I didnt fire it out a mortar, i had it on a electric igniter 40 feet away on the ground......all the tourbillions lit and the burst was strong. it used my first batch of un milled bp on grass seeds. Very pleased. Next one will have hummers inside and maybe pill box stars. :D

Edited by karlfoxman, 02 August 2005 - 08:53 PM.

#460 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 08:18 PM

GUYS!!!! I need help, how much lift is ok for a 5 inch spherical shell? passfire says 113g! is that too much? oh and its home made powdered bp 75/15/10 kno3/c/s using willow charcoal.

Edited by karlfoxman, 06 August 2005 - 08:21 PM.

#461 italteen3

italteen3

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 08:27 PM

Use the 1/16 rule. 1/16 of the shell's weight you use as lift, roughly. There are a lot of different factors that can determine how much lift to use. How does your BP compare to commercial, how high do you want your shell to go, etc.

#462 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 09:16 PM

I have gone for 40g, my bp is fairly good for lifting. I will go for 40g as my 4" use 25g. Thanks for you help. I have a few pictures to upload, the shell is looking good!

#463 LadyKate

LadyKate

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 09:33 PM

I have gone for 40g, my bp is fairly good for lifting. I will go for 40g as my 4" use 25g. Thanks for you help. I have a few pictures to upload, the shell is looking good!

View Post

You might want to launch a test shell before you launch your live one. I always send a few tests up when I move to a new size or configuration. Fill a dummy shell with flour or dog food and see if 40g is enough. With a test shell, you can launch it in the daylight, and if luck is with you, the shell will survive to test again.

#464 UncleBuck

UncleBuck

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 04:59 AM

I had the same problem. But I tried useing paper hemis from china and not plastic.
I solved the problem by makeing my own paper-hemi press. Made out of fine cement and a wooden plugg to press out the paper into a spherical shape.

View Post

What did you use to make the semi-circle impression in the cement?

Also what is the largest mold you have made? I was thinking of making a 6 inch mold but was told the larger paper shells are very hard to make.

#465 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 02:44 PM

Here is some pictures of my latest shell, its a 5 inch spherical shell with 2 3.8 second spoolettes...its called BLUE SPLITTING STARS W/ GOLD PISTIL

Hemis with spoolettes
Posted Image
Looking at spoolettes
Posted Image
Lift cone with tissue bag of 40g powdered willow bp
Posted Image
Empty splitting star cases sitting inside shell hemi (20 of them)
Posted Image
Looking good so far
Posted Image

Karl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users