1569 replies to this topic

#91 sasman

sasman

Sasman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 02:04 PM

Great! Paul what formula did you use is that a flitter ? Star very nice effect and good height pitty they didnt all ignite :( ...Please post any more vids you may have....

#92 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 04:27 PM

Thanks, too :) Through the height (50g of Lift was way to much...) it seems to be glitter, but it is a silvershower composition!

Yes, more videos will follow, but round shells are always a lot of work... But I?m working on a new one right now and this time i dried the stars long enough. The effect will be half willowstars half silvershower as in my video above.

I only have three more videos right now.

One 90mm italian shell, which did not fly high enough :P[Video]

And a testvideo for my willowstars [Video]

Heres an older video. Posted this before, I think [Video]

Edited by paul, 20 September 2004 - 04:38 PM.

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#93 Yugen-biki

Yugen-biki

Pyro is forever

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 04:45 PM

Very nice shells everyone!

To bad my camera doesn't record very good videos. :glare:

Maby I'll be abel to get some good movies this year. :lol:

#94 Guest_Daniel Scott_*

Guest_Daniel Scott_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2004 - 11:42 PM

The only shells I have made up are another tiger tail to D1 and a straight tiger tail. I think I will do them tonight when my sister comes over to visit.

I have a confession to make :unsure: Those reds arn't mine. I have no time fuse things in Australia so I pulled apart 3 red dragon roman candles for the thick visco they had in them. I didn't want to waste the stars in a mine or anything because ring stars have to be solid colour most of the time. So very sorry, I feel bad now :( But It was a nice shell :P

I am going to roll up this 1.5kg of Fish Gold Glitter today and hopefully make some more blackmatch. If time permits I will mill a few kg of granite stars as they are so awsome. I don't know what colour changes to do anymore :(

Perhaps granite to tiger tail or tiger tail to granite? There was one I was thinking that would be cool. Having a long lasting silver tail or gold tail and then rolling that to say 3mm, then 3mm of tiger tail, then 3mm of silver/gold ect. It would be like dots and dashes in the sky! Maybe something to try later :glare:

#95 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 10:57 AM

Do you notice much difference between Fish and D1 glitter?

I haven't had much luck getting Williams glitter to work, or any of the other glitters that use iron oxide and no delay agent.

#96 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 01:43 PM

D1 glitter works great! I just made 12 20mm cylindrical stars today out of D1. I just use normal very cheap 50?m Al (20? per Kg).

But I didn?t have much success with other glitters, too...

And tomorrow I?m going to shoot my next 3" shell with many many stars in it :)

Edited by paul, 21 September 2004 - 01:44 PM.

My flickr photo album

#97 Guest_Daniel Scott_*

Guest_Daniel Scott_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2004 - 02:27 AM

I think I overwetted my D1 glitters as they didn't seem to glitter when I made them around 10mm. These were my first hand rolled stars after I got Round Stars & Shells. My fish glitter are drying right now. I am rather peeved at myself with them though. My ball mill milled it so fine it clumped and so when I was sifting out the media there was lumps so I broke them up through my screen (17 mesh window screen) There was these little granules of comp but they broke up into a fine powder so I knew my powder was fine. When I was adding the comp to the cores these little bits didn't pick up. So I ended up with a heap of coreless stars that formed. So now 1/2 hour and 1.6kg of comp later my stars look very ugly because of uniformity so I will have to hand pic stars to prime ect. Bugger :P But I will get a pic or movie if it in a shell or mine, probably a mine first for you.

Last night when I let off my first shell which was a tiger tail to D1 glitter (I have about 2kg of these stars left so I may aswell use them!) I used 12g of lift and it still went a bit high. Now I have been using pine charcoal in my BP until of I got a hold of some willow logs (thanks, you know who you are) and started making willow BP. Well I used to use 20g of pine lift it get them up not even as high as my 12g shell! I actually used 17g of lift the first time I used willow = I thought my HDPE mortar was gone. So last night I decided to go even further down from 12g to 9g! It was a perfect launch. Not much muzzle flash and it was a lot quieter and overall it was a good height. So moral of the story willow BP is the whooping and that be careful and experiment when useing a new lift charge for your shells.

#98 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 05:18 AM

I use CIA-Method blackpowder (30g for a 3") made with pine charcoal...
In my first video in this thread I used 50g :P Flew a bit too high.

Yes, to overwet the glitter is a big problem. I got best results with 0,4g 25% Alcohol on every 15g of mix. But if you use this little alcohol, you have to press these stars. But then they work quite nice.

Today I?m gonna fire my next 3" if raining stops for a moment :)

I made two pix of my new 3" shell pasted:

http://kkpaul.rpgame...ischstern_1.jpg
http://kkpaul.rpgame...ischstern_2.jpg

They?re made of plastic halves (The smaller are 70mm the bigger are 140mm OD)

http://freepgs.com/kkpaul/P1010046.JPG

Glued together with cyanoacrylate glue... Then pasted with 4 layers of kraft paper. The comet is a 20mm glitter/silverstar mix comet.

Unfortunately we can?t shoot them this evening :)

Edited by paul, 22 September 2004 - 01:52 PM.

My flickr photo album

#99 Jerronimo

Jerronimo

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 03:56 PM

Well I just finished work on three 4'' shells.
Here''s a picture:4'' shells(don't look at the date it's wrong).

The stars I use in these shells are pressed with a diameter of 18mm.

#1: crysatium 6 streamer
#2: modified crysatium 6 streamer
#3: silver

Breakcharge: 6:1 hulls and chloratewistle booster

Liftcharge: 40 grams riced BP

Delay: crys 6 fueled spolette (3 sec.)

I will fire them tonight if the weather holds up, hopefully I will get them succesfully on video :unsure: .
I will keep you updated
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

#100 Kembang Api

Kembang Api

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 05:01 PM

Hi Jerronimo,

Your 4" shell look very nice, can you share with me, how many layer of pasting paper do you use and paper quality?

Liftcharge: 40 grams riced BP

What do you mean by riced BP? what size (mesh) of granulation do you used.

Looking at the photos, I believed your lift charge's bag is a bit too high, you will get more power of lift if you would reduce the height of the bag. Reducing the height will give a lesser space in the mortar.

#101 Phoenix

Phoenix

UKR Forum Ex Regular!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 08:31 PM

I remember reading somewhere that having a gap under the shell (caused, for example, by a tall lift cup) does not actually cause much reduction in power, but does reduce the shock from the lift quite a bit. I have not personally tried this in practice, but it sounds like it should be correct: As I see it, reducing the available length for a shell to accelerate along a 60cm long mortar by 5cm will not cause a great loss in power. If that 5cm is placed under to shell (perhaps doubling the volume beneath it) then the initial pressure will be halved. This will obviously significantly reduce the kick the shell gets as the lift ignites, but that initial kick probably doesn't do all that much to move the shell, but does pyut quite a lot of stress on it. It is the less violent push along the length of the mortar that sends it skyward, and having a taller lift cup will not really affect that. Therefore you make the initial short, high shock stage gentler, at the loss of a little acceleration, but the bulk of the push along the mortar remains unaffected. That's how it seems to me anyway...

#102 Jerronimo

Jerronimo

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 09:14 PM

Mmm interesting theory Phoenix.

As for the pasting, those are plastic shells so I don't bother pasting them.

Riced bp is nothing more then bp with 5% dextrin added riced true a windowscreen,works great.

I fired the shells tonight, and I'm pretty disapointed.

The first shell launced perfect but the stars didn't ignite :angry:
The second and third both had a muzzlebreak, if anyone is interested I can post a vid of it.
Problem was poor spoletteconstruction, I realy need to get me some timefuse but still haven't found a suplier.

Edited by Jerronimo, 13 October 2004 - 06:12 PM.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

#103 sasman

sasman

Sasman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 12:15 AM

Hi Jerronimo

..Please post any videos of any of your shell failures and successes :)

#104 Jerronimo

Jerronimo

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 11:08 AM

Here it is nozzlebreak

#105 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 11:18 AM

Although its a flowerpot effect , it still looks great. If you search for timefuse try to contact a (hobby) theatre supplier. They have 10cm pieces of 2mm thick green visco. This stuff works great for timing in shells (1cm/sec.).

My flickr photo album

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users