1569 replies to this topic

#121 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 12:29 PM

The reason is quite simple. Its less effort while fusing the shell. This way I only need to put the liftcharge under it and fuse the liftcharge. -_-

#122 Yugen-biki

Yugen-biki

Pyro is forever

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 03:10 PM

Looks professional!

#123 sasman

sasman

Sasman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 03:54 PM

Very Nice Paul!! Looked pretty good to me :) ..Your Finshed shell also looks very professional...Your comets looked pretty big pasted to the Shell but didnt seem to burn for a long time?Must be very fast burning comet formula?...

I like those silver tailed stars what type Al did you use and what Formula? ..Have you got any more ready to Fire?...I'm getting ready with a fair few going thru lots of Chemicals at an alarming rate...

#124 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 04:24 PM

Thanks for all the advice :)

@ Sasman: I use normal 50? atomised Al. This is the cheapest kind of Al you can get here (20?/Kg)

The comet comp. normally doesn?t burn too fast, BUT the comet had a hole in it, so the surface was much bigger.... This explains the shortlived bruning.

#125 Guest_Daniel Scott_*

Guest_Daniel Scott_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2004 - 02:53 AM

Well I was bored yesterday so I made up 6 plastic 3" shells. I havn't glued them yet for some reason. I think I may try PVC glue for pipes instead of syrofoam in xylene - that just takes about a week for it to not be able to be scratched by a finger nail.

I have a straight fish glitter shell (just for you alany :P), half and half granite and tiger tail, two half and half fish glitter and tiger tail, straight granite, D1 to Tiger tail and fish glitter half and half.

So thats what I have lined up. I have a video of the fish glitter on my camera now for you alany but I will try and get it on the computer as soon as possible.

EDIT: Here is the video alany

http://www.infernola...fishglitter.avi

Edited by Daniel Scott, 23 October 2004 - 03:11 AM.

#126 Kembang Api

Kembang Api

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 12:19 AM

Creepin_pyro : I had been doing the same as Paul in terms of comet position, you mention that yours is on top of the shell? May I know how would you ignite the comet? I had seemed the Chinese 6 inches shell that install just as you did. I could not fine any fuse connected to it. Thanks

#127 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 10:31 AM

The lift charge of the shell ignites the comet. The inside of the mortar tube becomes a high pressure inferno which should light just about anything attached to the shell.

#128 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 01:25 PM

That had me baffled for a while too :P

Richard is right - all the lovely hot gasses will surround the shell, lighting anything attached anywhere on its surface.

#129 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 03:34 PM

Ah, thats really a thing to think about... Making comets without a hole in it is less work..... And as I went through my pictures of shell lifts I found this nice one. It really makes clear what Rhichard H meant with "inferno"

(Its a picture a friend took as we shot a 3" shell with 50g of CIA Blackpowder)

Posted Image

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#130 Kembang Api

Kembang Api

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 03:51 PM

Thanks Richard for the well explaination. Maybe i will try to put the comet on top my 3 inches shell. less work man!!

#131 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 08:52 PM

Ok, we shot another shell a week ago. Sorry, it was a cylindrical shell, but theres no own topic for cylindrical shells :) So I?ll post it in here.

It was planed as a shell, but something went wrong in the mortar, so it didn?t burst high in the sky but ignited in the mortar ):

But it?s a video so here it is. it was a 50mm tube pressed full of D1 glitter with a 8mm hole in it for the burst charge.

Video [Flowerpot glitter shell]

#132 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 04:05 AM

Very nice!

#133 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 07:58 PM

Good evening everybody!

We went out to the fields again :) This time we shot two 3" shells. Both made by a friend (the camera man :) )

All shells are filled with granulated CIA blackpowder as the breakcharge. The first shell is filled with red stars, the second with purple stars or something like that.

The lift was 35g/40g blackpowdercoated corn cob mix because we were out of CIA for lift..

And finally the last shell is a shell by me. 10g BaSO4/Mg flash and a few cutstars from which only ONE ignited :P The "rising-effect" was D1 glitter attached to the shell.

Here are the videos.

http://www.kkpaul.rp...bearbeitet1.mpg

http://www.kkpaul.rp...bearbeitet2.mpg

http://www.kkpaul.rp...bearbeitet3.mpg

Good night everybody, I?ll go out to see my girlfriend right now.

Cheers,

paul

Edited by paul, 27 October 2004 - 08:04 PM.

#134 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 04:14 AM

Wow
Looks very profesional

#135 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 09:32 AM

Great shell there......

Do you know what formulas the camera man used? I liked the red.

Never seen BaS04 flash before! Looks very bright :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users