• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#31 ultrabuf

ultrabuf

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 05:25 PM

I also use a car window motor for my star roller. There is no chance of dust getting in it, the motor is completely enclosed in a metal casing. I screwed a large protein powder container to the motor which is made of plastic, comp likes to stick to the sides a lot, so eventually I would like to move on to a bigger motor capable of turning a nice stainless steel drum. But for now this works ok.

#32 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:22 PM

Hey all. Just running an idea past people, but i've still got quite a few 12v motors like the ones i've used for my small ball mill and star rolling machine, so was considering making some units to sell...

Theyre on this page, under the ball mill (the small one) and under star roller (the silver drummed version)

http://www.freewebs....jectshidden.htm

Basically, would anybody be interested in a 12 volt ball mill or star roller built much the same as my units or I might even be able to design something that is a multi machine with interchangable front mounted parts for both jobs on the same motor. The machines almost definatly wont be quite as perfect looking as some of the ball mills avaliable, but in my opinion, mine is more suited to our use ie very heavy lead media rotation than most of the stuff avaliable thats really designed for stone polishing. I couldnt quote prices yet as i didnt price up the parts when I built mine, but I cant imagine them being as much as their equivalent sized commercially avaliable equivalents and as a bonus, ball mills would come complete with lead media, ready to use.

Best to email me rather than pm as my inbox is always full. lol.

Thanks, Phill

#33 icarus

icarus

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:11 PM

most washing machines use electronic speed control if you go for a tumble dryer the motor runs directly from mains with a door interlock switch and heater you can easily disconnect. Induction motors are easy to recognise as the motor has no brushes, no slip rings and no commutator the door can be removed if you join the wires together on the door switch . a large pulley can be made from 3 circles of plywood screwed together and bolted to original pulley put any old v belt (car fan belt ) on use a pulley of any diameter on a brass bolt pressing against belt to tension it
protodezine@gmail.com

#34 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 11:11 PM

yeah, your all going about this the wrong way what you need is some low tech! :lol:

Edited by chris m, 08 June 2008 - 11:14 PM.

#35 pudi.dk

pudi.dk

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 11:21 PM

yeah, your all going about this the wrong way what you need is some low tech! :lol:

That's cool, but I'll stick with my hamster-in-a-wheel star roller. :D

Edited by pudi.dk, 08 June 2008 - 11:21 PM.

Videos visit: http://www.pudi.dk

#36 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 05:39 PM

Haha, that is soo cool, I'm going to make one just like that, simple stuff really is the best :D

#37 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:23 PM

Maybe I'm just another lazy North American...but i think I'd much rather work with a motorized star roller.

#38 cooperman435

cooperman435

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:36 PM

Yeah! While it is a "simple design" when you think of it a roller will turn probably 1000's of times a session and especially when it gets later on in the process and theres some weight involved theres no chance a hand turned star roller is any where near as efficient as hand rolling the standard way.

#39 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:44 AM

Well it might not be the best design for star rolling, but for something as simple as priming small cut or pumped stars and coating rice hulls with BP, I think that it would be quite sufficient. It certainly is an improvement from a bucked and lid, but I agree, not suitable for rolling stars, your hand would probably fall off way before you were finished.

#40 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:18 AM

Some of you may laugh at the Low Tech star rolling drum on that Youtube video but that is Exactly how we made rolled stars at Wells Fireworks, but with a slightly larger bucket.

Earlier in this thread, someone mentioned that they found powder stuck to the sides of their plastic bucket. This is usually caused by using too much moisture. A very small spray with a plant sprayer is all that is needed until the powder is picked up on the cores or growing stars.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#41 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:45 PM

thats interesting, why was your rolling machine hand powered? for safety ? was it geared in some way? and how large were the batches of stars you where knocking out with it

#42 Jessbo

Jessbo

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:17 AM

So what size/speed of motor would be needed to turn a steel 12qt pot, like the one shown in "Star Rolling Machine" video off of skylighter? I don't believe the plywood the steel bowl is attatched is actually resting on the shaft of the motor, but rather the motor turns a rod via pulleys inside the main box, and that is what the plywood mount rides on top of. My question is what size and speed of motor could do this?? I have been searching and have found that a dc tefc motor is the best choice, but find me one that isn't super expensive! And then the next issues, trying to control the speed of that motor, whole other ball of wax there!!

#43 cooperman435

cooperman435

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:39 AM

Mines direct drive onto a 12v motor and gearbox from a golf cart!

JOB DONE

#44 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:55 PM

I just run a small (trailer?) tire on my homemade ball mill rollers. I've only made 2 batches but it seems to work well.

#45 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 12:09 AM

yes Ive been informed off a good Friend from this forum these "tire" star rollers are superb i was told it was the internal ribbing of the tire that really made a difference over a smooth drum and i to plan to utilize my ball mill rollers as the motive power, kind of two machines in one, which is handy when space is tight, i mean you've got to store all this gear somewhere!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users