• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#46 ultrabuf

ultrabuf

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 03:16 PM

I'm planning on doing the same thing, its getting to be a real pain in the ass to roll stars with comp sticking to the sides of the jar all the time.

#47 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 02:09 AM

I'm very happy with my star rolling setup. The tire works great and is (almost) idiot proof. I've only rolled a few batches but it seems quite easy.

#48 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:17 PM

yes Ive been informed off a good Friend from this forum these "tire" star rollers are superb i was told it was the internal ribbing of the tire that really made a difference over a smooth drum and i to plan to utilize my ball mill rollers as the motive power, kind of two machines in one, which is handy when space is tight, i mean you've got to store all this gear somewhere!

Yep the tire rollers are dead easy to use. The tires are free from the local kwik fit or similar and there are many sizes to choose from depending on the size of the batch of stars to be rolled (not all tires have the internal ribs though).

I have a similar setup using my ball mill rollers for turning the tire with the addition of a removable cage to stop the tore falling over.

If you wet the sides of the tore then comp will still build up just like in a standard star roller. However if it is too bad then simply get another tore for free and save the agro of cleaning the tire (speaking from experience with one alcohol bound experiment).
Phew that was close.

#49 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:00 AM

Just been working on a new way (for me) to start stars and think you may be interested too.

I was trying to start them by clumping a dough of the mix being rolled and granulating it into the star roller bucket but found it hard to achieve BUT.....

the problem was tat the cores created were so small and light they stuck to my drum which lead to my new discovery

What I did then was to dampen the drum and put powder into it which promptly stuck like the proverbial to it in a thin layer. I then sprayed it a few more times and continued adding powder as I went on untill it was about 2mm thick then added an excess of powder and using the end of a stainless steel teaspoon scratched the coating off the back and sides of the drum so it created lumps which promptly rolled in the dry composition and became cores!

I still needed to be careful not to over wet the cores once they were formed before adding more dry powder and found it best to have an excess of powder around them and a very fine mister to dampen them but what an easy way it is to start stars without "cores" to start from.

Let me know your opinions guys n gals

#50 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:23 AM

I find some comps dont need cores when hand rolling. I can just spray some silver streamer stars with water, only a teaspoon of powder in the bowl (this only works with bright flake comps for some reason), keep shaking as you would during normal hand rolling and overwet the comp, and eventually it forms small cores. Its almost impossible to describe when to stop adding water though, but it looks very damp and starts to stick to the sides when its almost right.

That sounds like a good method for those of us with a star roller, for hand rolling I've found it difficult to get started unless the cores are perfectly round to begin with though, as I found earlier trying to use cut 1mm crackling microstars as cores.
You can never have a long enough fuse...

#51 dogsbody

dogsbody

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:35 AM

Yep the tire rollers are dead easy to use. The tires are free from the local kwik fit or similar and there are many sizes to choose from depending on the size of the batch of stars to be rolled (not all tires have the internal ribs though).

not wanting to be a killjoy, but tyre compnies are not supposed to give away/sell etc old tyre under the waste transportation regulations!!!!

however, if they happen to come off of your car, your can request to keep them, otherwise they become the property of the tyres seller and he is required to dispose of them in the correct manner (ie an accredited shipping company)

#52 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:01 AM

not wanting to be a killjoy, but tyre compnies are not supposed to give away/sell etc old tyre under the waste transportation regulations!!!!

however, if they happen to come off of your car, your can request to keep them, otherwise they become the property of the tyres seller and he is required to dispose of them in the correct manner (ie an accredited shipping company)

Interesting...not sure if there's any such law here in Canada, but tires are very easy to find anywhere.

#53 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:03 AM

Maybe so, but they have never refused to let me rumage through the used tyre piles to find what I want.
Phew that was close.

#54 wjames

wjames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:09 AM

i hear what you are saying ( an ex mechanic )

But, it used to cost us over a pound per tyre for disposal.......and when a garage shifts 300 tyres a week......well, it adds up.....we used to sell the knacked ones to the tramp-drift team for £2 a tyre - they used them for drifting ( no traction required )

just my POV

#55 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:12 AM

i hear what you are saying ( an ex mechanic )

But, it used to cost us over a pound per tyre for disposal.......and when a garage shifts 300 tyres a week......well, it adds up.....we used to sell the knacked ones to the tramp-drift team for £2 a tyre - they used them for drifting ( no traction required )

just my POV

Pardon my being from Canada, but I'm curious...what is a tramp-drift team, and what is drifting?

#56 wjames

wjames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:28 AM

drifting is a japanese thing, i was i japan when it all hit off!!!!

drifting is a form of motorsport...using a rear wheel drive car on a road or track....and "sliding" or getting the back end out, getting the rear wheels to spin, also widely known as oversteer....but under control.

Tramp drift is the same thing, only using the cheapest possible car and tyres.......in the uk...and old sierra and tyres with no tread left.

here's a quick video of a drift mix
http://uk.youtube.co...h?v=Dbge-y9jMJg

guess who drifts in spare time ?

#57 cooperman435

cooperman435

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:52 AM

Guess who does too :-)

We were in the UK D1 drift champs doing quite well till it got all "serious" too!

#58 wjames

wjames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:10 AM

the weapon of choice :

Posted Image
Posted Image

having spent time in tokyo - i can say i have seen the proper men of the drift world first hand....i met the top secret team ! :o

#59 cooperman435

cooperman435

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:03 AM

Touche!

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0013.JPG
  • buttertubspass01.jpg
  • DSCN0072.jpg

#60 knackers

knackers

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 06:25 AM

post edited

it had nothing to do with star rolling machines....

Edited by phill 63, 30 October 2008 - 10:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users