• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#16 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 05:51 PM

It's not shock tube, it's PIC. Two seperate products. PIC is an igniter cord designed to burn in speeds ranging from a second per 2 cm to around 5-8 seconds per metre.

ICI no longer manufacture the very slow (blue) or very fast (brown) speeds, they only sell the standard yellow cord now.

#17 Karl

Karl

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:22 PM

Richard is right. The inside of the plastic tube is not dusted. And yes, ICI doesn't make the fast anymore IIRC, only the slow. Quicksilver in Hyde has quite abit of it if you want some.

#18 Frozentech

Frozentech

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:37 PM

It's not shock tube, it's PIC. Two seperate products. PIC is an igniter cord designed to burn in speeds ranging from a second per 2 cm to around 5-8 seconds per metre.

ICI no longer manufacture the very slow (blue) or very fast (brown) speeds, they only sell the standard yellow cord now.

OK, I wasn't familiar with PIC actually, but have seen pink and yellow shock tube in use. What is the main advantage of PIC over visco type fuse ? I am certain it is waterproof, etc.
"The word unblowupable is thrown around a lot these days, but I think I can say with confidence..."
KAABLAAAMMM!!!
"OK... that shows you what could potentially happen."
--Homer Simpson

#19 Karl

Karl

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:46 PM

Waterproof (Burns underwater IIRC)

Bends (and holds its shape)

It will light any fuse you attach it to.

#20 Rhodri

Rhodri

One of the gang!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 07:46 AM

PIC also burns at a very reliable and exact rate.
Making light, sound and good conversation.

#21 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 07:53 AM

OK, I wasn't familiar with PIC actually, but have seen pink and yellow shock tube in use. What is the main advantage of PIC over visco type fuse ? I am certain it is waterproof, etc.

That's not surprising. I never seen a PIC in the USA, and was baffled when I first heard about it here. I was even more shocked to see the extent to which it is being used.

The product in manufactured in the UK, and the company does not export to America. It is a shame, as this suppresses any other ?non-electric? ignition methods. It does not ?jump?, and you can safety cover it with tape without it becoming a quick match. It bends without ?breaking? and can operate under water (of course, no problem with rain), it have excellent timing, takes fire well from a direct flame, but not from accidental sparks, and produce a very strong flame. It is also ?Solid? rather then a powder train (elastic like a tile wire), meaning it does not ?die? for fail because of spaces in the powder train (it?s rare on visco, but virtually impossible on PIC). It?s a bit on the expensive side, but still, very good.

Edited by BigG, 26 October 2005 - 10:06 AM.

#22 chris17

chris17

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 09:59 AM

PIC is definitely the best fuse there is. Generally it is much more reliable than Visco or any other fuse for that matter.

#23 BigBang

BigBang

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 11:52 AM

PIC also burns at a much higher temp than visco, igniting some comps that visco wouldnt, eliminating the need for a primer.

andy

#24 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 06:03 PM

Slow PIC is the read lead/silicon/oxidiser around a copper wire core extruded inside a (yellow) polyethylene tube. Fast PIC has a core of 3 fine strands of black match wrapped around the wire, then an outer layer of a similar igniter composition extruded inside a clear polyethylene tube, hence the brown colour. You do actually need to be a bit careful about taping PIC too closely, if you really confine it it will burn 2....3 times as fast, if you don't believe me try wrapping it in a couple of turns of decent foil tape and see what happens. Mantitor in Brasil make a similar thing to slow PIC only it's grey and cheaper.

Edited by pyrotrev, 26 October 2005 - 06:04 PM.

Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#25 pyromania

pyromania

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 07:54 PM

where in the uk can you buy PIC fuse i know www.kno3.com sells it but, I dont really want to buy from him as i have heard only bad things. Also is PIC fuse really worth the extra money considering visco far cheaper, and can from what i have read do most jobs aswell(part from igniting high ignition temp comps)

#26 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:48 PM

http://depatisnet.dp...ges=4&pdfpage=1

Page 2 and 3

I think this gets very close to PIC fuse, although they don?t use red lead today I think. There are many examples given.

Correct me if I?m wrong. But I thought that these two types are quite similar so I posted it.

paul

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#27 Karl

Karl

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:53 PM

where in the uk can you buy PIC fuse i know www.kno3.com sells it but, I dont really want to buy from him as i have heard only bad things. Also is PIC fuse really worth the extra money considering visco far cheaper, and can from what i have read do most jobs aswell(part from igniting high ignition temp comps)

Quicksilver in Hyde sell it (Nr Manchester) Let me know if you want some, I know a few other members want some too. Might be able to get it abit cheaper if we get a few more buyers too.

#28 Ritual33

Ritual33

Mooooo!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:44 PM

Dude, I go through Hyde like almost every week, where is this quicksilver? and how much do they sell the stuff for? Would be a dreeeaaaaaam to use 'real' fuse :P

Regards,
Drew :)
In Development...
--------------------------------------------------------------
Drew's World - http://drews-world.co.uk
Pyro World - http://pyro-world.co.uk
----------------------------------------------

#29 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 10:09 PM

Quicksilver in Hyde sell it (Nr Manchester) Let me know if you want some, I know a few other members want some too. Might be able to get it abit cheaper if we get a few more buyers too.

i'm interested in some, what price?

#30 chris17

chris17

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 10:37 PM

Also is PIC fuse really worth the extra money considering visco far cheaper, and can from what i have read do most jobs aswell(part from igniting high ignition temp comps)

It depends very much on what you use the fuse for. Visco is fine for home made pyrotechnics or small shows and such, but PIC is my choice for displays or whenever i need a reliable fuse that works in pouring rain or difficulty conditions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users