106 replies to this topic

#91 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:30 PM

It's almost two years to the day and my hands are most definitely healed. The burns were only minor and did not require any treatment.

Thank you for your concern.

Where would you buy flying gloves??

A hobbyists flying shop??
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

#92 bushman

bushman

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:37 AM

I had a look after posting and evilbay sells them and you can also do a general search on the web and they should come up. The ones I have are RAF issue and I think on the market cost about £30 the US ones seem interesting as they have a nomex back to them which is fire resistant and can be laundered without affecting this quality. As I said before its the last thing you want to do but sometimes when you see something burning especially in close proximity to smothing else which might cause disaster its often the the little pinkies that suffer hence why I have the aloe plant to. For the record all burns I have sustained so far have been when dealing with fires and bushcraft NOT pyrotechnics.

#93 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:03 PM

I have found the following things to be important factors

-Expect the unexpected.
-Minimise risks by having a planned step by step working method.
-Keep your working area free from clutter.
-Only have enough composition with you to complete the task at hand.
-If you are trying something new find out as much as you can about the process involved and give yourself plenty of time to step back and think about what you are doing.
-Don’t become distracted, the only time I have come near to an accident is when I have not seen a potential problem and missed something usually quite obvious after the event.
Freud. Artists, in this view, are people who may avoid neurosis and perversion by sublimating their impulses in their work.

#94 Jon

Jon

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 02:55 AM

Respect for speaking up and reminding others Paul. Hope this hasnt knocked your confidence as you seem like you know your stuff.
Hope your good fella. ;)

#95 drtoivowillmann

drtoivowillmann

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:05 PM

Dear Friends:

This topic is quite old, but safty themes never loose actuality !

1st. Dry Back Powder is not sensitive to friction but is SENSITIVE to impact.
Better not to ram but to press dry Black Powder.

2nd. Plastic tools (marret) may cause sparks by static electricity. Better to use brass or hard wood.

3rd. Even less dangerous: moisten with water before ramming. With water (about 10%) even perchlorate
compositions may be rammed without accidents.

Greetings from Brazil:

ToivoPosted Image

#96 rocketpro

rocketpro

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:52 AM

It's almost two years to the day and my hands are most definitely healed. The burns were only minor and did not require any treatment.

Have you thought about buying a press? I wouldn`t hit on any chemicals, i press everything.

Who tests the tester.

#97 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 02:51 PM

It is quite acceptable to ram BP with non sparking tooling wearing PPE.
A press with blast shield will give an extra layer of comfort and more consistency in the fuel grain but the risk advantage is minimal.
It is far more likely to have another source of ignition as in seymours case.
Freud. Artists, in this view, are people who may avoid neurosis and perversion by sublimating their impulses in their work.

#98 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 03:43 PM

seymour, on 09 February 2009 - 09:30 PM, said:

Have you thought about buying a press? I wouldn`t hit on any chemicals, i press everything.

Well my accident was quite different. I had a steel bowl filled with a BP type composition in the sun. The light was focused by the shape of the bowl, and it ignited.

However, yes, I do ram compositions regularly, and while I know accidents have been known to occur, I consider this a low enough risk to be worthwhile, as long as I only ram relatively insensitive compositions, with wooden tools, in humid conditions.

Pressing is ideal though, you are right.

Edited by seymour, 21 March 2010 - 03:44 PM.

The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

#99 tess

tess

tess

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:26 AM

Hope you recovery soon.
To be careful when light any kind of fireworks.
tess

#100 a_bab

a_bab

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:00 AM

Well; considering the date of the thread the author must be healed by now.

You don't have to make posts just for the sake of it here, but rather to share some stuff, like pictures during the manufacturing from your fireworks factory. I'm not asking you formula secrets and such, but just the basic thing and they will be very welcome.

Welcome on this forum!

#101 tess

tess

tess

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:02 AM

Well; considering the date of the thread the author must be healed by now.

You don't have to make posts just for the sake of it here, but rather to share some stuff, like pictures during the manufacturing from your fireworks factory. I'm not asking you formula secrets and such, but just the basic thing and they will be very welcome.

Welcome on this forum!

Ok. Thanks for the welcome words. I am new here. I just think it is also a polite way to say hi. Anyway, the basic thing also need to pay attention on , right? I just write the truth of my own . I do not think anything need to blame or something like abuse. I do not mean to rude.
Hope do not mind.
tess

#102 paul bradley

paul bradley

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:58 PM

Sorry about the accident Paul, thanks for the info.

#103 Ollie1016

Ollie1016

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:30 AM

I had an accident about a year and a half ago. I very stupidly was crushing up match heads in a mortar and pestle then I started to grind them. Suddenly all 10g of match powder ignited and burnt my right hand very badly. I had a bandage on for 7 months and lost the feeling in the side of my hand for 4 months because I had burnt the nerve endings so badly!

Now ALL THE TIME , I were a wax jacket, full face shield and goggles underneath, and heavy duty gloves. Its annoying but I've learnt a lesson!

#104 bangkokpyro

bangkokpyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:26 AM

Matches are designed to ignite when you strike them. Friction from them rubbing against something, even a small child knows this.
How did you imagine they could be ground in a pestle and mortar ? I'm sorry you burned yourself but in reality you did not have an accident you did something idiotic and no amount of protective clothing will protect you from stupidity!

#105 barnsley-mark

barnsley-mark

Why did I try that?

• UKPS Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:16 AM

I have to agree with the above, this forum is for responsible pyro enthusiasts. Can I ask what you were trying to achieve with the match heads?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users