• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 myinisjap

myinisjap

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 12:04 AM

i was wondering if any1 has used or made exploding blood packs they are going to be used in a film students movie so they cant cost a lot as far as saftey they are going to be mounted on a piece of steel with padding on the back

#2 ProfHawking

ProfHawking

3... 2... 1... Umm

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 02:34 PM

you know my feelings on this - buy proper ones.
Reasons are such:
to make a realistic bulletwound effect, the squib must detonate with enough force to burst through the clothing. It also should not go off with too much of a flash, and should not emmit smoke. Therefore you are very limited as to what you can use. To get enough point pressure to burst through a loose shirt you pretty much have to use flash or a tiny amount of HE. this really really not a good way to go. At the ?10 a hit with the proper ones, its still much cheaper than if your homemade device shatters a metal plate into someones chest....

this site: http://www.exposure....lood/index.html
has some intresting info, including using compressed air to make a safer but still gory effect.

#3 barra69

barra69

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 05:54 PM

Dont mean to start a row, but why do filmcrews insist on having these generaly unrealistic blood splash effects? Is it because so few people have seen a bullet strike the human torso and therefore have an expectation that there will be gouts of blood flying; or is it to shock?

#4 ProfHawking

ProfHawking

3... 2... 1... Umm

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 07:18 PM

I know what you mean, ive never witnessed a human being shot but I remember seeing a demo on a pig with live rounds, and it was surprisingly non distructive, just a small hole.

Generally, it seems the cheaper the film the more gore! They must just try to make it violent & just rub it in more than real. Otherwise those movie stars get shot a few times and still go on to kill the baddies. No, wait that happens anyway.....

#5 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 07:43 PM

Heh, the thing I find funny is how people take like 7 shots to the chest and carry on as if nothing happened in a movie, lets face it, if you weren't dead, the pain would make you pass out.
Category 4 Trained to BPA Level 1 Equivalent.

#6 barra69

barra69

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 08:44 PM

This is a very interesting subject and one that has a lot of B******t attached to it. Believe it or not the human frame can take multiple hits with little immediate effect (After action report from Top Malo house for example). If a hit causes misting it is usually an exposed area (head, hands) and not usually the torso (if clothed). As for pain its very subjective, one person may feel great pain another nothing. From personal experience there was no pain just a burning and numbness; the hole was a black dot with a blue rim and no pain; initial hit felt like a punch.
However I suppose it makes for dramatic films.

#7 riptheory101

riptheory101

Got a Light!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 09:07 PM

Interesting depends on what round your shot with.
hollow point will cause alot of damage as it tends to expand on impact with soft tissue and hard objects and full metal jacket bullets can have a habbit of going through you.

Hollow points would make alot of mess

Either way I cant imagine it being a fun experience

#8 lew

lew

Hi. Im Barry Scott!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 10:01 AM

Just out interest, I was watching mythbusters on discovery yesterday, and they were making bloodbags.

They used corn syrup and red/brown food colouring for the blood, and condoms for the bags, with very good results.

If you were inclined to make some, I would first test your 'Rig' a few time on a soft target (like a melon or pumpkin) to make sure no damage was caused.

#9 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 11:25 PM

As amatuer SFX goes, this is one of the touchiest subjects...

Really, don't make your own and be left to pick up the pieces afterwards (literally).

Proper bullet hits are expensive, yes, but they are made to high standards and are reliable and are APPROVED. Even if you can get them, you shouldn't use them if you dont know what you are doing.

Also, the hit should always be placed OVER the blookpack, not under it as this would be super-unrealistic.

Barra - did the bullet exit? I have 'heard' that the exit wound is the worst, sometimes taking a chunk out!!
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#10 barra69

barra69

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 11:37 PM

On my hit it shattered the humerus (stupid name for that bone) having travelled from a wrist entry. Bullet (HV FMJ) disintegrated into lead shards and jacket seperation without total exit. I think a couple of shards of bone may have exited. Was quite lucky because it somehow missed the radial nerve.
On other hits I have seen, again with FMJ's the exits were not too bad. One I saw on the stomach had a little intestine protruding out of an exit hole no bigger than the entry. If the bullet isnt in yaw (usually after the first 100m or so, it can be quite clean and clinical) I have seen photos of the results of bullets such as hydo-shock and these exits were quite big. All boils down to what swats you I suppose. 12 bore slugs from a weapon such as the remingtom 870 are awesome though. They leave holes as big as saucers even if they dont hit bone.
Makes you realise just how soft and fragile we are.

#11 myinisjap

myinisjap

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 05:03 AM

would it look unreal if i took the shirt the actor was wearing and put it on a manakin and then used a homemade squib because then there wouldnt be any chance of a person getting hurt the shot will most likely be a close up and ill try not to over do the effect
"If a hit causes misting it is usually an exposed area (head, hands)" but as mentioned it depends on the bullet shotguns cause the biggest mist and the smallest would be a high powered rifle

#12 PYRODUDE!!!

PYRODUDE!!!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 10:52 PM

I diden't even know you could buy squibs. Could anyone post a link where I could get hold of some?

Cheers

#13 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 11:42 PM

You can't get proper Azide ones unless you are in the trade. You can get softer flash / fulminating types from TPL and LeMaitre.

As for the mannequin - it would all be about how you shot it, if you do a close up of the area, then who is to know wether it is on an actor or the dummy.
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#14 myinisjap

myinisjap

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 07:57 AM

would i use a flash powder for the explosion or what should i use that would give less of a bright flash

#15 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 07:58 AM

KP burst powder doesn't give as bright a flash.
Category 4 Trained to BPA Level 1 Equivalent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users