44 replies to this topic

#16 willd

willd

willd

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 08:03 PM

Well when i was there everywhere had them even souvenir shops but it may have changed.

#17 PYRODUDE!!!

PYRODUDE!!!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 05:08 PM

The French bangers are much more powerful than the above bangers. Some however, are filled with paper and clay to make them look big and powerful, but they can be pretty rubish. Still cool though.

#18 EnigmaticBiker

EnigmaticBiker

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 10:11 PM

The French bangers are much more powerful than the above bangers. Some however, are filled with paper and clay to make them look big and powerful, but they can be pretty rubish. Still cool though.

Bloody'ell, the memories are flooding back, 20'odd years ago I had a wail of a time in France with bangers.(oh I sound so old :( ).

They were powerful then, even the really tiny crackers blew themselves to bits!

Must have been flash, they were really small with dangerously small fuses in some cases.

Chinese firecrackers probably.

#19 PYRODUDE!!!

PYRODUDE!!!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 04:19 PM

They still are very powerfull, if you copy and paste "p?tards " in google images you'll see what I mean!

#20 minalth

minalth

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:48 PM

3 years ago at least a lot of the french ones had flash, but the larger ones as already mentioned were half empty and had lots of card.

the tubes were *really* poorly made, if i was making them i would say that the flash between layers of card that were not thick enough to resist bending if the tube was squashed could ignite from friction.

the flash wasn't great quality either, it really seemed like they couldn't be bothered with the construction
If you must argue, remember that it is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.

#21 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 07:23 AM

The majority of "French" bangers, are the individual units that go to make up Chinese crackers. They are made very quickly and cheaply in China. They aren't pretty but they're functional.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#22 5thElement

5thElement

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 09:58 PM

Can anyone tell me what the legal status of bangers is?

Obviously it's illegal for retailers to sell them now, but thats about all i know!

Is it illegal to just posess them? or to buy them from somewhere else outside the UK?

#23 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 07:46 PM

In *theory* if you still have them from when it was legal to buy them, you are OK as the law only applies to sales, if they were classified as Cat3 (or equivalent) at the time. Briging them into the country by rail / sea or air is probably illegal.

If you have some classic old bangers, don't sweat. You probably don't want to set them off anyway.
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#24 5thElement

5thElement

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 09:46 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I was more thinking of having some sent from abroad, looks like thats out of the question though :(

#25 EnigmaticBiker

EnigmaticBiker

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 03:05 PM

Does anyone remember these? Think this will be a popular item with the 'oldies' :P

Got my hands on a box with a few in it. Time to get put away I think!

What would you guys do with them? Anyone had them before?

Posted Image

Link doesn't work anymore.

Does anyone have a source of pictures (flat labels/boxes) for bangers. I can't seem to find them on Fireworkmuseum or similar sites.

#26 tartanmack

tartanmack

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:48 AM

Those bangers are not likely to be older than the very late 80's or early 90's, which is when JME/Brightstar started to become of prominence as a firework company. I'd save them, they are the collectors items of tomorrow. They will go phut, not bang. They either contain BP or nitrocellulose. (I had some Standard 3-2-1 bangers once with nitrocellulose pearls in), Useless!

"Collectors items of tomorrow" -- maybe I should hold on to these a bit longer then :D

http://img179.images...age00052mv1.jpg

#27 5thElement

5thElement

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 12:04 AM

wow, did you buy enough?? lol

#28 tartanmack

tartanmack

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:04 AM

wow, did you buy enough?? lol

Surprising what turns up when you start having a sort out :D

#29 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 05:34 PM

The Italian Cobra 6 are the strongest legal bangers in Europe. 28 grams (about an ounce) of KClO4/Al flash or like 10 real M-80s!

They used to be 48.5 grams, but 28 grams are more than enough. B)
"This salt, formerly called hyperoxymuriate of potassa, is
used for sundry preparations, and especially for experimental
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#30 Rip Rap

Rip Rap

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:38 AM

The Italian Cobra 6 are the strongest legal bangers in Europe. 28 grams (about an ounce) of KClO4/Al flash or like 10 real M-80s!

They used to be 48.5 grams, but 28 grams are more than enough. B)

Are you serious?? 28 grams of flash?? Have you got any pics of one? The tube must be massive - 28 grams (or 48!!!) of flash would be a considerable pile of powder!
"Choose a job that you love & you will never do a days work in your life!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users