#31 pudi.dk

pudi.dk

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 05:56 PM

Haha, I have like, 3 respirators.
First one is a gas mask that I bought in Berlin as a souvenir. It came with a cartridge, a rubber hose and a bag. It actually works, but it's kinda annoying that it's made out of rubber, it pulls out a lot of hair.

Second one is one i bought in a Military shop, it's like GuiltyCon's picture. A gas mask with clear faceshield and cartridge. Overkill, but still cool. Though, it still pulls out hair because of the rubber buckles.

Third is an actual respirator that I bought yesterday to prevent dust and vapours in my loungs. It's easy to take on and doesn't pull out hair. It cost me 200 dkk (5,5 kr = 1$), a pack of dust mask cost almost the same, 130 kr... Dust mask are crappy and they get dirty and the buckles snaps, so I thought the respirator would a much better purchuse. I've already used it for a bunch of stuff like soldering, working with white spirit and some dust clouds. Something that my previous dust mask didn't work as well for.

Edited by pudi.dk, 10 August 2007 - 05:58 PM.

Videos visit: http://www.pudi.dk

#32 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:19 PM

I have the same mask as GuiltyCon's first pic. I have regular organic vapour filters as well as filters for gases (chlorine) not sure what other gases they are good for. I'll have to check when I get home. There are also fine particle (pre) filters that snap on over main filters. I believe they are intended for spray paint, but I use them anyway. I have never been able to smell anything through them and have not had black "boogers" when working with fine charcoal.

I'm happy with the mask and am sure it is keeping a lot out of my lungs, and that is very important to me.

Important note:
I was told by the gent at the safety store where I bought my mask and filters that the filters should be stored in a sealed bag or container as the air will "use up" the filtering media. (Probably activated charcoal, but I don't remember) I think the filters have a shelf life once opened... check the label.

#33 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:34 PM

The first cartridge says..'dust filter against solidaerosols only'.The second...organic gases and vapours..I was pumping some stars a few weeks ago using a 33% meths solution (in water) and couldn't smell a thing,as we all know how bad that stuff smells,so i think i should be ok.

What about the idea of MgSO4 in the washing powder?.I'm only working with small quantities at the moment and dont really kick up much dust,so is it overkill?

EDIT..Yes,i always seal the mask in a plastic bag.There also is a use by date and a place to write when you removed the original packaging.

regards
dean :ph34r:

Edited by portfire, 10 August 2007 - 06:47 PM.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#34 pudi.dk

pudi.dk

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 11:41 PM

Posted Image
Videos visit: http://www.pudi.dk

#35 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 10:17 PM

sh*t that first one looks scary!! like something off doctor who

#36 Gazza

Gazza

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:50 PM

"Do'nt ingest potentially hazardous chemicals" goes without saying- anyone with an ounce of common-sense would know not to intentionally taste ANY pyro chemical. Only a complete lunatic would attempt to sample some barium compound, or even potassium nitrate, for that matter! Anyone without common-sense and a sane mind (and believe me, these people are abundant in modern society ) should not be practicing pyro.

#37 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 06:43 AM

Less than 50 years ago, taste was still an accepted physical property. I've met people who have tasted all sorts of nasties. They're chemists so their sanity speak for themselves, but I'd say they still at least have some common sense. By the way, potassium nitrate tastes cold. Maybe I am a bit insane.

#38 Gazza

Gazza

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 03:26 PM

I am a trainee chemist myself, so I guess that I can't be 100% sane! :wacko: I enjoy pyro and chemistry; always have done from about the age of 8. People who know next to nothing about chemistry (these are the dumbasses think that fireworks are made of dynamite!) can't understand my interest in pyrotechnics/chemistry. If you dislike watching/playing football, you're considered as being weird or a geek! I could'nt give a damn; I enjoy what I do. Do'nt get me wrong, my life does not revolve around pyro (I have other interests aswell), but footy is not one of them. If that makes me weird, then so be it! Then you have the misinformed, paranoid general public and the sensationalistic media to contend with: "Oh, he must be an anarchist/ he has an unsavoury interest in making b*mz". Assholes!

#39 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 04:01 AM

I could not resist it. I have been wondering for a while. The closest thing I can compare Barium nitrate to is Potassium nitrate. It tastes less cold though, and that salty "spice" to it is stronger.

I rinsed my mouth and spat it out several times, once with a few grains of K2SO4 dissolved in water, and the rest with tap water.
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

#40 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:54 AM

Barium nitrate is toxic, no there must be some mistake. Ive been sprinkling it along with potassium dicromate on my chips for years and so far im fine :)

Edited by marble, 18 October 2007 - 11:54 AM.

#41 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 02:32 AM

So says the man who is opaque to x-rays. :)

#42 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:00 PM

No... That's barium sulfate, isn't it mubles?

#43 icarus

icarus

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:36 PM

if you go to a motor factor who sells car paints etc they have reasonable priced respirators the disposable ones work out more expensive they fit badly and they are horrible to use as they have no valves in so you blow out through the filter many fine dusts are dangerous i found an article saying aluminium dust may be implicated in early onset of alzheimmers .shepshed auto spares has a dual filter mask for easier breathing priced at £5 i got 50% trade discount bringing it down to £2.50
protodezine@gmail.com

#44 icarus

icarus

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:39 PM

ps I cheated at chemistry a level years ago as i could id many chemicals from either taste or smell
protodezine@gmail.com

#45 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:07 AM

Well, barium sulfate is used because it's not soluble within the human body, but it is the barium itself that absorbs x-rays no matter what the anion is, so it shows up on x-rays. I don't know of anyone willing to drink a few ounces of Barium nitrate though to prove this.

As far as aluminum in Altzheimers. I do beleive it is involved, as altzheimer's patients will show aluminum deposits within one's brain, possibly leading to the memory loss and such. However, I've never seen any studies showing that aluminum metal or salt exposure is the cause as opposed to just a break down in the body's ability to dispose of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users