Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:56 PM

My favorite fuels for modelrockets(because they have much power) are:
1: 64% KNO3
26% Epoxid
5%-S
5%-Al
and
2: 2:1 KNO3/Sorbit(diabeticer sugar)
melt the Sorbit(slow and not too hot) and than add the KNO3 and stirr.
Allow it to cool or pour it into the tubes. You can add up to 5% Fe2O3 or
ascorbic acid for more power

The second one is cheap and if the propellant charge is big and long
enough a high about 300 ft and more!! are possible to reach.

greez Chris

EDIT: PS: I shot an rocket over 450ft high in the sky :D

Edited by Dj Killerboss, 07 November 2006 - 10:59 PM.

Do you have fire??

#17 BPBR

BPBR

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 12:46 AM

I did not think that sugar and bp rockets would go higher than 300ft,thanks for the replies :) Do you know where I can buy a rocket,suitable for this types of simple fuels,that ships worldwide? :D

Edited by BPBR, 08 November 2006 - 12:47 AM.

Try to ignore my english mistakes :P

#18 aquarius

aquarius

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 12:24 PM

What kind of epoxy do you use, any kind? I have seen some tests on Nakkas site, but not totally sure how they are made. If you feel up to it, please make a guide to solid fuels made with KNO3, S and Al (or other catalyst.)

#19 Dj Killerboss

Dj Killerboss

Firedevil

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 06:36 PM

I used the Epoxyd resin from the 2 component glue.
I can't write a guide cause I'm in the conclusion year....

@ BPBR: Why buy?? Build your own rocket....
Construct with Space CAD to see if the rocket would fly
and if it's stabil.

greez Chris
Do you have fire??

#20 Dj Killerboss

Dj Killerboss

Firedevil

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 07:50 PM

I have made a small solid rocket.
Fuel was KNSO. 16mm iD and 65mm long, 30g header.
http://static.flickr...6af0539.jpg?v=0

and the vid :D

http://rapidshare.co...V01875.MPG.html

The rocket was very high....
On the vid you can see the D1 effect and about 1 sec later you can hear the bang.

greez Chris

Edited by Dj Killerboss, 11 November 2006 - 07:50 PM.

Do you have fire??

#21 triffid

triffid

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 04:16 PM

Has anyone got opinion / experience of drilling BP rocket cores instead of ramming them on a spindle? I'm making good motors on a brass spindle, but find them hard to remove afterwards and the process is slow. I'm thinking of ramming several tubes at a time solid, and then drilling the central core out afterwards, but am concerned how safe that would be. . . Instead of ramming a clay nozzle, I use glued-in wooden dowel with a drilled nozzle, and that works very well.

#22 Jerronimo

Jerronimo

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 06:27 PM

No, NEVER drill the core in rockets of any type/composition!
You can apply a little vaseline to the spindle to make it easier to remove, always works for me.
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

#23 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 09:13 PM

The wooden nozzle thing is a bad idea as well. Firstly the wood would be erroded very very rapidly by the burning gases. Also, in case of a cato, the nozzle will act like projectile instead of powdering into a harmless powder.

It's not completely insane to drill into a rocket or other BP comp. However only do it by hand. IE turn the chuck by hand to drill into it. I would not personally drill a core. When I drill out nozzles it is only slightly into the core, such as in end burners or gerbes. When doing fountains with Ti, I ram a layer of BP to the end so I don't have to worry about the Ti sparking or anything. Straight BP I have no problem drilling into.

For a full core, I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't be against it, but I don't think I could ever get it straight enough. I've done it before with a few rockets. None ever processed very well. Again they were hand drilled slowly. This goes back to the simple principle, access the risk do what you're comfortable with.

#24 triffid

triffid

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:52 AM

Thanks, I'll strike that idea then. I just got bored with ramming rockets singley by hand and am looking to speed things up. I'll run-up a couple more spindles and experiment with ramming or pressing the BP. I started using wooden nozzles as I didn't have any clay handy, and they work pretty well for me.Yes, there's a bit of erosion on recovered motors, but its not stopping the rocket getting to c. 600-800 ft. Thanks for the tip on vaseline - don't know how you came up with that idea!

#25 Jerronimo

Jerronimo

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 08:22 PM

Thanks for the tip on vaseline - don't know how you came up with that idea!

I learned the hard way, first rocket I rammed with a spindle was nearly impossible to remove :angry: .
Adding some vaseline around the spindle base solved my problem :D , it also sticks to the clay plug making it less water absorbent.
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

#26 bonzoronnie

bonzoronnie

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 07:59 PM

Hi to all on the forum.
After many years of wanting to, I now find myself with time on my hands to devote to pyrotechnics.
After reading many written articles and many hours of net research. I am now able to make a reliable BP.
I have been making limited progress with some small rockets.
After feeble aftemps at tube rolling, :) I brought some small cracker tubes. I am now able to reliably send these up into the sky.
After setting off a few shop bought rockets, I was surprised to see the spent motors were made from Plastic tube.
I had some 15mm od x 12mm id Plastic tube to hand, which was promptly cut into 3" lenghts. I rammed a 13mm bentonite solid nozle. Ramed with a slowish BP mix and finished off with a further 13mm of bentonite. The nozle was then drilled by hand with a 3mm drill and 5mm into the BP. I thought I would start with end burners .
Ten motors were first tried upside down in a bucket of sand and were found to burn really well.
As I am lucky enough to live in a rural location and with no close neigbours it was time to try them out for real.
I have now sent over a dozen up with reliable result. Rapid accent. Good spark trail and plenty of height.

I would like to ask the forums views, as to the use of Plastc tubes in small rockets.

#27 Ritual33

Ritual33

Mooooo!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 08:42 PM

I just don't like the whole plastic thing, non-biogradable. Look after the planet dude.

Drew
In Development...
--------------------------------------------------------------
Drew's World - http://drews-world.co.uk
Pyro World - http://pyro-world.co.uk
----------------------------------------------

#28 Spudgun

Spudgun

Alex

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 10:11 PM

I just don't like the whole plastic thing, non-biogradable. Look after the planet dude.

Drew

Ive got to agree :)

#29 bonzoronnie

bonzoronnie

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:11 AM

I must say I have to agree on the biodegradeable issue raised in the use of plastic tube.
I did give this due thought before taking this route.

First and foremost was the safety issue. I have been unable to source any 1/2" id paper tubes in the uk. Plenty of 3/4" available but this means more BP production and an even bigger bang if all turns pear shaped :o .

Perhaps other members know of a UK source of 1/2" tube.

As I said I am new to this hobby. I raised the subject to get other members views as to the safety issues of plastic tube.

I have no intention of adding a payload to any of my rocket motors until the full safety aspects are understood. I do not really want to move up to 3/4" tube just yet.

#30 pymp

pymp

Trying to move into SFX..

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 04:14 PM

Inoxia sell 1/2" ID tubes.
"There are many old pyros
There are many bold pyros
But there are not very many
Old, Bold Pyros"