Nov 5th 2006, your displays

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 03:19 PM

I thought it would be interesting to see what people are doing this year for displays, and if their are any useful effects combinations people have found in previous years (i.e. what star combinations look best in rocket headers, shells, starmines because due to brightness some effects dont mix very well)

For my display I have the following planned:
mixture of charcoal (first so the charcoal sparks are visible) then aluminium fountains with some 3mm pieces of flying fish which act similar to coloured microstars.
10 1/4" nozzleless rockets with +10% al atomized in the fuel for a silver effect all fused together about 7 seconds apart
2x 3 shot cakes with 3/4" tubes, mini shells which contain some crackling microstars and others with charcoal based microstars, also some flying fish in another
4x 1" shells with blue falling leaf fuse
5x 2" starmines (bag-mine type) with 2 charcoal based, 2 aluminium based and 1 with bleser reds
at least 10x 1/2" rockets with 2" cylindrical headers, mixtures of perc based red, charcoal and aluminium effects, and slightly bigger crackling microstars which seem to crackle longer than normal ones, maybe some with 1/4" salutes in.
a few 1/2" single shot candles which I might decide to fuse together to make a big cake
2x 4" willow effect shells for the finale, fused together to go off 2 seconds apart

(I know its over a month away but I like to get started early planning and making)

If I still have some time near to nov 5th I plan to make a silver & gold waterfall too.
You can never have a long enough fuse...

#2 Karl

Karl

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 06:37 PM

Just this minute decided to organise my display to be honest. I've got a 300 acre farm to use so im using every inch to my advantage.

Once again using the contact that I used last year for my fireworks, but this year is going to be super huge! With in excess of ?7000 worth of fireworks.

#3 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 08:53 PM

Someone's in the money, 7k on fireworks? I spend about a hundredth of that on display fireworks every year.

I'm planning a waterfall, some lances, a fair bit of rocket volleys, the odd 3-4" shell, and mines.

#4 EnigmaticBiker

EnigmaticBiker

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 01:40 PM

I'm going for glitter/coloured/silver cones, waterfall, a few mines, bp rockets, a couple of saxons, etc

Also will be recreating some old fireworks, mocked up Astra or Standard bangers, Ripraps and if I get around to it Traffic lights and Roman candles, old garden stuff really.

Have been preparing materials for a few weeks now and am heartily sick of making tubes/cones. Will make the compositions nearer the time to avoid storage problems.

I particularly like cones for their increasing height, projecting Mg fragments or charcoal with BP, for instance.

Wouldn't really call it a display as such, mostly experiments.

>Pyromaniac303
You've really put some work into that lot, a pretty extensive range.

Reminds me to make some crackling stars.
What formulation are you using for them?

#5 pendulum

pendulum

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 01:47 PM

I'll be happy if I can manage to make some BP rockets with very basic headers by Nov 5. :)

#6 Rip Rap

Rip Rap

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 02:56 PM

Also will be recreating some old fireworks, mocked up Astra or Standard bangers, Ripraps and if I get around to it Traffic lights and Roman candles, old garden stuff really.

That's exactly the kind of thing I will be doing :) I love recreating the old blue touchpaper garden fireworks. I even go to http://www.fireworkmuseum.co.uk/ & download labels to print out to use.
I am planning on - jumping crackers, "swell head" rockets, candles, helicopters, catherine wheels & fountains.
I can't wait :D
"Choose a job that you love & you will never do a days work in your life!"

#7 EnigmaticBiker

EnigmaticBiker

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:13 AM

That's exactly the kind of thing I will be doing :) I love recreating the old blue touchpaper garden fireworks. I even go to http://www.fireworkmuseum.co.uk/ & download labels to print out to use.
I am planning on - jumping crackers, "swell head" rockets, candles, helicopters, catherine wheels & fountains.
I can't wait :D

Great stuff. :D
Haven't printed off any labels yet, but will, Karlfoxman posted this great link on the Nostalgia thread:-

http://www.cyber-her...lery6/main.html

I almost forgot to mention catherine wheels.
Will need to get some correctly coloured touchpaper, if I recall it had a satin finish, calendered perhaps?

Have fun. :)

#8 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:44 PM

Reminds me to make some crackling stars.
What formulation are you using for them?

Im using:
81 bismuth trioxide
9 copper oxide
9 100 mesh magnalium

had good results in the past and I had just the right amount of bismuth trioxide left for 99g (yes I know maybe it should add up to 100)

Hoping I will get the whole display finished, moving house soon :(

#9 EnigmaticBiker

EnigmaticBiker

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 09:55 AM

Im using:
81 bismuth trioxide
9 copper oxide
9 100 mesh magnalium

had good results in the past and I had just the right amount of bismuth trioxide left for 99g (yes I know maybe it should add up to 100)

Hoping I will get the whole display finished, moving house soon :(

Thanks, I'll have to get some bismuth trioxide pronto to be in time.

Almost forgot to mention I'll be mounting various devices on boards for set pieces/safety.

Hope your move goes well.

#10 Stew

Stew

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 02:10 PM

Urm well im involved with one of the lwews bonfire societys so our display will actually be on the 4th but near enough. We have everything in our displays really! anywhere up to 12" shells and a few hundred 3 and 4" shells :D the one we did last year was huge we spent over ?11000 on fireworks. was a good night and to cap it off we let off 4x 300000 firecrackers at the same time! slightly deaf after that!

#11 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 04:02 PM

Urm well im involved with one of the lwews bonfire societys so our display will actually be on the 4th but near enough. We have everything in our displays really! anywhere up to 12" shells and a few hundred 3 and 4" shells :D the one we did last year was huge we spent over ?11000 on fireworks. was a good night and to cap it off we let off 4x 300000 firecrackers at the same time! slightly deaf after that!

Did I read that right? 4 X 300000 firecrackers at the same time? Over 1 million firecrackers?

#12 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 05:59 PM

I'm going for glitter/coloured/silver cones

I have had problems pressing cones, can't seem to get the consolidation right. Is there some method of compacting them easily? I ended up trying to press by hand and most of the time it works, but occasionally get badly compacted ones that burn too rapidly and destroy themselves (assuming its caused by air gaps/cracks/loose powder in the comp).

Been working on my bag-mines today, and putting some small 1" crackling shells in them with some chrys#6 stars. Going to test a scaled down one on sunday along with a few other things, will maybe post vids if I can get my camera working properly.

?11,000 sounds a very impressive display! I don't plan on using commercial ones they make mine look worse :P

Edited by pyromaniac303, 06 October 2006 - 06:01 PM.

#13 Stew

Stew

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:39 PM

Yep over a million firecrackers and standing literally 1 foot away with my back to them! was a bit of fun! down at the firesite we had a 300000 firecracker strung round the clergy stand with a few spanish 9's fused into it. was pretty good to! has any1 seen lewes bonfire before?

#14 James P

James P

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 01:32 PM

Hopefully i will be helping out Pains with one of their displays. This will be my 1st time so its very unlikely that ill be firing but even helping out will be great fun!
I'm sorry, how long did you say the fuse was?

#15 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:48 AM

Ok, here are the tests I actually managed to catch on camera:

Silver trail 1/2" rocket with small charcoal header

1.5" starmine, only caught half on video (20x8mm chrys#6 stars and 5g lift)

Apologies for the bad filming, next time I plan on teaching my mum how to use the video camera instead of the video function on my digital camera, which is impossible to aim even in the light when you know what your trying to film.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users