• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 spiderman.web

spiderman.web

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 June 2003 - 09:48 PM

I only have a small amount, about 25g, what would you suggest I do with it?

Any experiments, interesting facts about it?

Edited by Richard H, 21 December 2005 - 03:30 PM.

#2 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 28 June 2003 - 09:52 PM

No, Simply put, Don't touch the stuff.

#3 spiderman.web

spiderman.web

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 June 2003 - 10:09 PM

fair enuf, thanks for the warning

#4 PanMaster

PanMaster

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 28 June 2003 - 11:05 PM

Nah, I heard its good for flash mixtures, try it with glycerine too. Its an excellent common lab oxidiser, wonderful stuff

#5 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 12:17 AM

I heard holding a burning maroon is a good way to excersise your hand, but I wouldnt try it. Take the advice from Richard. Pot permanganate can be very sensitive.

[Edited on 29-6-2003 by adamw]

#6 bernie

bernie

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 02:29 AM

As tempting as it can be it is important to remember that the fireworks industry uses certain chemicals for a reason. The big reason is that they want to live to make fireworks another day.

Stick with the tried and true stuff.

:)

#7 zanes

zanes

The pimply youth of pyro!!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 01:14 PM

what comps is pot. permanganate dangerous in?

I used it in iron filing fountains, had no probs

#8 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 01:18 PM

Potassium Permanganate is always dangerous. Dont use it. It is a powerfull and unstable oxidiser.

#9 hosto

hosto

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 06:15 AM

mix it with glycerin (a couple of drops of it will do) and it will spontaneously combust...a mix of sulphur, permanganate and some kind of metal powder, with a few drops of glycerin placed on it should be pretty nice

#10 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 06:24 AM

The above is true. However it should not be used beyond the scope of a demonstration. It is advisable to wear PPE when doing this. The fumes given off won't be very nice!

#11 Steve

Steve

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 08:18 AM

Permang is dangerouse stuff, i used to mix it wtih atommized ally years ago, fresh it was a nice grey colour, leave it 5 hours or so it will go geen, leave it 3 days it won't burn, cos its reacting at room temp. Really don't store it, and don't mix it into firework comps.

I would reccomend the glycernene as its quite interesting and gives some respect for the oxidizer.

Also mix it roughly (outside on paper, don't pestle and motar it) with about 1:1 volume wize with normal sugar. Put on a brick and rub it with a metal spoon, will ignite.

Take care with both these experiments, but they are good way to used up your potmang. They demontrate it is chemically unstable and mixtures are sensitive to friction and impact.

Steve

#12 Dave Angel

Dave Angel

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 05:43 PM

and if you are into synthetic chemistry at all its handy for oxidation reactions, eg secondary alcohols to ketones or primary aldehydes>carboxylic acids, I've got some too and thats what i'm gonna use it for!

#13 Dave Angel

Dave Angel

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 05:46 PM

i meant of course primary alcohols to aldehydes and then carboxylic acids... im off to learn how to think and type at the same time.....

#14 KNO3

KNO3

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 12:00 AM

Could somebody give us a quick run down of the dangers of KMnO4? Ive had a look at the MSDS for it and it looks pretty messy stuff. Ive seen it with Al, seemed pretty rediculous, something you would have to give great respect. What are the dangers of aquireing Manganese poisening? Ive learnt that it is readily absorbed into skin, I assume that protective clothing is required when handelling. Also, ive heared that its comps can be ignighted by moisture, is this true?
Thanks. :)

#15 chemicalwazi

chemicalwazi

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 09:16 AM

Permanganate (on paper/tissue) x1 + Antifreeze (glycol based) x2 = spontanious combustion :D
Like Richard says its a lab demonstration and gives off nasty's. Do it outside and wear PPE.
"The Saltpeter is the Soule, the Sulphur the Life, and the Coales the Body of it"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users