41 replies to this topic

#31 EnigmaticBiker

EnigmaticBiker

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:29 PM

Just wondering, in anti-freeze, will it be useable for this experiment if it has "CONTAINS ETHYLENE GLYCOL" written on the back?

Thats what "glycol based" refers too in the previous post.

Some cheap anti-freezes are based on alcohols such as methanol or mixtures of alcohols/glycols.

If you try it and it doesn't work, don't leave the mixture around, dilute with water and flush away.

#32 Zinginex

Zinginex

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:31 PM

Thats what "glycol based" refers too in the previous post.

Some cheap anti-freezes are based on alcohols such as methanol or mixtures of alcohols/glycols.

If you try it and it doesn't work, don't leave the mixture around, dilute with water and flush away.

Ok yeah Thanks. I'm thinking that it will probably contain a lot of alcohol.

#33 BigBang

BigBang

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:37 PM

I know this is off topic, but NG is very sensitive, specially when unpure and WILL detonate from heat alone.

Many moons ago, when i was young, inexperienced and stupid, i dabbled with tiny amounts of different HE's, and i used to detonate NG by heating. Its not a straight forward procedure, and im not going to elaborate, but it will definitely detonate from heat alone.

Im only mentioning this, as from reading the last few posts, it gives the impression that the stuff is fairly safe, but IT ISNT!! I know theres a fascination with things that go bang, specially with younger people, but dont ever consider making it, or any other HE. I got away with it, but that doesnt mean you will. :unsure:

#34 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 04:40 PM

I think the main point of the last few posts was that it is safer than the movie industry makes it out to be. It does seem to downplay the safety needed though. It certainly is safer in my eyes than certain other commonly made high energy compounds made by the inexperienced. I have a fairly signifigant chemistry background, and even I don't really like messing with things like NG. That part of my life is behind me anyway. Pure Pyro nearly exclusively.

#35 BigBang

BigBang

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:18 PM

I understand what you guys were saying, but i was concerned that a newbie reading those posts might get the impression that it is a relatively safe H.E. to mess with. I just wanted to point out that it isnt.

My H.E. years are behind me also....well behind! Pyro is much more interesting.

#36 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:30 PM

Bigbang:

I and many other have met you, we know your not interested in anything to do with HE, as kids most of us have been amazed with the power of reactions. To point out what Bigbang has said, HE is very dangerous and not to be messed with. Anyone saying otherwise will be dealt with.

#37 BigBang

BigBang

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:56 PM

Quite rightly so.....Amen to that! :)

#38 pkhow

pkhow

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:01 AM

On the possible safe uses of KMnO4. I have used it for a long time in the past for making a very slow burning fuse. I mix it with Nuetral cure clear silicon and then force it through a very large syringe body cut on the end to give the fuse size i want. The thicknes seems to have little to do with the burn rate and is only likley to go out if very thin, I am interested to hear from others as to the wisdom of this and any possible dangers.
PKH

#39 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 07:05 PM

I don't know exactly what is in your silicone, but often times they are cured by an acetic acid catalyst. This does not like KMnO4. First of all it is acidic, and thus has the potential to form Manganese Heptoxide, which I can assure you that you do not wish to form. It may cause self ignition of the fuse, or anything the fuse is in. The other possibility, is that the Permanganate oxidises the acetic acid to CO2 and H2O. This would cause airbubbles in the fuse, and a rather inconsistant burn rate. I don't think this part would be a problem though as there isn't a whole lot of acetic acid in the silicone to my knowledge. I would still be worried about the manganese heptoxide though.

#40 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 12:21 AM

potassium permanganate,unstable,poisonous,not suitable for pyro,whats it used for?just interested

#41 Asteroid

Asteroid

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 09:14 PM

Cleaning algae and other living organisms out of things like water butts and chemistry demos with glycerine for reduction/oxidation reactions.

#42 KNO3

KNO3

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 01:26 PM

and if you are into synthetic chemistry at all its handy for oxidation reactions, eg secondary alcohols to ketones or primary alcohols -> aldehydes -> carboxylic acids, I've got some too and thats what i'm gonna use it for!

Thats a miss quote, however he did correct himself to that in his following post.

That is one thing it can be used for, I personally use Potassium Dichromate for these reactions, although that stuff can be even nastyer!!! Carboxylic Acids are used to make esters, which are the no.1 ingredient of most perfumes, very smelly things.

It used to be, and still is used to treat external fungi on the body, most commonly atheletes foot, and does so very effectively. You end up with a purple/brown stain on your skin for a few days. It is a very effective dissinfectant.

I use it in the lab for making oxygen gas, again, a more effective alternative to this is Sodium/Potassium Chlorate.

So alot of the time you can avoid it, in the lab we prefer to use Potassium Permangante instead of chlorates because its safer, and less harmfull.

Also, i would not suggest poring it down the sink, doesnt do any bacteria based sewage treatment plants any good, and doesnt do the fisheys and good either.

PS: Haha, i can see one of my old posts in the first page of this thread, that was a long time ago, ive answered all those questions myself!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users