• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 PyroNitrate

PyroNitrate

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 02:13 AM

I'm new to pyrotec, nice to meet you all.

I recentally purchased (2 pounds of German Dark 600 grade) and 5 pounds of potassium prochlorate).

I cannot find details on making a good mix of flash powder or even how to mix it. Can someone please explain how to do this. And also what would be a good amount of flash powder to put into a 1'8 inch m80 tube?

Have an explosive 4'th all thanks for the help.

#2 Matt

Matt

Another Aussie Trying To take Over

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 02:44 AM

Am I the only one who's scared?

#3 Burn to live

Burn to live

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 03:45 AM

Holy crap. Ok if your a beggining Pyro, stop! don't kill your self.

#4 PyroNitrate

PyroNitrate

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 03:48 AM

I realise it is Very dangerous to mix your own powder considering the sensitivity of the substance and i am prepared to take that risk. Please tell me a proper way to mix it with good results, the amounts to use and the amount to put in a m80 tube. Thanks for your help.

#5 Matt

Matt

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 04:56 AM

I wouldnt be able to help you there. I have never touched the stuff. If you look hard enough you can find a page about it. I can think of 2 off the top of my head, however if you cant find them then you probably shouldnt be making flash.

-Matt

#6 PyroNitrate

PyroNitrate

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 04:57 AM

That wasent a very kind comment, The one at United Nuclear is GONE, and the other one doesnt explain what i need.

#7 Matt

Matt

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 05:08 AM

What makes you think you know what pages im thinking of? The way you said that the page from united nuclear was gone would suggest that youve found it, if you were so inclined to make flash then wouldnt you have taken notes? Im not trying to be mean or anything but I just dont think a begginer should make flash. Ive been going for 2 or so years and still wouldnt dream of making it, you havnt said how long youve been doing this for anyway, lets get acquainted shall we?

-Matt

#8 PyroNitrate

PyroNitrate

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 05:10 AM

Ok, well il talk to you in a more appropriate place, do you have msn messsanger or AIM? if you do my S/N for aim is vodocallin and my sn for msn is nickisabailey@hotmail.com msg me..

#9 bernie

bernie

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 05:26 AM

that the first thing a newer guy wants to do is make big fire crackers. I cannot stress enough that you need to slow way down and get a wee bit more experience before messin' around with the KCLO4 & Al.

HOWEVER, I seriously doubt we can convince you not to. You will no doubt persist so at least do the following......

1. Very small quanities. Not a gram, not a half a gram. Do very small fractions of a gram.

2. Mix this tiny amount on a sheet of paper. Put your mix right in the middle and pull a corner of the paper towards the middle. You will see that it rolls the mixture. Very little of this corner rolling is required to get a good mix.

3. Wear gloves, a safety mask, cotton clothing, ground yourself against static electricity.

There are serious risks involved. You really need to stop and take a breather. No body on this forum wants to see you get hurt. Honest to God we don't.
When something bad happens it does so real fast. You won't have time to pull your fingers away or cover your face.

Please reconsider.:)

#10 PyroNitrate

PyroNitrate

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 05:28 AM

il be careful.

#11 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 06:32 PM

Hard to believe:

You bought all the ingredients to make flash but dont know how to do it.. rather like buying all the ingredients to a cake and then not knowing how to bake it.

Please slow way way down. If you had bought a pound of Potassium nitrate, sulphur and charcoal, to make a fountain perhaps, then maybe the forum members wouldnt have been so shocked.

#12 blasterbert

blasterbert

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 02:30 PM

hi pyro.....stop.put those chems away for now and try makeing b p first.stars is a good one.do not make flash 1 tiny mistake and BANG bye bye hand or worse ya life.i have got a lot of years under my belt in makeing flash i know of 8 different ways of makeing it and i am still nervous of doing it.all the best....be carefull.

#13 PyroNitrate

PyroNitrate

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 02:31 PM

Thanks for yourt concern blast.

#14 Steve

Steve

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 04:13 PM

Not entirly sure how seriously he is taking this. Flash is a very advanced mix and not ever to be made as your first comp. Try BP. you can wack it and rub it between files, dill into it to your hears content without having to worrey about it blowing up in your face. Even if you set fire to it it will only burn you don't have to worry about its own weight causing confinement.

Hands up who is worried.

Its a shame this isn't rec.pyro I think the guyes just copy and paste a pre written article every time they hear M80.

Steve

Yay black powder, the nice starting block for all pyros.

#15 maca134

maca134

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 July 2003 - 06:47 PM

Too be honest, i think smokes are a better starting point, KNO3+Sugar

Then BP, my m8 made some the other day, there was nothing amazing in the way he made it, but when we lit it, i was shocked by the intencity it burnt compared to smokes

I seriously recommend, start from the begining, smokes, bp...etc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users