32 replies to this topic

#31 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 10:04 PM

Another question I have is would it be possible to make black powder that disintegrates its cardboard tube like flash does? Would it have a similar report? Any advice on recommended chemicals to use for BP salutes like this?

Junglism, welcome to the forum, but you don't need to disintegrate the tube for a good effect. The 'boom' from well made BP is often much more satisfying than the 'crack' of flash.

As a bit of silliness (and mods please delete if inappropriate), I was interested to try a theatrical 'suspended airburst' effect safely over the holiday - 5g of riced BP with 2g dragons egg granules (<1mm) in a 3/4" x 2.5" tube with thin card end caps, hung clear of all hazards. Here's the vid:

Purple Dragon burst

The video doesn't capture the 'thud' of the burst, but the audience reaction gives a hint :) Oh, and the tube itself survived intact.... No need for flash here, so friends... work on your BP...

Edited by BrightStar, 05 January 2007 - 10:56 PM.

#32 rocket

rocket

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 12:11 AM

And here is what happens when you hit a small amount with a hammer :

BTW that’s not a video of flash, its some idiot hitting a burning spray can.

Edited by rocket, 06 January 2007 - 12:11 AM.

#33 junglism

junglism

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 04:37 AM

Quote - "This is safer than the chlorate based flash you mention, which should never be made under any circumstances. You shouldnt mix chlorate and metal powders, as its very unstable, and chlorate with sulphur is even more unstable."

Yes, I realise that, I was using an example of the commonly misused combination of chems. The thought of actually using that combo never even crossed my mind! I like my eyebrows thanks.. :P
I'm gonna stick to learning BP first..

Thanks for your advice, I "salute" you... :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users