Steve

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 03:16 PM

Originally posted by Public
Dear Mr Harwood,

I am a little disgusted that you condole the actions that YOU yourself have posted. 

Playing with dangerous Chemicals and then telling people to strike the mentioned chemicals to see what happens is in my view VERY childish and indeed a VERY dangerous statement.

I presume you are licenced to hold these chemicals and have a factory licence to permit you to mix and manufacture these composites?

I look forward to reading your explination as to these instructions on " How to seriously hurt yourself or even KILL yourself"

Public.

Just so I can have my 2 cents on this topic:
There are a couple of areas of pyrotechnics that have very complex chemistry and interesting reactions namely - easy to make high/primary explosives and spontaneously combustible materials. These have a alluring attraction to almost everyone. And I'm sure loads of you here has made some of
- KClO3 + Petroleum jelly
- KClO3 + Sulphur
- Potassium Tri Iodide
- KMnO4 + Glycerine

I know I have.
The thing is the more everyone says not to make them the more people want to try it. We need to accept that, and instead of warning against it so much we need to describe how to experiment with these unstable mixtures in a (relatively) safe manner - and yes it can be done - as I said I've made all the above mixtures and without accident, It just requires care. After reading these treads (been away a looong time) I feel it necessary so write up an experiment procedure so people can try these safely. Will get back on that one though.

Stay safe

#17 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 06:17 PM

is KClO3 + Petroleum jelly very powerful?how do you detonate it? is it more powerful than black powder or flash powder?

#18 BOBO

BOBO

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 09:52 PM

Although I am a new member could I please just say that pyrotechnics is not a safe hobby and anyone here will, im sure agree that they have decided to enjoy it even though there are great risks involved. Are we all happy with that?

KClO3+petroleum jelly is indeed more powerfull than both BP and Flash powder which are both low explosives. KClO3+Petroleum jelly is similar to ANFO. To detonate this explosive I recomend 2 grams of PETN.
Sorry, slightly off topic.

#19 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 04:59 PM

similar to ANFO? are yo sure?ANFO is very powerful but is a bugger to ignite. will HMTD work to light the petrolium and KCl03?

#20 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 07:37 PM

Folks, We are dangerously wondering off topic...remember this_is a pyro forum...

BTW: Welcome BOBO! :cool:

#21 BOBO

BOBO

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 08:48 PM

Quickly....lets keep it on topic. Hmtd will work fine for DETONATING this particular explosive. Igniting like a deflagrating low explosive will simply create a lovely flare effect.

The similarity between ANFO and KClO3+Vaseline is that they are both sprengal explosives, cheap and easy to produce and have low detonation velocitys.

Anyway back to the topic at hand...

#22 BOBO

BOBO

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 09:06 PM

KClO3+S does indeed explode when struck with a most ear splitting bang, but I have never seen it do much more than burn slowly upon ignition. Why is this? My last guess was that the low melting and ignition temp of the Sulphur meant it burmt off before the Chlorate had a chance to decompose.

Remeber everyone that When Chlorate was invented many companys opened trying to sell high power powders. Is it coincidence that none of them exist today?

#23 robert johnson

robert johnson

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 09:35 PM

Can I please remind you politely that these forums are for pyrotechnics. The disscusion of so called home made high explosives will not be tolerated on this site. continued threads and replys on these topics will be removed with out any more notification.

This thread has been closed

[Edited on 29-4-2003 by Richard H]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users