• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#16 cplmac

cplmac

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 02:12 AM

Well, I finished pressing the 4 pounder tonight, and I stripped out the threading on my spindle while trying to remove it from the motor. This really sucks, There's gotta be 200 grams of fuel in that motor. I'm gonna call Wolter on Monday and see what he says, if he doesn't need the original spindle this motor is gonna me a monster of a whistle fountain. Back in an hour or so with the other two rockets from tonight.

#17 cplmac

cplmac

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 03:04 AM

1lb End Burning Chlorate Whistle to Report, a screamer but not a flyer

3lb Ti Whistle to Chlorate Whistle Delay to Blue Stars

I think I might use Copper Oxychloride as the catalyst in my next batch of chlorate whistle, should give a bit more thrust. Gotta check for interactions first.

#18 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 08:02 AM

3lb Ti Whistle to Chlorate Whistle Delay to Blue Stars

That rocket rocks! But maybe you should change the delay between apogee
and shell burst a bit in favor of security matters :)

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#19 cplmac

cplmac

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 09:21 AM

That rocket was pretty close to apex, it was coasting when the head blew. The core of that motor was Ti, as soon as the Ti stopped it was in delay. Unfortunately only about half the stars fired up.

#20 cplmac

cplmac

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 02:54 AM

4lb whistle to chlorate whistle delay to Tiger Tail report

My camera did not catch the faint TT break, which was nothing more than a 2.5" TT comet on top of the rocket which had about 20 grams of flash above the delay. The HD camera caught it pretty nicely but I haven't gotten it rendered to avi yet. This will be my last 4 pound rocket for awhile, my spindle sheared off in the core when I was trying to extract it from this motor. The motor worked but my tooling is trashed.

#21 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:20 AM

That was one scary rocket! (in a good way) What camera are you using? I'm looking to buy one but until its bought and tried its a bit of a minefield choosing a suitable one

#22 cplmac

cplmac

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:55 AM

The last few videos were shot with an Olympus C-770 Ultra Zoom. It is a 4 megapixel still photo cam that has an MPG4 video capability at 640X480. The real kicker is the microphone, this camera has a ridiculousely good microphone. It has a better mic than our $3500 dollar HD Sony. Of course the Sony mic is absolute crap, pretty sad because the rest of the camera is great.

#23 overflow

overflow

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:09 AM

Posted Image
:blink: :D smiley ahoy!

#24 cplmac

cplmac

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 02:42 PM

Hah! I knew someone was going to catch that! That is the 8' diameter smiley face set piece for our show, it is mounted in the berm of our mortar pits right behind my rocket launching tube about two feet.

#25 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:32 PM

Of course the Sony mic is absolute crap, pretty sad because the rest of the camera is great.

If you want to get a mic for the Sony, try one of these

I've wanted to record some salutes with one of those for quite some time :D

Edited by Creepin_pyro, 17 April 2007 - 09:32 PM.

#26 cplmac

cplmac

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:53 PM

That looks like a really nice bass mic, but I need full range sound. We have been kicking around the idea of picking up a boom mic for the camera for awhile. It's a Sony FX-1 so there should be a good selection of mic's out there to choose from. Good news, I fixed the 4lb strobe tooling today. I bored out the original screw hole that secured the base to the spindle, rethreaded it for a larger screw and milled it out and inserted three new larger tension pins to prevent shear in the future. Pressed a Ti whistle rocket with it today, film at 11.

#27 cplmac

cplmac

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:20 AM

1 gallon fireball, really crappy video

Red Ghost Mine, first attempt. overlifted

4lb Ti Whistle to Blue Stars

#28 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:35 AM

Haha you´re so funny. Because you´re the only pyro I know who combines a 100m run with every device you fire :P

In my opinion, the whisle sound always sounds so scary... I kind of like it but its so different from all these bought devices´ sound!
Did you just add a bit Ti or something to the whistle mix to create such a nice tail?!

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#29 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:54 PM

That looks like a really nice bass mic, but I need full range sound. We have been kicking around the idea of picking up a boom mic for the camera for awhile. It's a Sony FX-1 so there should be a good selection of mic's out there to choose from.

I was thinking more along the lines of hooking something like a SM-58 twinned with the bass mic into a portable mixing desk and going from there... It's sorta alot of trouble to go to just to record some nice bassy chest-thumpers, but I'm sure the results would be interesting ; )

#30 cplmac

cplmac

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:39 PM

I would love to have a bass mic wired into the recording setup, but we are going to be using the setup to record our shows this year so we do need full range. My brother wants stereo for some reason, at any rate we picked up a mic last nite. It's a Sony MSD-1. Not sure how good it is yet but we'll find out soon enough.

And Paul that tail was from the Ti. It was a perch/sally whistle with 10% Ti sponge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users