• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#46 cplmac

cplmac

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:35 AM

6lb Ti Whistle to 3" cylinder salute. Long delay on the motor.

#47 cplmac

cplmac

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:19 PM

8" Lampare

My friend made this a couple of weeks ago and we shot it at a club shoot last weekend. There is a 2.5" chain and a homemade 4" salute leading up to the lamp.

#48 overflow

overflow

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:39 PM

8" Lampare

My friend made this a couple of weeks ago and we shot it at a club shoot last weekend. There is a 2.5" chain and a homemade 4" salute leading up to the lamp.

Very nice :)

#49 cplmac

cplmac

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 06:42 AM

Got a few more folks.

1 Gallon Fireball

New mix for me, 2lb oxy whistle

4lb Oxy Whistle

3lb Red Strobe, slight malfunction but very cool sound

2lb 3 Stage rocket headed with Red Strobe to Report

#50 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 03:41 PM

6lb Ti Whistle to 3" cylinder salute. Long delay on the motor.

wow thats great " three seconds" what was the height!,ps where are you getting your 6lb tubes,buy or rolling yourself?is your nozzle 1/2" on that!

#51 cplmac

cplmac

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:22 AM

I bought the 6lb tubes from HobbyHorse in Madison WI. They are NEPT tubes, which allows me to press these rockets without a sleeve. And yes the nozzle diameter is 1/2", you can really see the grain of your motor in these sixes.

#52 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:33 AM

AMAZING stuff you´re building and posting here! A good feeling to have his own thread for posting stuff, eh? :) Keep the good videos coming!!!

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#53 cplmac

cplmac

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:53 AM

I just got some aluminum roundstock delivered today. I'm going to put it on the lathe and make some different 3,4, and 6 pound spindles. I need to make whistle spindles and then I need to make some intermediate spindles somewhere between strobe and whistle so I can get three distinct pitches out of larger three stage rockets. Should have some in the air by next weekend.

#54 Gavin

Gavin

• UKPS Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:33 AM

I bought the 6lb tubes from HobbyHorse in Madison WI. They are NEPT tubes, which allows me to press these rockets without a sleeve.

That's interesting to know you don't need a sleeve. Cplmac what pressing force do you use? ie lbs on the tooling or divide this by 1.77 to give psi on the actual grain.

Thanks

#55 cplmac

cplmac

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:48 PM

You know, interestingly enough I have just been pressing them hard enough to start lumps in the tube and not until you asked did I bother to even check the overall pressure. I flew one like that a couple months ago and it worked just fine so I have been pressing all my rockets like that. At any rate, the interesting part is that they all work out to about the same pressure where they start to bubble, 2500PSI. This is WAY under the recommended pressure, but it has been working. I'm going to press a few motors tonight with a sleeve at 8000PSI and a few identical motors without the sleeve at 2500 and see if there is a noticeable difference. I think the only difference I might notice is burn duration but it will be an interesting test. I was pressing the 3lb at 800 indicated, 4lb at 1250 indicated, and the 6lb at about 1750 indicated, all of which roughly equal out to around 2500PSI. So essentially the size of the tube doesn't matter all that much, they basically all fail or begin to fail at the same pressure which I find a bit surprising to be honest.

For the record I didn't start doing it this way until a couple of months ago.

Edited by cplmac, 24 July 2007 - 10:54 PM.

#56 cplmac

cplmac

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 05:27 AM

Here is the first rocket I pressed with my first home made tooling. It is a 6lb whistle.

6lb whistle

#57 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:44 AM

A quick question, is 6lb the propellant weight or the total weight of the rocket?

#58 rocket

rocket

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:57 AM

6lb has nothing to do with the weight of the rocket, from what I read its to do with the weight of I think lead ball that fits in the tube or something like that.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by rocket, 28 July 2007 - 12:43 PM.

#59 pudi.dk

pudi.dk

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 12:36 PM

I've read that too, I think it comes from canons. You also specify cannon calibers in pounds.
Videos visit: http://www.pudi.dk

#60 RangerOfFire

RangerOfFire

Snap, crackle, pop

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 01:25 PM

Skylighter has these on its tooling kits.

1Lb = 3/4" ID tube
3Lb = 1" ID tube
6Lb = 1.5" ID tube
>> Status: General Testing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users